Jakecrz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Which to get? Powerblock: Elite 50's vs Sports 9.0 set?

I'm trying to set-up a home gym and I'm eyeing on the powerblocks elite 50's set and Sports 9.0 set since I don't have a lot of space to workout.

I've seen people get the older elite 50's over the newer sports 9.0 set, and I really don't know why. I mean they have the same pricing and weight range, but the only difference that I noticed was the wider handle cavity and the design.

Was there a difference in performance because of the handle? Was there difference in comfort? How bout the durability, is one more superior than the other? Just let me know a significant difference.

I'm sorry for asking this around the forum, and I know many already have asked this question, but I just want an updated answer from you guys since most of the topics that I've found here in BB.com are like 4 years ago.

PS: One of the things that has been holding me back on getting the sports 9.0 was the shipping time if I order them at powerblock.com. it takes about 7-10 days they said. I looked at amazon and the only thing that they had that I wanted was the elite 50's. I wanted the urethane series but it cost about 430 dollars already.

Oh btw, I already crossed out ironmaster dumbbells. I really don't like them despite their amazing durability.

Thank you for providing the information that would greatly help me decide on which to buy.

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    First of all, uncross the Ironmasters... they're clunky to deal with, I know because I have them and I hate them, but man are they nice to use. It's a love/hate relationship. They will also give you the option of going with a fat grip, lots of upgrades at reasonable prices, kettlebel, etc.

Second, the U-series (Urethane) is better than both the Sport and the Classic (Elite)... so consider them if money isn't a huge issue.

Third, when it comes to Powerblock dumbbells, I'd pay real close attention to upgradeability (50lbs may seem like a lot, but most people will outgrow it quickly) and how the adder weights are used between the weight ranges. My preference, if your max is 50lbs would be to just go with Sport 5.0 as they have zero adder weights to mess around with, but unlike 9.0 you can't expand past 50lbs.

Click the following link to see the differences: http://www.powerblock.com/series-differences.php

As a general rule, all else being equal, IMO the Sport > Classic/Elite.
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #25 ▪[M]====[6]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #100 []---[]

snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000) snova031 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bobcat255 View Post
    First of all, uncross the Ironmasters... they're clunky to deal with, I know because I have them and I hate them, but man are they nice to use. It's a love/hate relationship. They will also give you the option of going with a fat grip, etc.

Second, the U-series (Urethane) is better than both the Sport and the Classic (Elite)... so consider them if money isn't a huge issue.

Third, when it comes to Powerblock dumbbells, I'd pay real close attention to upgradeability (50lbs may seem like a lot, but most people will outgrow it quickly) and how the adder weights are used between the weight ranges. My preference, if your max is 50lbs would be to just go with Sport 5.0 as they have zero adder weights to mess around with, but unlike 9.0 you can't expand past 50lbs.

Click the following link to see the differences: http://www.powerblock.com/series-differences.php

As a general rule, all else being equal, IMO the Sport > Classic/Elite.
    I concur with the U-90 comment. I played around with the various Powerblock models in a dealer and the U-90's felt so much better than the others. Also, I told myself I wouldn't need the upgrade kits for a while, but ended up getting the first two to bump them up to 90lbs within the first couple months of ownership. Now I'm adding the 125lb kit as well.

No worries, I wasn't interested at the non-expandable sets anyway

It all narrows down to these:

Elite 50's

Sport 9.0 set 1

U-90 set 1

If money wasn't an issue I'd get U-90. But I'll have to see if I can get it as a graduation/bday/board passer kind of gift. lol.

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Jakecrz View Post
    No worries, I wasn't interested at the non-expandable sets anyway

It all narrows down to these:

Elite 50's

Sport 9.0 set 1

U-90 set 1

If money wasn't an issue I'd get U-90. But I'll have to see if I can get it as a graduation/bday/board passer kind of gift. lol.
    All in "stage 1" form:

Elite 50's (50lb): $300 + $59 shipping
    Sport 9.0 (50lb): $300 + $59 shipping
    U-90 (50lb): $379 + $59 shipping
    Ironmaster (45lb): $319 + $49 shipping

I wouldn't plan on going above 90lbs with any of the above besides IMs. The weight spacing and changing gets cludgy.

If you're really on a budget and relegated to CL, then the Elite/Classic will be the most commonly found model there and you can pick up a set that goes up to 90lbs pretty cheap if you're patient. Keep in mind, Powerblock warranty does NOT transfer. It's only available to the initial purchaser. This doesn't matter so much in case of Urethane, but Sport and Elite use metal connecting rods and those are known to crack if you drop the dumbbell.

If it were me, I would only consider the U-90 set or the IMs (which you've ruled out).

Let us know what you end up with.
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

All in "stage 1" form:

I wouldn't plan on going above 90lbs with any of the above besides IMs. The weight spacing and changing gets cludgy.

If you're really on a budget and relegated to CL, then the Elite/Classic will be the most commonly found model there and you can pick up a set that goes up to 90lbs pretty cheap if you're patient. Keep in mind, Powerblock warranty does NOT transfer. It's only available to the initial purchaser. This doesn't matter so much in case of Urethane, but Sport and Elite use metal connecting rods and those are known to crack if you drop the dumbbell.

If it were me, I would only consider the U-90 set or the IMs (which you've ruled out).

I just ordered the Powerblock U-90 stage 1 set

God dammit!! it says "typically delivers in 7-10 days"! I wish they could deliver it at an earlier date because it's killing me right now. lol

All in "stage 1" form:

God dammit! It says "typically delivers in 7-10 days" I wish they could deliver em' in less than 7 days like tomorrow or 3 days max because the wait is killing me slowly. lol

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

God dammit! It says "typically delivers in 7-10 days" I wish they could deliver em' in less than 7 days like tomorrow or 3 days max because the wait is killing me slowly. lol

I ordered a replacement selector pin for my wife's PB's on the 15th and they showed up yesterday (the 21st), so I'd bet that their shipping estimate is correct.

Excellent customer service, btw.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Sweet, congrats. Did you get a stand with them as well? I'm debating between the U-125 stand and the power station. Not a huge fan of their standard enter column stand.
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

I ordered a replacement selector pin for my wife's PB's on the 15th and they showed up yesterday (the 21st), so I'd bet that their shipping estimate is correct.

Excellent customer service, btw.
    Oh man, I would really appreciate if they miraculously deliver it on an earlier date. lol

Sweet, congrats. Did you get a stand with them as well? I'm debating between the U-125 stand and the power station. Not a huge fan of their standard enter column stand.
    I'd love to get the stand, but sadly I can't because we're moving to another state. The dumbbells was the last thing I wanted to buy for now since it just takes up a small space. I'm gonna get the stand as soon as we settled down there.

Both of the stand has different purpose, more like the other one has an additional feature. If you're looking for a rack that could also be stuff with other gym equipments I suggest getting the powerstation; the U-125 can only hold your Powerblock dumbbells.

I'd get the powerstation for future purposes tho.

I wonder if the delivery includes weekends too.