dvasco83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Broken Tibia and dislocated ankle

I am an OCR enthusiast. Over the last 3 years I have about 30 races under my belt, primarily spartan races since the give the biggest challenge. My goal this year was to finish these races in top 1% and I was able to accomplish that. My final face of the year was the Tri-State Tough Mudder. It was my final run before I planned on hitting the weights heavy and gain back some of the mass I lost from all the OCR training. However, during one of the "teamwork" obstacles where u needed to build a human pyramid the base away and i came crashing down. Breaking my tibia and dislocating my ankle. Lesson learned here is NEVER entrust your saftey in the hands of anyone even if its objective of the obstacle. Regardless, I was pretty devastated.

Looked through alot of posts regarding these type of injuries and what to expect. Lots of mixed info and in reality every injury is unique in it own way. My plan is to update this thread periodically for anyone currently or in the future with a similar situation. Knowledge is power.

Day 1 "Surgery" the procedure was about an hour. I have a smal plate and 4 screws holding my tibia together. Also a long screw was placed through my ankle to align everything and will stay in there for 3 months. Right now i can feel the swelling through my cast and there is pain but it is tolerable(I have a high toilerance to pain probably from all the OCR :P). Doctors orders were to have my foot elevated as much as possible for 72 hours taking pain meds as needed.

After the 72 hours I plan on beginning a supplemental strength training routine focusing on upper body for obvious reasons lol. I will try to include xrays and other visual aids to give a better idea of my injury

sarrafian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dvasco83 View Post
    I am an OCR enthusiast. Over the last 3 years I have about 30 races under my belt, primarily spartan races since the give the biggest challenge. My goal this year was to finish these races in top 1% and I was able to accomplish that. My final face of the year was the Tri-State Tough Mudder. It was my final run before I planned on hitting the weights heavy and gain back some of the mass I lost from all the OCR training. However, during one of the "teamwork" obstacles where u needed to build a human pyramid the base away and i came crashing down. Breaking my tibia and dislocating my ankle. Lesson learned here is NEVER entrust your saftey in the hands of anyone even if its objective of the obstacle. Regardless, I was pretty devastated.

Looked through alot of posts regarding these type of injuries and what to expect. Lots of mixed info and in reality every injury is unique in it own way. My plan is to update this thread periodically for anyone currently or in the future with a similar situation. Knowledge is power.

Day 1 "Surgery" the procedure was about an hour. I have a smal plate and 4 screws holding my tibia together. Also a long screw was placed through my ankle to align everything and will stay in there for 3 months. Right now i can feel the swelling through my cast and there is pain but it is tolerable(I have a high toilerance to pain probably from all the OCR :P). Doctors orders were to have my foot elevated as much as possible for 72 hours taking pain meds as needed.

After the 72 hours I plan on beginning a supplemental strength training routine focusing on upper body for obvious reasons lol. I will try to include xrays and other visual aids to give a better idea of my injury
    Good luck dude! Post some xrays if you can. Do you have to go back in for screw removal in 6-8 weeks?

Originally Posted by sarrafian View Post
    Good luck dude! Post some xrays if you can. Do you have to go back in for screw removal in 6-8 weeks?
    Thanks for the support! Screw removal is in 9 weeks... And if i want i can get the plate and the 4 smaller screws removed in 6 months. Im undecided on that right now

Will probably continue this post on *****://dvasco83.wordpress.com. Much easier to add photos

illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50) illmadden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Seems like you're a highly active guy, so I know this is disheartening for you. Good luck to you and pray you have a speedy recovery.

Originally Posted by illmadden View Post
    Seems like you're a highly active guy, so I know this is disheartening for you. Good luck to you and pray you have a speedy recovery.
    Thank you!

Its a broken Fibula.

Also stsrted a blog at tumblr. Not sure which I like better. davevasco83.tumblr.com