StartingEarly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How to increase running speed, endurance, and agility for football.

I'm a running back and want to increase my speed for running down the field, my agility for moving/juking around the field, and my endurance for long periods of running. I lift everyday with my own routine that I have seen major progress with.
    I don't do cardio very often, but my body is very quick to progressing through any type of training I do. I am not currently playing football, but I plan to next year. I live in Minnesota now, which means that it will be impossible to do any type of running drills outside for the next few months. The gym that I go to has an indoor track however, and I may be able to do some sort of sprinting drills there.
    Any advice on how I can increase those three things would be appreciated.

yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyo5757 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Plyometrics and Strength. Even though Plyos are widely used to increase your vertical jump, they are great for increasing your agility and overall athleticism, if you are looking for a program then check out the jump manual here - http://bit.ly/Thejumpmanual
    If you Dont want to do that then i suggest that you start the strength program starting strength as most likely it will be much better than your program and will get you a great strength base, that by itself should be enough to increase your agility by a good bit, once you have done it for a few weeks than i suggest you look up the program Vertical Jump Bible (If you search for it you can easily find a pdf) and start the beginner plyometric program, just make sure not to overtrain as that can hurt your results.
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask away in this thread or by pm

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by yoyo5757 View Post
    Plyometrics and Strength. Even though Plyos are widely used to increase your vertical jump, they are great for increasing your agility and overall athleticism, if you are looking for a program then check out the jump manual here - http://bit.ly/Thejumpmanual
    If you Dont want to do that then i suggest that you start the strength program starting strength as most likely it will be much better than your program and will get you a great strength base, that by itself should be enough to increase your agility by a good bit, once you have done it for a few weeks than i suggest you look up the program Vertical Jump Bible (If you search for it you can easily find a pdf) and start the beginner plyometric program, just make sure not to overtrain as that can hurt your results.
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask away in this thread or by pm
    Recommending the Jump Manual should be enough reason to stay away.

OP, I'll come back to this, but if you check back on the posts of myself and EndlineTraining, you'll find some good advice.

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    Recommending the Jump Manual should be enough reason to stay away.
    Are you saying that jump manual is bad program or it isn't suited for OPs goals?

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to start argument about jump manual just want to know if the program is legit I'm really sceptical about 10 inches in 12 weeks even for complete novice.
    Last edited by Heimdalll; 10-17-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    Squat: 152,5kgx5
    Bench: 85x5
    Deadlift: 180kgx1

Programs done:
    Starting Strength - 7month
    PHUL - 12 weeks

Currently doing - Madcow's 5x5

Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattPercy1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Work on leg strength as far as weights go and for cardio training do fartlek training, you can do pyramid fartlek or random fartlek but both involve you changing your intensity (speed would be the best variable in your case) for different intervals so your body gets better at going at varied speeds and changing between them.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    see if you can sign up for this http://www.eagansoccer.org/page/show...ity%20training . Although it's put on by Eagan Soccer many other athletes attend (my son has in the past). What Ty teaches is directly applicable to football. Ty Stenzel is the strength coach for UST, you might contact him directly to see if he offers something similar in your area or can recommend other programs.

FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Run economy and proper run mechanics. If you get a leg up on these, you'll be far ahead of the competition when you go on to college, especially if you're going to a Division I school.

Stride length (length of steps), stride frequency (how often you're stepping), fast feet (the speed of your steps), arm action (moving your arms rapidly correlates with faster sprint speeds). When I used to work with Division I athletes, we broke down every phase of running into these mechanics and even more. These should be at the heart of a basic speed development program, in my opinion.
    550/385/655, 285 overhead press, 330 push jerk, 250 weighted dip, 190 weighted pull-up, 413.8 max weighted pull-up, 450 front squat, 365 RFESS, 305 x 2 log press, 400 (per arm) farmer's carry, 370 atlas stone, 31 pull-ups at 247.

www.youtube.com/user/JoeyTheMilitant/videos
    Next competition date(s): November 9th & 10th, 2019.
    Instagram: @hiphopstrongman_reloaded

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Heimdalll View Post
    Are you saying that jump manual is bad program or it isn't suited for OPs goals?

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to start argument about jump manual just want to know if the program is legit I'm really sceptical about 10 inches in 12 weeks even for complete novice.
    I dont have enough experience with the jump manual to see if it legit or not, but for OPs goals it is not. And 10 inches in 12 weeks does seem like a stretch, but I have never trained my vert directly so I wouldn't know.
    "Once more into the fray
    Live and die on this day

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Heimdalll View Post

Anything that makes outlandish claims deserves your scepticism. Especially where the material costs money and is delivered simply and in a cookie-cutter fashion.

Originally Posted by StartingEarly View Post
    I'm a running back and want to increase my speed for running down the field, my agility for moving/juking around the field, and my endurance for long periods of running. I lift everyday with my own routine that I have seen major progress with.
    I don't do cardio very often, but my body is very quick to progressing through any type of training I do. I am not currently playing football, but I plan to next year. I live in Minnesota now, which means that it will be impossible to do any type of running drills outside for the next few months. The gym that I go to has an indoor track however, and I may be able to do some sort of sprinting drills there.
    Any advice on how I can increase those three things would be appreciated.
    Unfortunately, you're not going to get faster by not running. If you can find a short space, you can do this routine.

The simple speed training program I recommend here is 2x5x20. Mark out 20 yards and sprint it. Walk back and do it again. Keep doing that until you've done 5 reps. Then, take a few minutes rest and do it again. That can be done twice or even three times per week.

To build agility, choose a good agility drill (my favourite is the Illinois Drill) and run it with full recovery between reps for about 200 yards. Alternate that with the 2x5x20 workout and you are on your way.

As far as sprint form and economy are concerned, you really need someone to look at your form to recommend the right improvement drills. You'll get most of the way with the simple routine above, though. If you need some catch-all drills to use as part of a warmup, the Mach drills are a great start. They were a staple for Charlie Francis, so they're OK.

Plyometrics are for people who have a basic level of strength. I wouldn't recommend specific plyos until you have established a strength training program and moved past the novice stage. It's not that it would necessarily hurt, but would likely be a complete waste of time. Unfortunately, I don't view a 14 year old who lifts with "his own routine" as having progressed this far.

Some 5 yard starts may help you, too

StartingEarly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    Unfortunately, you're not going to get faster by not running. If you can find a short space, you can do this routine.

The simple speed training program I recommend here is 2x5x20. Mark out 20 yards and sprint it. Walk back and do it again. Keep doing that until you've done 5 reps. Then, take a few minutes rest and do it again. That can be done twice or even three times per week.

To build agility, choose a good agility drill (my favourite is the Illinois Drill) and run it with full recovery between reps for about 200 yards. Alternate that with the 2x5x20 workout and you are on your way.

As far as sprint form and economy are concerned, you really need someone to look at your form to recommend the right improvement drills. You'll get most of the way with the simple routine above, though. If you need some catch-all drills to use as part of a warmup, the Mach drills are a great start. They were a staple for Charlie Francis, so they're OK.

Plyometrics are for people who have a basic level of strength. I wouldn't recommend specific plyos until you have established a strength training program and moved past the novice stage. It's not that it would necessarily hurt, but would likely be a complete waste of time. Unfortunately, I don't view a 14 year old who lifts with "his own routine" as having progressed this far.

Some 5 yard starts may help you, too
    Squat:155x3
    Deadlift:155x8 reps(I will bump the weight up.)
    Bench:125x4
    OHP:70x10

Originally Posted by StartingEarly View Post
    Squat:155x3
    Deadlift:155x8 reps(I will bump the weight up.)
    Bench:125x4
    OHP:70x10
    Definitely increase strength at this stage. Make sure you sprint infront of your coach every week or so, it will amke sure you are keeping a good form.
    "Once more into the fray
    Live and die on this day