Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A little nutrition rant for you all...

I went off a little today on my ********. How many of you heard about the Wellness Family Summit project? It was free to register and for, I think, two weeks in October you get free access for 48 hrs to the live interviews of different nutrition experts, doctors, bloggers, all kinds of people, streamed each day. So far I have watched on on thyroid health and what is really in our foods and I LOVED them both! Packed with information that everyone needs to hear. The one on thyroid health even went as far into detail as talking about our natural circadian rhythms and why it is better to not eat a breakfast full of carbs and sugar (even if it's yogurt) and better to save it for the evening. I am not sure if you can still register on this site, but you all should check it out!

Here is what I said on my FB:

I guess I am just on a health rampage today! I'm listening to this lady talk about her blog and how she does all of this food investigating. Here's a link to her blog. One thing she just talked about was Azodicarbonamide. It is a chemical put in breads (like pilsbury and subway) to evenly distribute air bubbles and cause even rising. When it is heated though, it turns into a CARCINOGEN! Didn't know that! She said she did this huge petition to have it taken out. She goes on to talk about food dyes. In other countries they have to put warning labels on items such as fruit roll ups warning parents of the risks of ingesting the product, but not here in the US. There are so many chemicals in our food here in the US that are banned in other countries. Something is wrong there....

I told my fiance a while back that I didn't want our daughter to be "deprived" of everything yummy in her childhood and his response was really good. He basically said that we are in NO way depriving her. The crap we eat and feed our children these days because of convenience is SAD. What's worse is that people just choose to remain oblivious or tell themselves that they are going to be the exception. Wrong. So, when I don't want my daughter eating regular fruit snacks, suckers, cookies, ice cream, and other processed fake food it isn't because I'm stuck up or just because we can afford to buy her organic things. It is because I care about my daughters health and development and want to protect her from the downward spiral that America is following blindly. I wish that more people would stand behind us and see that giving your kids junk food is no reward at all in the long run. If she wants cookies and ice cream thats fine, I will either make it myself or buy the organic stuff when its on SALE! ; )

Here is a link to one of the video's if it will work:

http://wellnessfamilysummit.com/vani-hari/

Hand Down, Man Down AestheticNoz's Avatar
    AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AestheticNoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think the key is everything in moderation. It is important to feed your child nutritious food so they have energy throughout the day for all that running, jumping, skipping and learning.

You should allow them to have junk food once or twice a month without using it as a treat. They also need to be taught about nutrition. I see far too many 9 year olds who don't even track their macros. It makes me sick...

I once knew a friend whose parent's forbid him to eat any kind of junk food, he now drives a forklift and weighs 400lbs.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good for you, but I don't feel any foods need to be off limits. Moderation is key and I'd be more concerned about the air I breathe.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lblake1991 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do allow my daughter to eat some "junk" food, but i get the kind that isn't actual junk. I will get organic fruit snacks instead of processed ones. I let her eat natural frozen yogurt instead of overly sugary ones, or I make it from frozen banana and peanut butter and she doesn't know the difference. She loves it. She is only 2 (3 in a month) and so in my opinion teaching her healthy habbits now and like you said, nutrition, will stick with her as she gets older. I am not saying not to feed your child sweet things or pizza, but rather to buy or make ones that are not full of the processed and chemical filled crud. I think part of teaching your child about nutrition is teaching them healthier alternatives. Like a grass fed beef burger instead of one from McDonalds.

Originally Posted by AestheticNoz View Post
    I think the key is everything in moderation. It is important to feed your child nutritious food so they have energy throughout the day for all that running, jumping, skipping and learning.

You should allow them to have junk food once or twice a month without using it as a treat. They also need to be taught about nutrition. I see far too many 9 year olds who don't even track their macros. It makes me sick...

I once knew a friend whose parent's forbid him to eat any kind of junk food, he now drives a forklift and weighs 400lbs.

All 9 year olds have phones these days.....no excuses! haha

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Worth checking out: *****://www.********.com/LayneNorton/posts/10103330365931790

I'm not going to pretend that there's not stuff in our food that probably shouldn't be there. To do otherwise would be naive. But people tend to freak out over trace amounts of chemicals that may or may not even be dangerous. Azodicarbonamide is a respiratory irritant when inhaled (though, to be fair, inhaling dihydrogen monoxide leads to death, and we drink that all the time), and its breakdown products cause cancer in rats, though I don't believe the same results were found in humans. The FDA claims Azodicarbonamide is "generally recognized as safe," for whatever that's worth...or not worth. But let's be real here, are trace amounts of this particular chemical worth worrying about, or is it just fear mongering? There's a risk of salmonella in your eggs, trace amounts of heavy metal in your whey protein, and you're getting bombarded by radiation just by living in this universe.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AestheticNoz View Post
    I see far too many 9 year olds who don't even track their macros. It makes me sick...
    You've got to be kidding me? Who the fuk in their right mind would ever have a 9 yr old tracking their macros?

I have taught my children healthy alternatives and I still make it a point to go to McDonalds.

To each their own.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you listened to every single thing that is supposed to kill you... then you would not be able to live on this planet.... yet somehow 7 billion people do everyday.

Basically everything can be a carcinogen if taken too much... even the sun. Do you go outside or do you cower in the basement never seeing the light of day????

I am with kimm, no foods are off limits. My children know about proteins, fats and carbs. I talk to them about how to make healthy food choices, but they also do get snacks... and my daugters dietician is happy about it. Its one of the strategies to keep her cals high is to keep the "junk" in her diet. And her health and weight have never been better, thankfully.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    You've got to be kidding me? Who the fuk in their right mind would ever have a 9 yr old tracking their macros?

I have taught my children healthy alternatives and I still make it a point to go to McDonalds.

To each their own.
    They have the Monopoly game going on... so basically free fries for everyone!!
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cherrybomb2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wish my parents would have made me eat healthier as a kid. I'm amazed when I think of the crap they used to feed us at soccer games, fields trips, Girl Scout Meetings

Capri sun
    rice krispy treats
    fruit snacks
    chips
    sugar cereal
    pop tarts

When I have kids, I wouldn't ban these foods completely, just limit them. When I was a kid, I ate these foods on a daily basis, and they would be parts of my meals.

I remember that eggs with bacon or sausage was considered a 'special' breakfast and cereal was normal, now I can't stand the thought of eating cereal or ego waffles in the morning.

SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyTina will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Cherrybomb2 View Post
    I wish my parents would have made me eat healthier as a kid. I'm amazed when I think of the crap they used to feed us at soccer games, fields trips, Girl Scout Meetings

Capri sun
    rice krispy treats
    fruit snacks
    chips
    sugar cereal
    pop tarts

When I have kids, I wouldn't ban these foods completely, just limit them. When I was a kid, I ate these foods on a daily basis, and they would be parts of my meals.

I remember that eggs with bacon or sausage was considered a 'special' breakfast and cereal was normal, now I can't stand the thought of eating cereal or ego waffles in the morning.
    Wow... are you me? Capri sun was the drink of my household. Pop tarts were the go-to breakfast. A little bit ridiculous... but I love my parents all the same. I doubt where I'd be where I am today without them.

Tina

MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why would you deprive your kids of all fun?

Just ban candy all week and only allow if on saturdays.

Is it normal to go all in or all out in America?

And btw. Get 9 year olds to track macros? Wtf?

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Capri sun
    rice krispy treats
    fruit snacks
    chips
    sugar cereal
    pop tarts

You know...I ate all that^^^ as a kid. And at Mawmaw's house after a long day of playing kickball....building our trails in the woods...playing hide and seek...us cousins would sit down in front of the TV with a gallon of creamy Peter Pan and a large spoon and go to town... But none of us were overweight nor were we unhealthy. In a family that is predominantly overweight to obese, we cousins are still healthy weights. I think it's because our lifestyle was different than most kids today. We always played outside and played sports all through high school and college. We just burned through all those "empty" calories that we took in.

I think for me and my child, the amount of snacks are going to be dependent upon physical activity...and of course eating all their lunch and dinner "healthy" foods. A day of playing video games you aren't getting away with eating a cup of PB and a half bag of wavy Lay's.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    You know...I ate all that^^^ as a kid. And at Mawmaw's house after a long day of playing kickball....building our trails in the woods...playing hide and seek...us cousins would sit down in front of the TV with a gallon of creamy Peter Pan and a large spoon and go to town... But none of us were overweight nor were we unhealthy. In a family that is predominantly overweight to obese, we cousins are still healthy weights. I think it's because our lifestyle was different than most kids today. We always played outside and played sports all through high school and college. We just burned through all those "empty" calories that we took in.

I think for me and my child, the amount of snacks are going to be dependent upon physical activity...and of course eating all their lunch and dinner "healthy" foods. A day of playing video games you aren't getting away with eating a cup of PB and a half bag of wavy Lay's.
    SAME. Don't get me wrong, my parents didn't give my brother and I access to unlimited candy either, but breakfast every day was either Pop-Tarts or sugar cereal (because my mom was sick of fighting to get food into us, and knew that at least that way we'd eat something), I drank pretty much nothing but Capri-Suns, Powerade, and chocolate milk, and I generally got to have a pack of fruit snacks or two each day. In spite of that, I was a skin-and-bones twig and looking back at pictures, you'd wonder if my mom fed me at all. We were just active as kids. I played school sports from 3rd grade on, and whenever we had free time and the weather was at least somewhat amenable, we'd be outside running around (and when the weather sucked, we'd be in the basement running around and making fortresses with the old worn-out couch my parents had down there). My parents bought us a video game console, but we were only allowed to play it on weekends (3 hours between Friday-Sunday...it was originally supposed to be an hour per day, but in the days of no save files, we convinced my mom that it took well over an hour to blow through the easy levels before we even got to the hard part).

I think that putting anything off-limits is setting your kid up to go crazy once they're on their own. Look what happens when kids get to college and suddenly have alcohol? I feel like not letting your kid have junk food will make them do the same thing with Mountain Dew and brownies (regular brownies, not edibles, which I feel the need to clarify after re-reading that sentence). Kids can get away with a lot nutritionally too, since they're growing like crazy and have a lot of energy for play (and it can be unstructured play for kids who have no interest in organized sports). As long as they're active and not severely deficient in anything, I don't think junk food will hurt them.

Capri sun
    rice krispy treats
    fruit snacks
    chips
    sugar cereal
    pop tarts

This was more what I was trying to get at. It's okay for kids to still have some foods in moderation, but I don't think that should mean 3-4 times per week. I am not telling anyone they are a bad parent or anything if they decide to feed their children certain foods, we all have different opinions. I however make it a point not to take my daughter to McDonalds EVER. Not because it's McDonalds, but because every one is aware of how preservative loaded the food is. I dont even consider it real food. I do take her to places like Chik-fil-a, which is still fast food, but I believe a slightly better quality. Also, I do let my daughter eat pop tarts on occasion, but I buy her organic ones and not the ones full of HFC.

Originally Posted by MrJensenn View Post
    Why would you deprive your kids of all fun?

Just ban candy all week and only allow if on saturdays.

Is it normal to go all in or all out in America?

And btw. Get 9 year olds to track macros? Wtf?
    For the record, I was being sarcastic when I said there's no excuses for them not to track. I would HOPE that guy was joking when he said they should!

I feel like that's the problem with America. We have been conditioned to think that food has to be "fun" in order to eat it. Since when did a child's idea of "fun" become so concerned with food anyway? Now days everything has to be bright blue in order to eat it or be coated in a sugary shell.

Maybe I worded what I meant wrong somewhere along the way. My daughter eats pancakes, pop tarts, ice cream, fruit snacks, and cookies, but they are either healthier store bought (organic or natural) brands or I make them without processed ingredients. I grew up eating all kinds of junk food as a child and eating at every fast food restaurant under the sun a few times a week. I know you can't avoid every harmful thing in the foods that we eat, but you can knock out a lot of them by making more of a conscious effort to choose healthier options. I once took my daughter to Cold Stone (as a treat) because we had been traveling all day and the ice cream she got was so loaded with sugar (it was bday cake) that she didn't even want to eat it all. I go to the store and I hear parents telling their kids, "If you're good I will take you to McDonalds," for instance. Why can't you take them to the park instead? Or I would much rather buy my kid a new book or small toy than reward her with something that I know isn't good for her. If she goes to a birthday party she still gets to eat cake and so on...

As for the whole IIFYM thing. I'm totally fine with that style of diet, and I tried it for a while, but still tried to make healthy decisions. I'm not going to get my carbs from pop tarts or sugary cereal just because it fits in my macros. I want to fuel my body with more whole/raw foods so it can function to the best of its ability. Although, yes, you all are right an occasional candy bar or some fries isn't going to kill you!

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    IMHO.... I think spending more time encouraging children to be active is more important than worrying incessantly about what your child eats. I'm not saying that a parent should not worry about their child's nutrition, but there should be some balance.

If you want to stick your kid in a bubble, you are more than welcome to do so, I am more inclined to let kids eat dirt if they wanted to.

FWIW OP... I think you use a lot of health buzz words, and am more inclined to believe that you base your food choices off fads rather than science.

really...just really DieselsMom's Avatar
    DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm with Meg and AC. Activity level is everything. I have a 7 and 9 year old, they play organized sports plus most weekends and free time is spent riding their bikes and exploring the neighourhood. I'm lucky I'm in a small town and have friends in the next block but they don't spend hours a day with Ipod in hand or in front of TV or computer screens.

Hubs and I eat relatively "healthy" most meals are prepared in the home but do also enjoy meals out and if I am rushed or running behind my kids get McD's or something from the canteen after hockey practice. They are both skin and bones, my son has 8 pack abs, as they burn all those extra 'bad' calories and I wouldn't change what I feed them for the world. They have learned balance at a young age, have been around me in two contest preps understanding that mommy can't have certain foods but once she is done we are back to normal.

PS> Quotation marks cause I hate those words.
    "That's not sweat that's your fat cells crying" anonymous

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147406883

Originally Posted by lblake1991 View Post
    Maybe I worded what I meant wrong somewhere along the way. My daughter eats pancakes, pop tarts, ice cream, fruit snacks, and cookies, but they are either healthier store bought (organic or natural) brands or I make them without processed ingredients. I grew up eating all kinds of junk food as a child and eating at every fast food restaurant under the sun a few times a week. I know you can't avoid every harmful thing in the foods that we eat, but you can knock out a lot of them by making more of a conscious effort to choose healthier options. I once took my daughter to Cold Stone (as a treat) because we had been traveling all day and the ice cream she got was so loaded with sugar (it was bday cake) that she didn't even want to eat it all. I go to the store and I hear parents telling their kids, "If you're good I will take you to McDonalds," for instance. Why can't you take them to the park instead? Or I would much rather buy my kid a new book or small toy than reward her with something that I know isn't good for her. If she goes to a birthday party she still gets to eat cake and so on...

As for the whole IIFYM thing. I'm totally fine with that style of diet, and I tried it for a while, but still tried to make healthy decisions. I'm not going to get my carbs from pop tarts or sugary cereal just because it fits in my macros. I want to fuel my body with more whole/raw foods so it can function to the best of its ability. Although, yes, you all are right an occasional candy bar or some fries isn't going to kill you!
    How would you know the parent that took their kids to McDonalds doesn't take them to parks? You're sitting here judging others and I'm sorry but who the fuk are you to say anything? I think you're being completely ridiculous with your "It has to be healthy, all these foods are harmful, blah, blah, blah and everyone else is doing it wrong attitude."

Now I'm judging you, how do you feel about that?

Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    People obviously have some pretty serious beliefs about diet...

I'm in the middle, if you like something that's not super healthy, and can tolerate it, have it once in a while. But eat your nutrients first. I like my OREO fix but I'll eat them last, after I have met the majority of my macros for the day, that leaves room for a couple cookies. I don't do it every day, but once in a while its a nice treat. I'm bulking anyway...

As an aside, at my daughter's school there is a strict "NO NUT" policy as well as a "NO SUGAR" policy. I understand that many children are allergic to peanuts, which are a legume, BTW, and some have weight issues but a small cookie or cupcake to celebrate a birthday once a month? Why is it such a big deal. Things seem to get taken to such extremes in this country, moderation is key in all things. We could learn a thing or two from the French who enjoy small bits of cheese, regular glass of wine with dinner, small dessert, etc. on a daily basis along with healthy meals.
    Under Construction.

Originally Posted by Jodie10 View Post
    People obviously have some pretty serious beliefs about diet...

I'm in the middle, if you like something that's not super healthy, and can tolerate it, have it once in a while. But eat your nutrients first. I like my OREO fix but I'll eat them last, after I have met the majority of my macros for the day, that leaves room for a couple cookies. I don't do it every day, but once in a while its a nice treat. I'm bulking anyway...

As an aside, at my daughter's school there is a strict "NO NUT" policy as well as a "NO SUGAR" policy. I understand that many children are allergic to peanuts, which are a legume, BTW, and some have weight issues but a small cookie or cupcake to celebrate a birthday once a month? Why is it such a big deal. Things seem to get taken to such extremes in this country, moderation is key in all things. We could learn a thing or two from the French who enjoy small bits of cheese, regular glass of wine with dinner, small dessert, etc. on a daily basis along with healthy meals.
    I LOATHE those parents that HAVE to bring cupcakes or cookies on their kids birthdays, for a couple of reasons. 1) there are 36 and 32 kids in my childrens classes, it seems like it is always someone's birthday or whatever because they are always bringing home treats. Not only does it ruin their appetitie, it gives them a "sugar rush" and then they are nuts to deal with afterwards. And of course, the "crash" comes when its time to do homework and then i have to deal with the whiny, tired crying kid who doesnt want to do their work and then
    2) I have 2 kids, now thanks to little susies birthday cupcake, i have 2 kids fighting in the car about why one gets a cupcake and the other doesnt. Yes i know, teach the kids about "life isnt fair" and "sharing is caring" but a 7 year old doesnt care and feels left out, hurt feelings ensue and then the arguing...
    3) my kid has some pretty bad allergies, nuts included, but many other things as well. Sometimes people send what they think are "healthy" snacks like granola bars or fruit bars or whatever, now i have to tell my kid that she cant eat it because it has an allergen in it, which leads to disappointment, hurt feelings, and all that. I get that not all kids have allergies and not every parent has to think about it, but sending crap to school for other kids should just be banned.

So i am left to deal with the consequences of little susies little birthday treat. If you want to give your kids treats for their day, save it for when they are at home and dont send my kids home sugared up without even asking....
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    I LOATHE those parents that HAVE to bring cupcakes or cookies on their kids birthdays, for a couple of reasons. 1) there are 36 and 32 kids in my childrens classes, it seems like it is always someone's birthday or whatever because they are always bringing home treats. Not only does it ruin their appetitie, it gives them a "sugar rush" and then they are nuts to deal with afterwards. And of course, the "crash" comes when its time to do homework and then i have to deal with the whiny, tired crying kid who doesnt want to do their work and then
    2) I have 2 kids, now thanks to little susies birthday cupcake, i have 2 kids fighting in the car about why one gets a cupcake and the other doesnt. Yes i know, teach the kids about "life isnt fair" and "sharing is caring" but a 7 year old doesnt care and feels left out, hurt feelings ensue and then the arguing...
    3) my kid has some pretty bad allergies, nuts included, but many other things as well. Sometimes people send what they think are "healthy" snacks like granola bars or fruit bars or whatever, now i have to tell my kid that she cant eat it because it has an allergen in it, which leads to disappointment, hurt feelings, and all that. I get that not all kids have allergies and not every parent has to think about it, but sending crap to school for other kids should just be banned.

So i am left to deal with the consequences of little susies little birthday treat. If you want to give your kids treats for their day, save it for when they are at home and dont send my kids home sugared up without even asking....
    Omg the Birthday party thing at school would drive me nuts. Thank god the schools around here never celebrated classmate's Birthdays. I think the only time I ever had to make treats was for the occasional Halloween party at school, so I didn't mind that so much.

I remember one time my girls were fighting over this huge cookie one of them had in the back seat. They were brawling, screaming and carrying on. I got so fuggin mad I ripped the thing out of their hands and whipped it out the car window. From there it was total shock and silence for the rest of ride home.

This was more what I was trying to get at. It's okay for kids to still have some foods in moderation, but I don't think that should mean 3-4 times per week. I am not telling anyone they are a bad parent or anything if they decide to feed their children certain foods, we all have different opinions. I however make it a point not to take my daughter to McDonalds EVER. Not because it's McDonalds, but because every one is aware of how preservative loaded the food is. I dont even consider it real food. I do take her to places like Chik-fil-a, which is still fast food, but I believe a slightly better quality. Also, I do let my daughter eat pop tarts on occasion, but I buy her organic ones and not the ones full of HFC.
    Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I have yet to see any convincing evidence that high fructose corn syrup is any better or worse for you than other forms of sugar. I get that different types of sugar are broken down differently by the body, but the evidence isn't showing that HFCS is some evil thing that needs to be vilified. If you're lacking in certain micronutrients and want to replace HFCS with blackstrap molasses, then awesome! Or if you're cutting out HFCS because your kid has a diagnosed fructose malabsorption problem, that's great (though then they can't have fruit either). But if you're replacing HFCS with cane sugar because broscience says that HFCS leads to metabolic syndrome, then I'd be curious to see the evidence (and please don't link to Dr. Oz or some broscience site...link to PubMed or a peer-reviewed journal).

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Omg the Birthday party thing at school would drive me nuts. Thank god the schools around here never celebrated classmate's Birthdays. I think the only time I ever had to make treats was for the occasional Halloween party at school, so I didn't mind that so much.

I remember one time my girls were fighting over this huge cookie one of them had in the back seat. They were brawling, screaming and carrying on. I got so fuggin mad I ripped the thing out of their hands and whipped it out the car window. From there it was total shock and silence for the rest of ride home.
    In our school system, you dont get birthday parties in the class, but the kids parents are allowed to bring whatever treat they want and share it with the class as they go home for the day. Parents go a bit crazy for their kids b-day here.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    All birthdays are celebrated one day per month in my daughter's class. Ie., every birthday in October is celebrated this Friday. Next month, all birthdays in November are celebrated on that third Friday.

I guess I will take grapes this year. LOL
    Under Construction.

really...just really DieselsMom's Avatar
    DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Birthdays are celebrated with a pencil and certificate in my kids school unless the parents bring something in, I am not a crazy mom that needs to out do the rest of the moms in the world so my kids don't get anything but that with their bdays but some moms are insane!
    "That's not sweat that's your fat cells crying" anonymous

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147406883

I'm sorry for being judgemental. I wasn't I tending to be, but I did come across that way. I am still reading and learning about all of this food stuff. Maybe food babe was not the best reference. I had just heard about her and listened to her talk one time and thought it was good, but after reading some articles about her I'm thinking that was a bad decision! I just came across this one today, I'm sure some of you saw it already, http://guardianlv.com/2014/10/food-b...undoes-damage/

The cupcake thing bugs me also. My daughter isn't In school yet, only daycare and they are constantly being fed cupcakes and cake. Another reason I am so quick to jump the gun on the health stuff. I am a first time mom and sometimes afraid to do things wrong and want to try to raise my daughter perfectly, but sometimes attempting to achieve perfection can cause you to do just the opposite. I in no way want to be overbearing or smother my kid or deprive her so maybe I will try to lay off a little bit. There are still some things I will prefer to avoid. I know most of you are very healthy people and have probably been in on all of this much longer than me, so I'm sorry for coming across as judgemental 😳 I am going to keep reading this Layne Norton stuff and forgo the food babe.... Lol. lesson learned to not post before doing more research 🙈🙊

Originally Posted by VO2Maxima View Post
    Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I have yet to see any convincing evidence that high fructose corn syrup is any better or worse for you than other forms of sugar. I get that different types of sugar are broken down differently by the body, but the evidence isn't showing that HFCS is some evil thing that needs to be vilified. If you're lacking in certain micronutrients and want to replace HFCS with blackstrap molasses, then awesome! Or if you're cutting out HFCS because your kid has a diagnosed fructose malabsorption problem, that's great (though then they can't have fruit either). But if you're replacing HFCS with cane sugar because broscience says that HFCS leads to metabolic syndrome, then I'd be curious to see the evidence (and please don't link to Dr. Oz or some broscience site...link to PubMed or a peer-reviewed journal).
    NO! I never read Dr. Oz lol

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The cupcake thing bugs me also. My daughter isn't In school yet, only daycare and they are constantly being fed cupcakes and cake. Another reason I am so quick to jump the gun on the health stuff. I am a first time mom and sometimes afraid to do things wrong and want to try to raise my daughter perfectly, but sometimes attempting to achieve perfection can cause you to do just the opposite. I in no way want to be overbearing or smother my kid or deprive her so maybe I will try to lay off a little bit. There are still some things I will prefer to avoid. I know most of you are very healthy people and have probably been in on all of this much longer than me, so I'm sorry for coming across as judgemental �� I am going to keep reading this Layne Norton stuff and forgo the food babe.... Lol. lesson learned to not post before doing more research ����
    FYI. Just saw your post and it a piece of it bothered me. You mention above about how you are trying to raise your daughter perfectly. Seriously be careful with that. I know right now you are placing that burden upon yourself, but you may not comprehend what you could be doing to your daughter. I was raised in a household where everything was a competition and unless things were perfect, it was never good enough. My parents didn't see anything wrong with the way they raised me cause they felt they were just pushing me to be the best I can be...but it resulted in a horrible childhood. Cause even when I did things well...if it wasn't perfect, it wasn't good enough. That is a horrible burden to place on the back of a child and it can become incredibly debilitating and damaging to them.
    Workout Log / Chat thread...Embrace the Dragon: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169711903

"If you truly seek understanding, then first, empty your cup!" – Unknown

*** Squat Quitter Crew ***
    *** Dragon Flags Crew ***