Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

When a high carb meal disturbs energy/mood, is it because of blood sugar or insulin?

If I eat too many carbs in one meal it tends to make me tired and moody. I feel fine on limited carbs.

Is it the body's reaction to the blood sugar or is it to the insulin levels? Or perhaps both?

Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, both in that blood sugar triggers an insulin response.

But what you are talking about sounds like an insulin response to me.
    "As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it."
    "The plural of anecdote is not data."

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mncdk View Post
    Well, both in that blood sugar triggers an insulin response.
    I am aware of that.

But what you are talking about sounds like an insulin response to me.
    How about slightly less sharp vision?

Alpha As Fuking Fuk bigdogfarmhand's Avatar
    bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i experience this in the mornings sometimes
    Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.

Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mncdk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That doesn't ring a bell with me - it's not something I've noticed after high carbs. I recognize the post-carbs lethargy, but if it messes with your vision, I'd talk to a doc just to be sure. Maybe have blood test.
    "As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it."

^ Yeah thanks. Have done so, I'm fine. Just trying to understand my carb tolerance better. If it's insulin I need to manage, I also have to be careful about protein.

Thing is, I don't really seem to feel the same reaction after consuming whey, which is supposedly quite insulinogenic. It could be that the portion of whey is just too small to make noticeable effects.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    If it's insulin I need to manage, I also have to be careful about protein.

Thing is, I don't really seem to feel the same reaction after consuming whey, which is supposedly quite insulinogenic. It could be that the portion of whey is just too small to make noticeable effects.
    According to a random guy on the internet;

Don't confuse this with blood sugar spikes, the insulinogenic properties you speak of are for the amino acid uptake (insulin=storage), which is then followed by glucagon (glucagon= release) to create a balance in the system. The better/higher quality the protein source is the better the effect, if you aren't looking to efficiently utilize the protein you are ingesting then choose one with a low insulinogenic effect. Nature's pretty smart eh? If it only caused an insulin effect you would die from lowering a non elevated blood sugar, this is also why protein ingestion (by itself) can help with fat loss as the glucagon effect releases stored energy to create this balance in case there is blood sugar removed during the amino uptake process.
    Insulin- prevents death by lowering blood sugar
    Glucagon- prevents death by raising blood sugar
    http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/ind...insulinogenic/

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I read sometime ago after the insulin has shuffled the glucose from the blood stream into muscle glycogen storage or into fat cells to be stored as fat, the blood glucose level drops which may lead to the mood swing. I don't know if that is true. .
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

According to a random guy on the internet;

"Don't confuse this with blood sugar spikes"
    Thing is, I'm not confusing them, which is why I am asking.

bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I eat too many carbs in one meal it tends to make me tired and moody. I feel fine on limited carbs.

Is it the body's reaction to the blood sugar or is it to the insulin levels? Or perhaps both?
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...a/faq-20058488
    "Hyperinsulinemia causes no signs or symptoms unless it causes low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)."

Less sharp vision and fatigue might be symptoms of low blood sugar, and anxiety or excitement (?) might be a symptom of increased epinephrine (adrenaline) levels as a response to low blood glucose.

The solution could be to eat "slow carbs" like whole-grain bread instead of white bread, or to add either fats or proteins to a carb meal, because they slow down gastric emptying and thus glucose absorption.

Another issue with large meals is the redistribution of the blood flow toward the bowel, so other organs, including muscles and brain, get less blood and oxygen, which may trigger symptoms similar to hypoglycemia.

You may find something better about "postprandial syndrome" as I have:
    http://www.uptodate.com/contents/pos...e-hypoglycemia
    It's similar to reactive hypoglycemia, but without significant measurable drop of blood glucose.

Symptoms due to blood flow redirection could appear rather quickly, within 30 minutes, and symptoms of hypoglycemia probably only after about 2 hours.
    Last edited by bartolomei; 10-09-2014 at 08:10 AM.

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I get the same which is why I eat smaller meals
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

@ bartolomei, thanks for the input. Although interesting it's not really what I'm asking.

This is what I'd like to know: is the common 'carb coma' the body's reaction to elevated blood sugar levels, to insulin or both?

@ naturalguy, yeah I do that too. It helps.

bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000)
    @ bartolomei, thanks for the input. Although interesting it's not really what I'm asking.

This is what I'd like to know: is the common 'carb coma' the body's reaction to elevated blood sugar levels, to insulin or both?
    'Carb coma' is a cluster of symptoms, right? The article on Mayo Clinic says high insulin levels as such (hyperinsulinemia), without hypoglycemia cause no symptoms.

Originally Posted by bartolomei View Post
    'Carb coma' is a cluster of symptoms, right? The article on Mayo Clinic says high insulin levels as such (hyperinsulinemia), without hypoglycemia cause no symptoms.
    Interesting. This seems to confirm that fluctuations in blood sugar are more of an issue to me than insulin levels.

To my knowledge, carb coma is caused by low blood sugar.
    But that's just from what I've been reading here in the Nut-section.

I stumbled over this though, in response to what bart mentioned about blood flow;

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Although the passage of food into the gastrointestinal tract results in increased blood flow to the stomach and intestines, this is achieved by diversion of blood primarily from skeletal muscle tissue and by increasing the volume of blood pumped forward by the heart each minute. The flow of oxygen and blood to the brain is extremely tightly regulated by the circulatory system and does not drop after a meal,[12] and is not a cause of post-meal sleepiness.
    There's some more stuff here, but you've probably seen it. Just in case; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_somnolence

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I seem to remember reading something about selenium levels being able to help with this. Let me see if i can find what i am thinking of.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

To my knowledge, carb coma is caused by low blood sugar.
    But that's just from what I've been reading here in the Nut-section.

I stumbled over this though, in response to what bart mentioned about blood flow;

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Although the passage of food into the gastrointestinal tract results in increased blood flow to the stomach and intestines, this is achieved by diversion of blood primarily from skeletal muscle tissue and by increasing the volume of blood pumped forward by the heart each minute. The flow of oxygen and blood to the brain is extremely tightly regulated by the circulatory system and does not drop after a meal,[12] and is not a cause of post-meal sleepiness

There's some more stuff here, but you've probably seen it. Just in case; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_somnolence
    Yes, it's probably not decreased blood flow in the brain but a certain effect of hormones and nerves on the brain that causes sleepiness after meals
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15488646
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9284488

In the second study, sleepiness was related to meals but not to meal composition.

But when you notice tiredness after carbs and less after protein, it may be more related to glucose levels.

Decreased blood flow in the muscles after meals can also be related to fatigue.

In the second study, sleepiness was related to meals but not to meal composition.
    Interesting. Seems to be contradicted by this one: High-glycemic-index carbohydrate meals shorten sleep onset
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/2/426.full

Do you happen to know more about the relation between meal frequency and insulin sensitivity?

I found this one: 2 seems better than 6 meals for insulin sensitivity, if I am reading it correctly.
    http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/files/Kahleova.pdf

NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Its definitely blood sugar.

I have mild type 2 diabetes and going hyper makes you extremely cranky and sleepy

JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10) JasonTarin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here is what sounds like is going on. When you eat carbs your body produces insulin as a response to moderate the glucose created from those carbs and to also drive the nutrients you just ate into your muscle. When a high carb meal is eaten, if a person has a high sensativity to insulin they will go through a couple hour period where their blood sugar is low until it has time to flatten itself out. This happens over time or by eating more sugar. During this period you probably will get blurred vision, immense hunger, inability to think straight, and sleepiness. It's normal... its the same as when a kid crashes from eating too much candy.
    Your mind is your most powerful muscle. Use it to your advantage.

Interesting. Seems to be contradicted by this one: High-glycemic-index carbohydrate meals shorten sleep onset
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/2/426.full

Do you happen to know more about the relation between meal frequency and insulin sensitivity?

I found this one: 2 seems better than 6 meals for insulin sensitivity, if I am reading it correctly.
    http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/files/Kahleova.pdf
    Here, with 2 meals, insulin sensitivity was increased, which means glucose moved from the blood to the cells quicker and thus caused quicker drop of the blood glucose levels. On the other hand, insulin levels were lower.

To me, the symptoms you've described (slightly less sharp vision, tiredness) sound more related to drop of glucose levels than to the change in insulin levels.

And just to add to the confusion, in this study irregular meals were associated with increased insulin resistance and insulin levels
    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v.../1601935a.html
    "The irregular meal frequency appears to produce a degree of insulin resistance..."
    Last edited by bartolomei; 10-10-2014 at 07:56 AM.

MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    High carb meals increase serotonin levels, which is the precursor to melatonin

Carbs raise insulin. Insulin increases absorption of amino acids that compete with L-Tryptophan, causing more absorption of tryptophan in brain cells. L-Tryptophan increases serotonin levels (serotonin is a byproduct via 5-htp). Serotonin is the precursor to melatonin.

That's why high carb meals and especially high G.I. meals can improve sleep.
    *No sig crew*

Here, with 2 meals, insulin sensitivity was increased, which means glucose moved from the blood to the cells quicker and thus caused quicker drop of the blood glucose levels. On the other hand, insulin levels were lower.
    Wow interesting. You got this tested?

Insulin levels being lower, that's a good thing right?

To me, the symptoms you've described (slightly less sharp vision, tiredness) sound more related to drop of glucose levels than to the change in insulin levels.
    I think so too.

Originally Posted by MichielN View Post

Carbs raise insulin. Insulin increases absorption of amino acids that compete with L-Tryptophan, causing more absorption of tryptophan in brain cells. L-Tryptophan increases serotonin levels (serotonin is a byproduct via 5-htp). Serotonin is the precursor to melatonin.
    Interesting.

So a good amount of whey would increase insulin levels but it wouldn't increase serotonin levels correct?

Yeah I read that study that they improve sleep onset. In my case they don't improve sleep quality. The opposite actually, I sleep best with no carbs at night.

MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Interesting.

So a good amount of whey would increase insulin levels but it wouldn't increase serotonin levels correct?

Yeah I read that study that they improve sleep onset. In my case they don't improve sleep quality. The opposite actually, I sleep best with no carbs at night.
    I don't recall if the effect is CHO specific (ie glucose has a role) or because of the insulinogenic properties of meals tbh.

But I believe it's called postprandial somnolence so you can look that up and investigate it further if you like.
    *No sig crew*

Wow interesting. You got this tested?

Insulin levels being lower, that's a good thing right?
    In the study you've posted insulin sensitivity increased and insulin levels decreased. This is beneficial for diabetics. I don't know the effects of insulin levels alone, independently of glucose levels, in healthy people.

I've found another study in which insulin sensitivity after irregular meals was decreased, so just the opposite.

Obviously, more studies would need to be checked...

In the study you've posted insulin sensitivity increased and insulin levels decreased.
    Oh ok. I thought you were referring to yourself.

I've found another study in which insulin sensitivity after irregular meals was decreased, so just the opposite.
    I've seen that study but I don't see the outcome as opposite.

2 regular meals improved insulin sensitivity over 6 regular meals.

6 regular meals was better than 3-9 irregular meals.

My conclusion for now is that a limited, regular meal frequency is probably best for insulin sensitivity. The good old 3 meals per day might be a very good option.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 10-10-2014 at 09:06 AM.

cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Interesting.

I don't recall if the effect is CHO specific (ie glucose has a role) or because of the insulinogenic properties of meals tbh.

But I believe it's called postprandial somnolence so you can look that up and investigate it further if you like.

Well isn't it the tryptophan that's needed, not specifically the insulin, which just helps tryptophan become more available?

So wouldn't the high tryptophan content of whey (relative to CHO meals), combined with its insulinogenic properties create a similar reaction?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I second the reactive hypoglycemia theory - high blood sugar doesn't make you feel bad - it's when you get a swing the other way because your body had to over-produce insulin in order to clear the sugar from your blood. This is due to insulin resistance.

I used to have this, it is no longer a problem, I attribute ketogenic dieting to fixing this problem in me.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I second the reactive hypoglycemia theory - high blood sugar doesn't make you feel bad - it's when you get a swing the other way because your body had to over-produce insulin in order to clear the sugar from your blood. This is due to insulin resistance.
    OK. So this does fit with the fact that high protein meals which are also insulinogenic don't cause any problems. Correct?

I'm reading up on it and Wiki and Mayoclinic both recommend eating small meals and snacks every 3 hours. Do you agree?

I used to have this, it is no longer a problem, I attribute ketogenic dieting to fixing this problem in me.
    I've been doing some keto. I feel great on it. Remarkable. One problem: I lost reps on several lifts. How is that for you?

Edit: been reading some more. They say "at a small meal or snack about every 2-3 hours. Skipping meals can make symptoms worse."

I find the opposite to be more true. Waiting long between meals makes me feel good. Perhaps I don't have reactive hypoglycemia?
    Last edited by Mrpb; 10-10-2014 at 09:01 PM.