soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soldierfighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

running and size

As a soldier I have to be able to run. But as someone thinking about Bodybuilding I have to wonder if the added mass and size will further hamper my run times. I already hate running and I am not very good at it. But I need to improve. Both speed and overall distance. Is it possible to walk around at 250 lbs of muscle and still run for 4 miles in 32 minutes? I am working towards that pace, but there is no way I can do it now. Will that hurt my ability to hold mass and will the mass hurt my ability to run?

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by soldierfighter View Post
    As a soldier I have to be able to run. But as someone thinking about Bodybuilding I have to wonder if the added mass and size will further hamper my run times. I already hate running and I am not very good at it. But I need to improve. Both speed and overall distance. Is it possible to walk around at 250 lbs of muscle and still run for 4 miles in 32 minutes? I am working towards that pace, but there is no way I can do it now. Will that hurt my ability to hold mass and will the mass hurt my ability to run?
    I understand your problem. I had the same issue once upon a time. Yes, being bigger will hurt your run times. However, your required times are not particularly fast and you can achieve both at the same time.

Firstly, if you're not that good at running, I'd suggest you get good at it. I was 245 when I ran a 20:30 5km (just over three miles) but most of my time in the Army, I spend at around 260 and running it in 22:30. When I joined, though, I was a hell of a lot lighter and couldn't run it nearly that well. So run a lot. It's the most important thing because it's your job.

You'll probably struggle to maintain weight and certainly won't be able to gain a hell of a lot while you are trying to get your time down, but once you can run it comfortably, you won't have to spend the energy improving the time and you'll be able to get back to building muscle.

KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KarlBaxter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Overweight, reasonably muscular ultra marathon runner checking in!

I think building muscle complemented by shortish running distances like this is both achievable and actually symbiotic. The running will keep your metc up, but it won't hammer you calorific defecit wise.

Longer runs make the balance more difficult but still possible.

I used to hate running too, I learned to embrace the boredom and frustration and now really benefit fromantic better underlying fitness and a sense of wellbeing and achievement.

In short.. crack on, you'll be fine. There's no doubt that extra weight slows you down though

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    EZ, good form plus proper training will get you there.

I will suggest Crossfit and "Chi Running." Krakkerz will be upset by this. And we will all move on.
    www.crossfit.com

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by a_emory View Post
    EZ, good form plus proper training will get you there.

I will suggest Crossfit and "Chi Running." Krakkerz will be upset by this. And we will all move on.
    How the hell would crossfit help a BODYBUILDER who BODYBUILDS who just wants to get a little faster for his job?
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by amar654 View Post
    How the hell would crossfit help a BODYBUILDER who BODYBUILDS who just wants to get a little faster for his job?
    If he wants to run that far, that fast, carrying that much weight, he has to not get tired doing so.

Crossfit will help him not get tired.
    www.crossfit.com

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If he wants to run that far, that fast, carrying that much weight, he has to not get tired doing so.

Crossfit will help him not get tired.
    Bzztt.... wrong. OP has specific and high importance goals. Therefore, he needs advice specific to those goals. He is close to the limit of muscle he is able to carry and wants to keep that while working on a largely contradictory goal on which his livelihood depends.

He needs to learn to run and maintain mass. Not do power snatches for time with crappy form.

huges has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) huges has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I hate running but is necessary. I prefer to running or walk quickly 30' -40' after training.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by soldierfighter View Post
    Ive seen rangers do that. They did not use Crossfit nor did they do chi running. They lifted heavy and ran hard, and used proper nutrition. They put in the time, no way around it. 4 miles in 32 minutes isnt hugely tough compared to the standards of Ranger School anyway.

Look at some of the running guides to get really good 10k results on 3-4 runs a week will give you a good idea of how to program the running side (basicaly 1-2 tempo runs, 1 day of speed work, and one LSD). I wasnt half your sice but when I was working out with Rangers and SOF it was really hard to keep the mass on even though my strength and running was going up. I was younger as well . .. .best of luck.

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    Bzztt.... wrong. OP has specific and high importance goals. Therefore, he needs advice specific to those goals. He is close to the limit of muscle he is able to carry and wants to keep that while working on a largely contradictory goal on which his livelihood depends.

He needs to learn to run and maintain mass. Not do power snatches for time with crappy form.
    Both Jason Khalipa and Rich Froning have very similar amounts of muscle as the OP. I am virtually certain Jason K. could do what OP is looking to do and I am confident Rich F can as well.

I am not saying he needs GPP I am saying that he needs Crossfit style met con WODs so he can continue to express power at the level required to meet his goal.
    www.crossfit.com

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Ive seen rangers do that. They did not use Crossfit nor did they do chi running. They lifted heavy and ran hard, and used proper nutrition. They put in the time, no way around it. 4 miles in 32 minutes isnt hugely tough compared to the standards of Ranger School anyway.

Look at some of the running guides to get really good 10k results on 3-4 runs a week will give you a good idea of how to program the running side (basicaly 1-2 tempo runs, 1 day of speed work, and one LSD). I wasnt half your sice but when I was working out with Rangers and SOF it was really hard to keep the mass on even though my strength and running was going up. I was younger as well . .. .best of luck.
    Of course my suggestion is not the only way to do this. It is just one I believe in. I'd say that 75-90% or so of the guys that made it to the CF games this year have similar amounts of muscle as OP and I'd say that just about every single one of them can run 4 miles in 32 minutes.
    www.crossfit.com

Both Jason Khalipa and Rich Froning have very similar amounts of muscle as the OP. I am virtually certain Jason K. could do what OP is looking to do and I am confident Rich F can as well.

I am not saying he needs GPP I am saying that he needs Crossfit style met con WODs so he can continue to express power at the level required to meet his goal.
    Spare me, arsewipe. And you did not recommend "Crossfit style metcons". You said "I will suggest Crossfit and "Chi Running." A hacked together, non-specific generalist routine with no specific goals and a running program plagiarised from a good one with some added spiritual garbage.

Of course those guys can do what the OP is asking. And everyone who does Crossfit is, by extension, just like Rich Froning.

Would you like me to provide you a reading list to help you understand basic physiology, programming and critical thinking?

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Of course my suggestion is not the only way to do this. It is just one I believe in. I'd say that 75-90% or so of the guys that made it to the CF games this year have similar amounts of muscle as OP and I'd say that just about every single one of them can run 4 miles in 32 minutes.
    dude, we are talking about soldiers, not crossfit. Believe it or not, doing CF doesnt make you anywhere close to being a soldier, far less an operator, go buzz off now.

And if you dont think the top CF competitors are on celltech, you are deluding yourself.

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)

Im sorry, but simply running the right way can help him reach his goal faster than crossfit.
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wnsuth86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Only speaking from my personal experience, I've gained 20 lbs since my lightest "running weight" and I can feel it. My times are slower and running feels harder. I can still run as far, maybe even farther, but it is at a much slower pace. I lost 13 minutes on my half-marathon this year.

Originally Posted by amar654 View Post
    Im sorry, but simply running the right way can help him reach his goal faster than crossfit.
    In all likely-hood, you are right. OP will see more improvement by learning to run properly than by training his metabolic system in some general way. But I would imagine that the fastest path to his goal would be learning to run properly + the metcon training. But I do not know if OP runs, well, his back round, etc.

I will say that I just bought a weighted vest and can easily do 4mi in 32 minutes w/ 15lbs in it. I have not yet tried 20+ but would imagine that too. The max weight the vest can carry is 38 pounds. If I gain 5 -10 pounds and can wear the vest at its max I can give OP a definitive yes to his question. That is a lot of "ifs" I am not really trying to do that. But it wouldn't surprise me if it happens. It is easy to do right now with 15lbs.
    Last edited by a_emory; 10-27-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    www.crossfit.com

An email from a friend: Philip of Macdenia in a message to Sparta: "You are advise to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and range your city."

Sparta's reply: "If."

Ha I replied w/ "molon labe," which I believe I first saw printed in someones signature in this forum.
    www.crossfit.com

An email from a friend: Philip of Macdenia in a message to Sparta: "You are advise to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and range your city."

Sparta's reply: "If."

Ha I replied w/ "molon labe," which I believe I first saw printed in someones signature in this forum.
    Consider not drinking (or whatever you've been doing) and posting, eh?

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    Consider not drinking (or whatever you've been doing) and posting, eh?
    What, youve got a problem w/ Sparta now?
    www.crossfit.com

Don't lecture us on what "Molon Labe" means. It was the motto of SOCCENT when I was there.

Anyone can talk big in emails with friends, but going into harm's way and coming back in one piece is something different.

hersstring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are training for long distance running, half marathon or more, heavy body weight will increase ur chance of having injuries, getting hurt. i dont think one should do weight training that focus on gaining mass or size if one wants to do endurance sport. But 4 mile is not a long distance, i think you can manage it after training. You need do some long distance but slow easy run, maybe 8KM, to build your endurance and just get used to running. and then do some short running but works on the speed, like go to the track, do 5 sets of 800m with all out speed, or 80% of ur biggest effort. All in all one thing is certain, if u are lighter sure you will feel much better when you run. There are though people who are body-builders and have a big weight but can do a marathon, so i guess people are different , you need find out a way best suits your situation.