Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

squatting your own bodyweight is only novice lvl unless you weight 300lbs+

I found this chart here

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...andardsKg.html

It seems that you need to squat your own bodyweight and some additional weight if you are a light weight but notice how much lighter the weight gets for heavier guys when approaching 300lbs he doesn't even need to squat his own BW to be considered a novice while a guy at 56kg has to squat his own BW + 14kg to be on the same ranking as the guy at 145kg who has to squat less than his own BW.

I'm just surprised that it's actually easy to squat your own BW unless you happen to be very huge i guess and you need to add weights to just be considered a novice.

Also why do bigger guys need to squat lesser weight in proportion to their size? The heaviest guys don't even need to squat their own weight. Does this mean that the human strength does not increase in proportion to his size?

I noticed that to reach elite status for the lightest weights they have to squat almost 3x their own BW yet for the largest guys they just need to do less than 2x their own BW.

What this means is that pound for pound a smaller guy is going to be stronger than a bigger guy? So someone like shaq who is over 300lbs isn't expected to say squat 2x his own weight even though in terms of size he's must bigger than smaller guys?

taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bodyweight ratios aren't a great indicator of strength. Yes, heavier people have a disadvantage when you use a bodyweight ratio to measure their strength. I don't know how much of it is because strength and size don't increase at the same rate, or because (as I suspect) bigger people tend to be taller people, and taller people often have to lift a weight through a much greater range of motion than a shorter person, thus perform more work for an equal lift.

Think about bench press. I have always thought that benching 1.5x your body weight is "good". If a guy weighs 150, that's a 225 1rm, which is respectable, but not really that strong. If that 150 lb dude was 6'1", then he is pretty damn strong for his size. But if he's 5'4", I'm not impressed (not only because of a lesser r.o.m, which on bench isn't all that significant, but a guy who weighs 150 at 5'4"; assuming he has a low bf%, can be pretty jacked). Whereas a guy who is 220 at 6'1" would have to bench 330, which IMO is much more difficult.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also why do bigger guys need to squat lesser weight in proportion to their size? The heaviest guys don't even need to squat their own weight. Does this mean that the human strength does not increase in proportion to his size?
    That is correct. Bw multipliers favor lighter guys. Probably has something to do with biomechanics of lifting, connective tissue strength and probably a lot of other factors
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Acebro has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I see thanks for putting things in perspective.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Acebro View Post
    I
    I noticed that to reach elite status for the lightest weights they have to squat almost 3x their own BW yet for the largest guys they just need to do less than 2x their own BW.

What this means is that pound for pound a smaller guy is going to be stronger than a bigger guy? So someone like shaq who is over 300lbs isn't expected to say squat 2x his own weight even though in terms of size he's must bigger than smaller guys?
    If you weigh 150 lbs to be elite you have to squat 450 lbs that's 3x your BW.
    If you weight 300 lbs to be elite you have to squat 566 lbs that's about 1.89* your BW

Also remember these are raw numbers, a hell of a lot more can be squatted if they wear a squat suit.

Smaller guys will ALWAYS be stronger pound for pound, while bigger guys will just move more overall weight. I believe this is why the came up with the wilkis system.
    OG

I noticed that they didn't include height into the equation so 2 people could be the same height and weigh much differently like one could be much lighter so the arm length levers wouldn't come into play right?

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I noticed that they didn't include height into the equation so 2 people could be the same height and weigh much differently like one could be much lighter so the arm length levers wouldn't come into play right?
    Sites like that don't really mean much, especially not that 1 in particular. It's not the worst, in fact it's actually 1 of the better ones, but it still has many flaws.

I've only been training a little over a year, and I'm edging on elite on some of my lifts. What is elite? They don't tell you what elite is, they don't tell you what novice is, and I don't think it's the general meaning, cos a novice trainee is 1 capable of progressing by a novice/linear progressive routine (brief but basic example, don't need the details) yet I was pushing on advanced before I left my novice program. In terms of programming, novice programming should last you a majority of your 1st year, done right, by LP, and intermediate programming should last a long time after that. Likewise, elite should mean the best of the best, the chart ends at elite, someone who's been lifting a year and only just left novice programming shouldn't be pushing on elite.

Don't bother paying much attention to charts like that, the titles don't mean a thing, the lift numbers are extremely easy for some, but I'm a PL, making you wonder who this graph is intended for, and who elite refers to, but again, the titles don't mean a thing, it's just basically an ego chart I think, if you care whether you're novice or elite on a strength standards site with no actual meaning, it's just to please you. If you're looking for a way to gauge where you are, you can determine at what stage of lifting (novice/intermediate/advanced) you actually are by your programming and progression, and that's really the only reason you need to know which of these titles you fall under, to choose the right routine and programming for that. If you wanna compare yourself, compare yourself to yourself, or if you really wanna know how you stand, there's probably better sources out there.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 10-08-2014 at 08:17 AM.

GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetSwole79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CJ93UK View Post
    Sites like that don't really mean much, especially not that 1 in particular. It's not the worst, in fact it's actually 1 of the better ones, but it still has many flaws.

I've only been training a little over a year, and I'm edging on elite on some of my lifts. What is elite? They don't tell you what elite is, they don't tell you what novice is, and I don't think it's the general meaning, cos a novice trainee is 1 capable of progressing by a novice/linear progressive routine (brief but basic example, don't need the details) yet I was pushing on advanced before I left my novice program. In terms of programming, novice programming should last you a majority of your 1st year, done right, by LP, and intermediate programming should last a long time after that. Likewise, elite should mean the best of the best, the chart ends at elite, someone who's been lifting a year and only just left novice programming shouldn't be pushing on elite.

Don't bother paying much attention to charts like that, the titles don't mean a thing, the lift numbers are extremely easy for some, but I'm a PL, making you wonder who this graph is intended for, and who elite refers to, but again, the titles don't mean a thing, it's just basically an ego chart I think, if you care whether you're novice or elite on a strength standards site with no actual meaning, it's just to please you. If you're looking for a way to gauge where you are, you can determine at what stage of lifting (novice/intermediate/advanced) you actually are by your programming and progression, and that's really the only reason you need to know which of these titles you fall under, to choose the right routine and programming for that. If you wanna compare yourself, compare yourself to yourself, or if you really wanna know how you stand, there's probably better sources out there.
    I was reading up on 5 x 5 and I will be using that for now on when it comes to squatting. Increase your weight by 5 pounds each time you squat. I can't wait to see where my numbers are in 6 months.

elite means lifting really heavy weights for your bodyweight i guess. The possible most heavy someone of that bodyweight could lift, pull, squat etc. If you have just been lifting about a year and already pushing towards elite status you must have crazy genetics or maybe your pl training made you better. They don't mention any strength program like say stronglifts, madcow etc but i guess the numbers speak for themselves. If you're elite you're lifting, pushing, squatting at least 2x bodyweight. i think they look impressive for anyone of any bodysize. Before you did pl training were you already lifting?

CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    elite means lifting really heavy weights for your bodyweight i guess. The possible most heavy someone of that bodyweight could lift, pull, squat etc. If you have just been lifting about a year and already pushing towards elite status you must have crazy genetics or maybe your pl training made you better. They don't mention any strength program like say stronglifts, madcow etc but i guess the numbers speak for themselves. If you're elite you're lifting, pushing, squatting at least 2x bodyweight. i think they look impressive for anyone of any bodysize. Before you did pl training were you already lifting?
    An important point though is that they don't define that term, the site is based around those words, beginner to elite, but doesn't tell you what those words signify. In programming terms, a novice can progress, complete a stress, adaptation, recovery cycle, between every session, whereas an intermediate often needs a longer time frame to do so, commonly weekly, over multiple sessions, with advanced lifters needing months, and elite lifters seen as potentially needing multiple months, maybe up to a year to do so. It doesn't have any relation to this though. After this, it all comes down to your own perception. Some people say elite means within the top 1% of humanity, or the top 1% of lifters, or being internationally competitive in a sport, but the point is still that they don't even tell you what it means, so for that site to tell you you're elite doesn't mean anything, it's then just up to you to decide what you think that's worth, which essentially makes you wonder what that site is actually telling you then.

Your definition of elite is quite far from their definition of elite, I can tell you that now. If you put in a top level, natural strength sports competitor, their lifts are so far off the charts, they're 1.5-2x elite. How would you define "the possible most heavy someone of that bodyweight could lift" if people are doing double that? It's not based on records, which would actually be a more accurate way to determine an elite lifter. Like I said, people are putting up 2x elite, and me, and many other people on this site who aren't even internationally competitive, some nationally, I'm only locally competitive, and some who don't even compete, are nearly off the charts as well. Na, that's the thing, I have **** genetics, I've made a load of mistakes, I've just done decently in PL, but I'm still incredibly weak, so to say I'm elite by anyone's standards is a joke.

Some say a 2xBW squat and 2.5xBW dead is intermediate status, and while I don't agree with BW multipliers all the time, I definitely wouldn't say you're elite for those, almost regardless of your BW. Basically, you can theorize all you want, but that site doesn't tell you a thing about what those words mean, meaning it's all in your head, what you perceive them to mean, which to me doesn't do anything for you but make you feel a certain way, and that's not always a bad thing, but it definitely shouldn't be considered as anything more than a visual way of you seeing your lifts and gauging your progress to yourself. If you want a more accurate way of seeing where you are, a more meaningful way, and to see how you're doing, there are many other ways out there, and many you can base purely off your own training. No, I'd hardly lifted in my life before I started last year, and was a piece of **** running on soda and chewing gum and sitting down all day. Whatever elite is, I'm not it.

Check this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...atural-lifters here, I like it. Not always a fan of things like that, but read down, it has terms to simplify, and tells you what those terms mean, it tells you what elite means, and is based off records from multiple federations, basically, it has some degree of accuracy, and some meaning more than the chart site in my opinion.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 10-08-2014 at 09:37 AM.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're 300 pounds and under 6'8" you're probably a total butterball. The exceptions to that rule are terrifying titans among men, but the overwhelming majority of humans who weigh 300 pounds are lumbering wads of crisco.

I'd say novice level for a 300 pounder should be 1 continuous set of 100 air squats or 10x10 with 225, because if those were the standards they aspired to it might help them to not weigh 300 pounds.

An important point though is that they don't define that term, the site is based around those words, beginner to elite, but doesn't tell you what those words signify. In programming terms, a novice can progress, complete a stress, adaptation, recovery cycle, between every session, whereas an intermediate often needs a longer time frame to do so, commonly weekly, over multiple sessions, with advanced lifters needing months, and elite lifters seen as potentially needing multiple months, maybe up to a year to do so. It doesn't have any relation to this though. After this, it all comes down to your own perception. Some people say elite means within the top 1% of humanity, or the top 1% of lifters, or being internationally competitive in a sport, but the point is still that they don't even tell you what it means, so for that site to tell you you're elite doesn't mean anything, it's then just up to you to decide what you think that's worth, which essentially makes you wonder what that site is actually telling you then.

Your definition of elite is quite far from their definition of elite, I can tell you that now. If you put in a top level, natural strength sports competitor, their lifts are so far off the charts, they're 1.5-2x elite. How would you define "the possible most heavy someone of that bodyweight could lift" if people are doing double that? It's not based on records, which would actually be a more accurate way to determine an elite lifter. Like I said, people are putting up 2x elite, and me, and many other people on this site who aren't even internationally competitive, some nationally, I'm only locally competitive, and some who don't even compete, are nearly off the charts as well. Na, that's the thing, I have **** genetics, I've made a load of mistakes, I've just done decently in PL, but I'm still incredibly weak, so to say I'm elite by anyone's standards is a joke.

Some say a 2xBW squat and 2.5xBW dead is intermediate status, and while I don't agree with BW multipliers all the time, I definitely wouldn't say you're elite for those, almost regardless of your BW. Basically, you can theorize all you want, but that site doesn't tell you a thing about what those words mean, meaning it's all in your head, what you perceive them to mean, which to me doesn't do anything for you but make you feel a certain way, and that's not always a bad thing, but it definitely shouldn't be considered as anything more than a visual way of you seeing your lifts and gauging your progress to yourself. If you want a more accurate way of seeing where you are, a more meaningful way, and to see how you're doing, there are many other ways out there, and many you can base purely off your own training. No, I'd hardly lifted in my life before I started last year, and was a piece of **** running on soda and chewing gum and sitting down all day. Whatever elite is, I'm not it.

Check this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...atural-lifters here, I like it. Not always a fan of things like that, but read down, it has terms to simplify, and tells you what those terms mean, it tells you what elite means, and is based off records from multiple federations, basically, it has some degree of accuracy, and some meaning more than the chart site in my opinion.

I think you're over analzying things. The fact is well humans have a certain amount of strength and it would be impossible for any human to benchpress a certain amount of weight. I said at least 2x bodyweight because i know it doesn't apply to all lifts and some lifts like the dl need one to dl at least 3x his bw but generally at a lighter weight.

Have you heard of roger bannister? First man to run a mile under 4 mins. I suppose at his time he would be considered an elite runner after all he ran a certain distance at a certain amount of time that other people could not. I just think it's as easy as that honestly speaking. You could apply it to other exercises too or sports. Do you think someone doing 40 proper pull ups is an elite? It all applies to the lifting of weights too. If you're x amount of bodyweight and let's assume you manage to lift say a weight that is 2x+ your own bw that sounds pretty impressive why wouldn't that be close to elite?

Anyway do you think when you reach elite status do you think you could lift even heavier? Then it would be crazy if your lifts actually go off the charts.

I think you're over analzying things. The fact is well humans have a certain amount of strength and it would be impossible for any human to benchpress a certain amount of weight. I said at least 2x bodyweight because i know it doesn't apply to all lifts and some lifts like the dl need one to dl at least 3x his bw but generally at a lighter weight.

Have you heard of roger bannister? First man to run a mile under 4 mins. I suppose at his time he would be considered an elite runner after all he ran a certain distance at a certain amount of time that other people could not. I just think it's as easy as that honestly speaking. You could apply it to other exercises too or sports. Do you think someone doing 40 proper pull ups is an elite? It all applies to the lifting of weights too. If you're x amount of bodyweight and let's assume you manage to lift say a weight that is 2x+ your own bw that sounds pretty impressive why wouldn't that be close to elite?

Anyway do you think when you reach elite status do you think you could lift even heavier? Then it would be crazy if your lifts actually go off the charts.
    Someone who has outperformed almost every other human in his sport and in the world under similar conditions can definitely be classed as an elite in his sport. However, a 2xBW squat, for most, is something that can be achieved in a relatively short span of time, and doesn't even begin to push on genetic boundaries, and wouldn't even get noticed at any half-decent level of competition, more so if you're in a lower weight class. In my opinion, if not talking in terms of programming, then elite is someone who does things that separates him from others, not a clear definition, but whatever. I can't class a 2xBW squat as elite, because I hit it in a year with flawed training, and I think a lot of other people could do similar, especially if their training was optimal. Also, 2xBW squats in my sport aren't impressive, they do decently at some local meets, probably wouldn't get you a win at nationals, and wouldn't even give you a chance at internationals.

Elite should be, as the proper definition, a superior individual or group with a clear advantage over others in their sport or in society. If tons of people in local meets are putting up 2xBW squats (even had a random 14 year old kid in my last 1 putting up that number) and almost everybody doing well in nationals is doing more than that, you're not really superior to anyone but the general public, and people who don't train their squats for strength, and that can't be called elite in my view.

Elite status by that site? Definitely. I'm looking to hit that number in only my 1st national meet, and to say I won't make hardly any progress from then on would be pathetic. If I wanna be nationally competitive, I have to push past that number by far, and if I wanna be selected for international contention, I have to go so far off that chart before I even have a chance. Since that site doesn't tell you what elite is, it's down to the individual, and everyone has different definitions. Some might consider a 2-2.5xBW squat elite, I consider it a stepping stone to bigger lifts. Depending on your condition and goals, elite can mean the most varying things. If the literal definition of elite is superiority over others, who you compare to makes all the difference. I'm not even close to elite compared to the people I truly do class as elite.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 10-08-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    2xBW squat here...only been training for 4 years...hardly elite at all.
    OG

Someone who has outperformed almost every other human in his sport and in the world under similar conditions can definitely be classed as an elite in his sport. However, a 2xBW squat, for most, is something that can be achieved in a relatively short span of time, and doesn't even begin to push on genetic boundaries, and wouldn't even get noticed at any half-decent level of competition, more so if you're in a lower weight class. In my opinion, if not talking in terms of programming, then elite is someone who does things that separates him from others, not a clear definition, but whatever. I can't class a 2xBW squat as elite, because I hit it in a year with flawed training, and I think a lot of other people could do similar, especially if their training was optimal. Also, 2xBW squats in my sport aren't impressive, they do decently at some local meets, probably wouldn't get you a win at nationals, and wouldn't even give you a chance at internationals.

Elite should be, as the proper definition, a superior individual or group with a clear advantage over others in their sport or in society. If tons of people in local meets are putting up 2xBW squats (even had a random 14 year old kid in my last 1 putting up that number) and almost everybody doing well in nationals is doing more than that, you're not really superior to anyone but the general public, and people who don't train their squats for strength, and that can't be called elite in my view.

Elite status by that site? Definitely. I'm looking to hit that number in only my 1st national meet, and to say I won't make hardly any progress from then on would be pathetic. If I wanna be nationally competitive, I have to push past that number by far, and if I wanna be selected for international contention, I have to go so far off that chart before I even have a chance. Since that site doesn't tell you what elite is, it's down to the individual, and everyone has different definitions. Some might consider a 2-2.5xBW squat elite, I consider it a stepping stone to bigger lifts. Depending on your condition and goals, elite can mean the most varying things. If the literal definition of elite is superiority over others, who you compare to makes all the difference. I'm not even close to elite compared to the people I truly do class as elite.

I think i shouldn't have put in 2xBW and said at least because you just ran with that on squats when i also mentioned 3x BW for smaller guys on deadlifts.

My point is if you weigh this much and you lift,squat, pull this much you're either novice, inter, advanced, elite etc.

Your definition of elite is an amount of weight that can be squatted, lifted etc by someone that very few people can do like only say 1% of the people on earth.

In your opinion do you think according to the chart that a 60kg guy that squats 3x his own bodyweight should be considered elite then? Like do you think only say 1% of people at that BW could be able to squat 3x his bw of course you cannot compare a small guy with a bigger guy in terms of lifts but i think the chart shows the numbers accordingly.

Suffice to say i think i see your point. You're saying that the chart is using the term elite loosely because it seems that the majority of humans with some amount of weights training ranging from typicalliy say 1 year upwards would be able to hit those numbers say at least intermediate upwards at their bodyweight am i correct?

Well in this case i'm not really sure what to say. Take running the 100m for example. I heard that not many people actually can run 100m under 10 secs and they are all black so that is elite obviously training for the 100m dash isn't the only factor involved.

I think i shouldn't have put in 2xBW and said at least because you just ran with that on squats when i also mentioned 3x BW for smaller guys on deadlifts.

My point is if you weigh this much and you lift,squat, pull this much you're either novice, inter, advanced, elite etc.

Your definition of elite is an amount of weight that can be squatted, lifted etc by someone that very few people can do like only say 1% of the people on earth.

In your opinion do you think according to the chart that a 60kg guy that squats 3x his own bodyweight should be considered elite then? Like do you think only say 1% of people at that BW could be able to squat 3x his bw of course you cannot compare a small guy with a bigger guy in terms of lifts but i think the chart shows the numbers accordingly.

Suffice to say i think i see your point. You're saying that the chart is using the term elite loosely because it seems that the majority of humans with some amount of weights ranging from typicalliy say 1 year upwards would be able to hit those numbers at their bodyweight am i correct?

Well in this case i'm not really sure what to say. Take running the 100m for example. I heard that not many people actually can run 100m under 10 secs and they are all black so that is elite obviously training for the 100m dash isn't the only factor involved.
    This is starting to get confusing.

Basically, I only really use those terms in regard to programming, what rate you can progress at, and complete a stress/adaptation/recovery cycle, and if you can do so in 1 workout to the next, you're a novice. If you can do so over the course of 72 hours to a week, you're an intermediate. This is how many people define those terms, and it's how most people here see them. So it kind of comes off strange to me that I'm considered almost an elite lifter, yet in terms of programming, and as I said, how most people define these terms in lifters, I'm actually an intermediate, and still a novice in some of my lifts. The chart also doesn't line up with those definitions, cos it doesn't take any part of your training into account, and lift numbers alone can't determine necessary programming and potential progress, so it's not going by the most common definition.

Then yes, all that's left is to go by either personal opinion, or literal definition. My personal opinion is that elites are at the very top, and the literal definition is that elites are superior to most others. Yes the chart accounts for BW, and in 99% of cases lighter lifters will lift more relative to their BW than heavier lifters, for a variety of reasons. Yes the chart is using the term elite loosely, it really doesn't have a single thing on there to tell you what elite means, or what the other terms really mean, and it probably should.

Unless you know what those terms on the chart mean, the chart basically is down to your own personal perception, and that's why it's flawed. I can't actually tell where this is going, but I think that sums it up. You ask me if I consider a 60 kilo guy squatting 3xBW to be elite? To answer that I need to know what elite means. If it means the top 1% of people at his BW, then if he hits that he is, if he doesn't he isn't. If they don't tell you what elite means, then they literally leave it all up to your own decision. I prefer to compare to more static figures and definitions, terms to do with programming and progress, or in comparison to records and results, as to be told you're elite, but not told what elite means, is just an awkward situation. The titles on that site mean nothing, and they tell you nothing either.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 10-08-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How about you stop worrying about charts, multipliers, etc that tell you if you're a certain level and worry about getting as strong as you can. Sounds like profit to me.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

This is starting to get confusing.

Basically, I only really use those terms in regard to programming, what rate you can progress at, and complete a stress/adaptation/recovery cycle, and if you can do so in 1 workout to the next, you're a novice. If you can do so over the course of 72 hours to a week, you're an intermediate. This is how many people define those terms, and it's how most people here see them. So it kind of comes off strange to me that I'm considered almost an elite lifter, yet in terms of programming, and as I said, how most people define these terms in lifters, I'm actually an intermediate, and still a novice in some of my lifts. The chart also doesn't line up with those definitions, cos it doesn't take any part of your training into account, and lift numbers alone can't determine necessary programming and potential progress, so it's not going by the most common definition.

Then yes, all that's left is to go by either personal opinion, or literal definition. My personal opinion is that elites are at the very top, and the literal definition is that elites are superior to most others. Yes the chart accounts for BW, and in 99% of cases lighter lifters will lift more relative to their BW than heavier lifters, for a variety of reasons. Yes the chart is using the term elite loosely, it really doesn't have a single thing on there to tell you what elite means, or what the other terms really mean, and it probably should.

Unless you know what those terms on the chart mean, the chart basically is down to your own personal perception, and that's why it's flawed. I can't actually tell where this is going, but I think that sums it up. You ask me if I consider a 60 kilo guy squatting 3xBW to be elite? To answer that I need to know what elite means. If it means the top 1% of people at his BW, then if he hits that he is, if he doesn't he isn't. If they don't tell you what elite means, then they literally leave it all up to your own decision. I prefer to compare to more static figures and definitions, terms to do with programming and progress, or in comparison to records and results, as to be told you're elite, but not told what elite means, is just an awkward situation. The titles on that site mean nothing, and they tell you nothing either.
    Ah i see elite in all definitions.

Yet at the end of the day do you think this shouldn't be very difficult at all?

I mean would you say that the absolute majority of people out there wouldn't lift very heavy without training?

I think the chart is just using the terms loosely and it's what most other magazines do too. They would say something really brief like you can run a 100m dash in say 12 seconds without training you are pretty good. Let's assume you do it in 10 seconds instead with not much training well you are a world class runner. Period. You might be a beginner without not much training at all but you run 100m in around 10 seconds you're hanging with the top say 1-2% of sprinters so in other words elite. Yet i think at the end of the day it is kind of self explainatory and perhaps borders on common sense. Like you just would not expect an untrained person to run 100m in less than say 15 or maybe even 20 seconds. Same thing with lifting the weights.

bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just push yourself hard and never be satisfied with the weight you move. Make goals, beat them just get better. Don't worry what others are doing its you vs. you.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172784881 redtest log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173258571

hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Smile

Does height play a factor here? Being 6'3 I've always struggled with squats. My best is 120kg for 5 reps. I weigh about 94kg at the moment.

Originally Posted by hanger1989 View Post
    Does height play a factor here? Being 6'3 I've always struggled with squats. My best is 120kg for 5 reps. I weigh about 94kg at the moment.
    It can, different people have different leverages. I bet you're a beast at deadlifting though.
    OG

hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Smile

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    It can, different people have different leverages. I bet you're a beast at deadlifting though.
    It is definitely the best compound exercise for me. 195kg for 5 reps with straps. 180kg for 5 without them are my best lifts.

Since bulking the squat is improving. My goal is to be squatting 3 plates in the next 6 months. Doing it twice a week 5 sets of 5 each time.

Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimthegiant is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Imagine your body has 20lbs of muscle, 20lbs of fat and 60lbs of other **** (bones, skin, organs etc).
    This would give you a total weight of 100lbs.
    Now imagine you double your muscle mass bringing you to 120lbs.
    What kind of moron would believe that doubling your muscle mass would give you less than 20% extra strength?

If increased lean mass decreased your power to weight ratio then all record holding powerlifters would look anarexic, so clearly this isn't the case. Record holding powerlifters (the people with the strongest bench, squat and deadlift for their weight) have basically as much lean mass as their body can hold.

Increasing lean mass (whilst keeping fat the same) will increase your power to weight ratio.

The reason that chart doesn't show this is due to two factors; height and bodyfat.

Height

Muscle strength is proportional to it's cross section whereas mass is proportional to volume. This means if you were magically scaled up to twice your height you would weigh 8 times more but only be 4 times stronger.

In the higher weight categories the lifters tend to be taller so they are at a natural disadvantage at power/weight ratio.

Body-fat

If a lifter is in the 275+ category there is simply no need for them to maintain low bodyfat as they are already in the highest weight category. Holding more fat enables you to carry more lean mass but it offers diminishing returns.
    www.youtube.com/channel/UC5SZNPridefchQmc6xcQ35w
    **HEMA Crew**
    Actually lifts

Originally Posted by hanger1989 View Post
    It is definitely the best compound exercise for me. 195kg for 5 reps with straps. 180kg for 5 without them are my best lifts.

Since bulking the squat is improving. My goal is to be squatting 3 plates in the next 6 months. Doing it twice a week 5 sets of 5 each time.
    Generally the people with stronger deadlifts are over 6' tall.
    OG

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP, the guys who are 300lb beginners aren't 300lb of muscle. If you were 300lb and significantly muscular, you wouldn't be a beginner.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com