Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool What helped you really start shredding?

I made a goal to drop from 268 to 240lbs & 27% to 15% BF by 2/1. Since I've been tracking this I've barely moved the needle. I eat fairly clean. I workout 6 days a week. On MWF & Saturday I work on a body area hard for an hour and then I get on the bike from 20m and work hard. On Tuesday and Thursday I'll go outside and walk/run 3 miles. I drink plenty of water.

Is there any ONE thing that really helped you start to lose weight? THanks
    ==
    Working out in NW Oklahoma City
    I write stuff to kick you in the butt at --> http://stopdoingnothing.com <--
    Good threads I have found:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=732835
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107853341
    -
    http://twitter.com/patrickallmond (@patrickallmond)

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's all diet man, no mysteries or secrets here. Creating an energy deficit is what it all boils down to. That, and being consistent over a long period of time.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Agree with Rob. You can sit on your butt and watch tv all day and lose weight, as long as you are consuming less calories than you burn.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcvan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Starting out working out is not difficult - there's a million reasons to try it out. That's why gyms sell all their memberships in the first 3 months of the year while everyone's making their New Year's resolutions. The hard part is sticking to it over a period of years - especially the nutrition part. Cleaning up your diet is the hardest part because of the cravings for all the junk you used to eat.

You've basically answered your own question why you could barely move the needle even though you work out 6 days a week. Fat loss is accomplished the other 23 hours in the day you're not in the gym. Hell - even if you don't work out and eat a calorie deficit, you'll still move the needle. The ONE thing is cleaning up your diet. You just need to make a commitment to doing it - I would recommend no cheat days/meals; nothing. Just go all in and clean it up once and for all. Throw out all your junk food, make a commitment to have absolutely NO processed sugar. If someone offers you gummy bears, tell yourself you'll have none, not even 1. If you can tell yourself you'll make that full commitment, you're on your way. If you have a lot of hesitation such as "but this" or "but that", then the needle won't move.

(Regardless of your weight, don't give up on the workout part. It's good for your body anyway even if you're not losing weight at your expected pace.)

Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by patrick24601 View Post
    I eat fairly clean.

Is there any ONE thing that really helped you start to lose weight? THanks
    Fairly clean has always been my downfall to shredded happiness.
    Eating "clean" consistently. I know its calories in and calories out and your body can't differentiate calorie sources but for me its psychological. If I don't eat at set times every day consisting of mainly veggies, chicken, rice, cottage cheese etc... I won't get shredded. I have tried the eat what I want when I want but within my calories and its always led to sub-par results. Very few people in the real world much less here are "shredded" because of the discipline it takes.

InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    It's all diet man, no mysteries or secrets here. Creating an energy deficit is what it all boils down to. That, and being consistent over a long period of time.
    /thread
    "Sammiches are like sets of 20 rep squats; if you need a second one, the first one wasn't heavy enough." - DuracellBunny

patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrick24601 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    We are far from /thread but thanks According to your standards my diet is fine. Chicken, vegetables and brown rice are pretty much all I eat. Add in cottage cheese & fruit. Oatmeal & 5 eggs in the in the morning. I am far from a pizza and beers kind of guy. We don't have sugar in the house. I don't touch fast food. And I didn't just start working out. Been at it for years. I just added the goal here

Thanks all.
    ==
    -

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hcvan View Post
    Starting out working out is not difficult - there's a million reasons to try it out. That's why gyms sell all their memberships in the first 3 months of the year while everyone's making their New Year's resolutions. The hard part is sticking to it over a period of years - especially the nutrition part. Cleaning up your diet is the hardest part because of the cravings for all the junk you used to eat.

You've basically answered your own question why you could barely move the needle even though you work out 6 days a week. Fat loss is accomplished the other 23 hours in the day you're not in the gym. Hell - even if you don't work out and eat a calorie deficit, you'll still move the needle. The ONE thing is cleaning up your diet. You just need to make a commitment to doing it - I would recommend no cheat days/meals; nothing. Just go all in and clean it up once and for all. Throw out all your junk food, make a commitment to have absolutely NO processed sugar. If someone offers you gummy bears, tell yourself you'll have none, not even 1. If you can tell yourself you'll make that full commitment, you're on your way. If you have a lot of hesitation such as "but this" or "but that", then the needle won't move.

(Regardless of your weight, don't give up on the workout part. It's good for your body anyway even if you're not losing weight at your expected pace.)
    So you're basically suggesting that people need to follow a clean diet 24/7 for the rest of their lives?

Nothing like setting yourself up for a long miserable, road ahead. Good luck with that.

Fat loss comes down to sticking to your calorie deficit and going the distance. It's that simple.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    We are far from /thread but thanks
    Thanks all.
    Why are you looking for a special answer?

You got the answer in post #2.

Get a food scale for tracking.

Last edited by kimm4; 10-05-2014 at 12:55 PM.

gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    basically you need to accurately track your calories and make sure you are eating enough to make the scale consistently go down week to week, month to month, keep adjusting daily caloric intake. if the scale is not going down you are eating too much.

Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post

Yes but controlling your thoughts and emotions is what makes getting shredded so elusive for most.

Thanks again. Discipline & mindset is not the issue either. I am dead set on hitting this and obsess over the food . I was going over my diet and trying to figure out WTF I could be eating that has a ton of calories. And I can't find anything. I am actually pretty sure I don't get the caloric intake a normal 268lb guy needs. I am also pondering the fact that maybe the scale I'm using to measure the bodyfat % is just wrong (consumer glass stand on kind). So I'll tweak some things and be sure I focus on good multi part body exercises for maximum exertion and calorie burn.
    ==
    -

Originally Posted by Xscoot View Post
    Yes but controlling your thoughts and emotions is what makes getting shredded so elusive for most.
    Bland, boring, rigid diets is the biggest mistake people make and they wonder why they can't stick to their plans. Giving yourself a wide variety of whole food sources and knowing that nothing is off limits makes dieting a hell of a lot easier.

It's called a healthy balance and people need to learn how to get a grasp and use it.

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am actually pretty sure I don't get the caloric intake a normal 268lb guy needs.
    Do you know how many calories you are eating every day?
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

Bland, boring, rigid diets is the biggest mistake people make and they wonder why they can't stick to their plans. Giving yourself a wide variety of whole food sources and knowing that nothing is off limits makes dieting a hell of a lot easier.

It's called a healthy balance and people need to learn how to get a grasp and use it.
    I agree 100%. I know for me if I follow that logic I will look good but won't be "shredded". Getting shredded is few levels higher and I don't think many would achieve it by following anything less then a somewhat bland, rigid and extremely disciplined diet.

Discipline & mindset is not the issue either.
    Nothing is as promising and straightforward as the beginning of a new workout program or diet is. See if this changes on day 6 into it.

Originally Posted by Xscoot View Post
    Getting shredded is few levels higher and I don't think many would achieve it by following anything less then a somewhat bland, rigid and extremely disciplined diet.
    I've been there enough times to know what it takes to get shredded. Dedicated and disciplined always, but never bland or boring.

I've been there enough times to know what it takes to get shredded. Dedicated and disciplined always, but never bland or boring.
    I have seen your pictures, you are anything but bland or boring.

I just did the math for today which is a little lower because I didn't have the normal 5 eggs I have. Breakfast was 2 servings of oatmeal + splenda + Butter sub w/ olive oil. 2 cup of coffee with splenda + cream substitute. 2 glasses of milk. Lunch was vegan chili + two pieces of cornbread. So far that looks like ~1300 today.
    ==
    -

I just did the math for today which is a little lower because I didn't have the normal 5 eggs I have. Breakfast was 2 servings of oatmeal + splenda + Butter sub w/ olive oil. 2 cup of coffee with splenda + cream substitute. 2 glasses of milk. Lunch was vegan chili + two pieces of cornbread. So far that looks like ~1300 today.
    5 large eggs would add another 350 calories. So you're telling me you are consistently eating 1650 calories per day at 268 lbs body weight and aren't losing weight?

machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000) machined is just really nice. (+1000)
    Try eating 2500 cals of anything you want for a few months and after the holidays start a disciplined cut. You could be shredded by next summer.

InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetTuffGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    We are far from /thread but thanks According to your standards my diet is fine.

Get a food scale for tracking.
    I said end thread because as kimm4 stated you already got the answer. And no I don't think your diet is fine. If it were you wouldn't be on here asking why the needle isn't moving. You're consuming too many calories if you're no longer losing weight, it's that simple. Kimm4 made a great recommendation, get a scale and measure your food so you're accurately counting your consumption.
    "Sammiches are like sets of 20 rep squats; if you need a second one, the first one wasn't heavy enough." - DuracellBunny

cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10) cardassian is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bro pretty sure is letting errors in.
    For me I find that unless I am weighing everything and tracking it on a program like mfp I never move the needle (unless it's going up).
    However if I start tracking properly I can get all ocd on it and get it to move.
    I would suggest estimating your TDEE and then taking a small deficit off that (200-500) a day.
    If the needle doesn't move down then you need to reduce by a few more calories (200-300) a day.
    Rinse and repeat until you are moving the needle in the right direction.
    [x] cutting
    [ ] bulking

*Always Hungry Crew*
    *Former 300 lbs crew*

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164979621&p=1310482561#post1310482561

HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would say fix this "I eat fairly clean.", join myfitnesspal and track and weigh everything that enters your mouth. no exceptions and you will lose weight
    Panama, Cold War, OEF/OIF Combat Veteran
    Diabetic
    Distal Bicep Rupture Repaired Crew
    Titanium Femur Crew
    Heaviest body weight: 308 Pounds

TDEE says 3266. MFP says 1960 a day to lose 1.5 lbs per week. big difference. 30+%?
    ==
    -

evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Intermittent fasting. You'll be surprised how how easy it is. Just have you breakfast a little later each day until you are having it after midday. If you feel hungry just have a coffee or really really cold water. The latter also works well for giving up smoking.
    I see them move from their offices to their cars and on to their suburban homes. They stress out constantly, they lose sleep, they eat badly. And they behave badly. Their egos run wild. - Henry Rollins

HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeavyBlueDevil will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it is. mine are at 2000, I started original at 274 and I am currently at 239.3, it work just keep your protein high at least 1 gram per body weight. our stats are not far off excpet for height try it for a week, only thing you have to lose is weight
    Last edited by HeavyBlueDevil; 10-05-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    Diabetic
    Titanium Femur Crew

You went from 2000 calories down to 239? I must be missing something.
    ==
    -

sorry my cals are at 2000, I went from 274 to 239 for body weight based on 2000 calories a day.
    Diabetic
    Titanium Femur Crew