nASTYgator has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training to failure but no soreness/growth?

Hi I've been doing my first bulk for 3 months now. For the first month I saw some gains but now it seems I stalled? Weight keeps going up but my arms dont seem to grow. They have been the same for the last ~20 days even though my weight has gone up. Have I gained pure fat mass? Right is 13.8 inch left is 13.5. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm training hard - hitting failure on my 4th set of each excercise ( sometimes sooner ) and yet I never feel sore on any day.

Any idea what's wrong? I'm eating around 0.8g protein/lb, sometimes more, sometimes slightly less. So my weight keeps going up but my arms don't seem to grow. Is that a sign of ineffective workout and only fat gains?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by nASTYgator View Post
    Hi I've been doing my first bulk for 3 months now. For the first month I saw some gains but now it seems I stalled? Weight keeps going up but my arms dont seem to grow. They have been the same for the last ~20 days even though my weight has gone up. Have I gained pure fat mass? Right is 13.8 inch left is 13.5. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm training hard - hitting failure on my 4th set of each excercise ( sometimes sooner ) and yet I never feel sore on any day.

Any idea what's wrong? I'm eating around 0.8g protein/lb, sometimes more, sometimes slightly less. So my weight keeps going up but my arms don't seem to grow. Is that a sign of ineffective workout and only fat gains?
    What were your Squat, Deadlift, and Bench poundages when you started your bulk, and what are they now?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Muscle growth is caused primarily by:
    1. Eating a caloric surplus
    2. Getting adequate protein
    3. Training VOLUME being adequately high and frequent enough for your particular level.

Failure training can stymie your ability to get enough useful volume done because of it's disproportionate effect on fatigue. I am not saying it has no effect on muscle growth but if it gets in the way of the MAIN factors then it's not your friend.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    What were your Squat, Deadlift, and Bench poundages when you started your bulk, and what are they now?
    They all went up.
    Squat - from 155lb to 190lb
    Deadlift - not much progress since I got some lower back problems - from 135 to 160.
    Bench - from 110lb to 145lb

My strength seems to keep going up but when I try to measure and look at the mirror I see no difference besides the fact my abs keep fading away. For last month I've gained like 2.5-3lbs but my arms have not grown. Does it mean its mostly fat gain?

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Muscle growth is caused primarily by:
    1. Eating a caloric surplus
    2. Getting adequate protein
    3. Training VOLUME being adequately high and frequent enough for your particular level.

Failure training can stymie your ability to get enough useful volume done because of it's disproportionate effect on fatigue. I am not saying it has no effect on muscle growth but if it gets in the way of the MAIN factors then it's not your friend.
    Volume is not the problem, trust me. On chest/back/legs I do 16-18 sets and on biceps/triceps I do 12 sets.

I'm training 5 days a week.
    Push/Pull/Legs/Push/Pull

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Volume is not the problem, trust me. On chest/back/legs I do 16-18 sets and on biceps/triceps I do 12 sets.

I'm training 5 days a week.
    Push/Pull/Legs/Push/Pull
    Bear in mind volume only counts if you are using weights that are at least 60% of your 1RM. If you burn yourself out quickly and end up pumping light weights for the rest of the session, it will not have the same effect as a couple of well targetted exercises with smart programming. Watch Layne Nortons recent video about training to failure vs. volume.

Bear in mind volume only counts if you are using weights that are at least 60% of your 1RM. If you burn yourself out quickly and end up pumping light weights for the rest of the session, it will not have the same effect as a couple of well targetted exercises with smart programming. Watch Layne Nortons recent video about training to failure vs. volume.
    Well if I do 4 excercises 4 sets x 8-10 reps and I reach failure on 3rd or 4th set on each excercise doesn't that mean I'm using highest weight I can currently handle? I mean if I increase the weight then reps will lower. I never bothered checking my 1RM and then doing 60 or 70% for sets. I always thought if I'm hitting failure or near it by the end of 3rd/4th set then I'm using most optimal weight for ~8-10 reps, is that wrong?
    Last edited by nASTYgator; 09-30-2014 at 08:31 AM.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    They have been the same for the last ~20 days even though my weight has gone up.
    how much growth are you expecting in 20 days , arms grow so slow , its a small muscle , they grow like 1 inch in entire year if that (if you arent holding fat on arms)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    They all went up.
    Squat - from 155lb to 190lb
    Deadlift - not much progress since I got some lower back problems - from 135 to 160.
    Bench - from 110lb to 145lb

My strength seems to keep going up but when I try to measure and look at the mirror I see no difference besides the fact my abs keep fading away. For last month I've gained like 2.5-3lbs but my arms have not grown. Does it mean its mostly fat gain?
    Deal with your back problem first, then, once recovered, get back to regular progressively-heavier training on all three lifts (along with whatever accessory lifts you're also using).

Arms won't grow any appreciable amount unless you're seeing an increase of overall muscle mass; add 10 pounds of quality muscle to your entire frame, and you'll "magically" see an increase in arm size of about an inch.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Deal with your back problem first, then, once recovered, get back to regular progressively-heavier training on all three lifts (along with whatever accessory lifts you're also using).

Arms won't grow any appreciable amount unless you're seeing an increase of overall muscle mass; add 10 pounds of quality muscle to your entire frame, and you'll "magically" see an increase in arm size of about an inch.
    I still train my back with other excercises such as barbell rows, pull downs, dumbbel rows etc. As far as I know deadlifts are not a must-do for back development. And I was wondering how does my weight keep going up as much as 3 lbs a month but my arms stay the same. They should at least get some tiny increase in size considering its my first 3 months bulking/noobie gains etc but I got nothing. That's what concerns me ( and having no soreness ever for the past 2 months ).
    Last edited by nASTYgator; 09-30-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I still train my back with other excercises such as barbell rows, pull downs, dumbbel rows etc. As far as I know deadlifts are not a must-do for back development. And I was wondering how does my weight keep going up as much as 3 lbs a month but my arms stay the same. They should at least get some tiny increase in size considering its my first 3 months bulking/noobie gains etc but I got nothing. That's what concerns me ( and having no soreness ever for the past 2 months ).
    soreness will go away the more you do something. I squat 3 days a week with zero soreness. In fact I don;lt get sore at all anymore unless I take time off when work gets really busy.

If you're gaining weight and your arms or other parts aren't getting bigger...you're probably just gaining fat which for males tends to go right at your gut.

Also for 3 months progress your lifts are not really that great. Try getting a 5x5 set up where you can use much more heavier and intense(% of 1RM) weights.
    OG

Well if I do 4 excercises 4 sets x 8-10 reps and I reach failure on 3rd or 4th set on each excercise doesn't that mean I'm using highest weight I can currently handle? I mean if I increase the weight then reps will lower. I never bothered checking my 1RM and then doing 60 or 70% for sets. I always thought if I'm hitting failure or near it by the end of 3rd/4th set then I'm using most optimal weight for ~8-10 reps, is that wrong?
    It might be about right in the first exercise you do - but then you move on to other 3 exercises while fatigued.

There is a difference between intensity (% of 1RM when fresh) and perceived exertion (how much you can do given how fatigued you are).

It might be about right in the first exercise you do - but then you move on to other 3 exercises while fatigued.

There is a difference between intensity (% of 1RM when fresh) and perceived exertion (how much you can do given how fatigued you are).
    So you would suggest I lower my weight on first excercise so that I can lift heavier on the latter?

Just be aware of what your 1RM is and where you are training. You don't have to train to failure and you should also use a variety of rep ranges. Anything from 5 to 15.