capsfan19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Elliptical vs. Walking on treadmill

Which will give me better results, using the elliptical or walking?

Elliptical: let's say level 10, on the "full body workout" setting, 45 minutes a day 4x per week

Walking: 3.5/4mph, 45 minutes a day 4x per week

I want to run but I have arch problems in my feet. Walking can get painful too but I can deal with it if it will be more effective when it comes to weight loss/fat burn.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Walking supposedly burns around 480-540 Calories per hour.

The Elliptical supposedly burns like 1200

Not really, but even with the exaggerated claims of the Elliptical, it will probably burn more than 480 C/hr.

BTW: Most any cardio machines IME (not accounting for injuries or disabilities) will clock a beginner burning 500 C/hr, and clock a novice at about 900 C/hr over a 25 minute interval. All cardio machines I've employed tend to follow that trend. For me, they've been pretty consistent between each other.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)

Overestimation of Calories Burned

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Walking supposedly burns around 480-540 Calories per hour.

The Elliptical supposedly burns like 1200

Not really, but even with the exaggerated claims of the Elliptical, it will probably burn more than 480 C/hr.

BTW: Most any cardio machines IME (not accounting for injuries or disabilities) will clock a beginner burning 500 C/hr, and clock a novice at about 900 C/hr over a 25 minute interval. All cardio machines I've employed tend to follow that trend. For me, they've been pretty consistent between each other.
    Don't Get Burned by Calorie Counters
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/ex...ory?id=9966500

Ellipticals grossly overestimate caloric expenditure, as you noted. For that matter, so do Treadmills, Bikes and other cardio equipment.

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption, EPOC

While the number of calories burned in a workout matter, what matters more the number of calories burn post workout.

As you know, to increase you post workout metabolism, intensity it the key via High Intensity Interval Aerobic Taining.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by capsfan19 View Post

Elliptical: let's say level 10, on the "full body workout" setting, 45 minutes a day 4x per week

I want to run but I have arch problems in my feet. Walking can get painful too but I can deal with it if it will be more effective when it comes to weight loss/fat burn.
    It's The Method NOT The Exercise

Any type of exercise method can be used to increase your metabolism.

The key is to preform some type of High Intensity Interval Training.

This method increases you post workout metabolism.

Thus, you end up burning more calories/body fat hours after your training session.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 09-24-2014 at 06:46 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000)
    When it comes to cardio, specifically steady state, you burn the same amount of calories per distance regardless of pace.
    So the faster you are going, the faster you get your workout done.

You will burn 100 calories walking a mile in 15 minutes.
    You will burn 100 calories running a mile in 8 minutes.
    Difference is time you wasting puttering away on the treadmill.

That's why running is for the truly lazy people.

Arch problems have nothing to do with running. Walking, especially fast walking, is much harder on your joints.

Steady state cardio isn't the best for long term fat loss. You need more in your routine is optimal results are what you want.
    Unless you can lift because of your arch problems
    I like personal responsibility and accountability. When you admit you are the problem you are simultaneously admitting you are the solution.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Why do you want to "lose" weight? At your age, and only 145 pounds, you should be training to add body weight.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Why do you want to "lose" weight? At your age, and only 145 pounds, you should be training to add body weight.
    OP doesn't state height or gender so this advice isn't necessarily good. If OP is a 4 10 female for eg.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by chamelious View Post
    OP doesn't state height or gender so this advice isn't necessarily good. If OP is a 4 10 female for eg.
    Thanks for the critique.

I'll keep it in mind.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The Elliptical, if one has to choose between the two. I like it because it also uses your arms (gets the blood flowing better) and it's one of the lowest impact workouts you can do.

I know I'll probably get flack, but personally I found one of those home workout videos to be better than either. A lot of them are just sports mobility exercises strung together into a "cardio" routine. Don't expect to gain muscle with them, but they cardio for you and for me also loosened me up a lot. My shoulders, hips, legs, etc feel a lot better than when I started. Drawback is mainly that the elliptical is a lot more relaxing - you can move and zone out, the video's you pay attention and I'm pretty exhausted at the end.

ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ChrisCollins91 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Depends on the intensity you set it at.

Say you go on the treadmill, but only walk at 3.0 and no incline.

Instead of 3.7 and 1.5 - 2.0 incline.

You will find that 3.7 and setting your incline from 1.5-2.0 will bring you far better results than 3.0 and no incline.

Same goes for elliptical.

Start at level 10, and then after 5 minutes set it to level 15. Do 5 minutes at level 15, and then go back down to level 10. Then after that set it to level 20 for 5 minutes and then go back down to level 10. I guarantee you that your results will be very good.