dgcoffman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stretching Questions

How quickly can I safely increase range of motion? Is there a limit; if so, what is it and what determines that limit?

What are the biological processes that allows for increased range of motion as the result of stretching (e.g. existing tissue stretches, new tissue is formed, brain stuff, some combination)?

Assuming no injury, does stretching for 2 minutes result in more permanent (or long/term) range of motion increase compared with stretching for 30 seconds?

What if I stretch for an hour?

Is there a benefit to taking breaks / releasing stretches as opposed to one single prolonged stretch?

Contrast these two stretching programs:
    1. Stretch and hold for 30 seconds, release for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times
    2. Stretch and hold for 90 seconds
    3. Stretch and hold for 90 seconds, release for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times

Is there any difference in terms of increasing RoM comparing the three? Is there any difference in injury risk? Are the answers to these questions quantifiable? Does it vary by targeted muscle(s)? If so, how?

How does stretching cause injuries?

Are range of motion increases permanent? If not, how quickly does range of motion decrease? What causes it to decrease? How can I delay or prevent the decrease? What is the biological (or biomechanical?) process that decreases range of motion?

KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Time during a stretch past 60 seconds doesn't matter. Also, stretching less than 20-30 seconds isn't enough to allow a change in plasticity.

Plasticity= assume a new and greater length
    Elasticity= ability to return to normal length

The most effective time to stretch is after a workout. I stretch almost 20 min after every workout. Stretching every muscle that was previously stressed.

Whats called PNF, is an assisted stretch, which usually requires a partner but some stretches can be done by yourself. PNF has a good amount of research to back it up.

For instance, contract the muscle for 5 secs, relax for .5 sec, then stretch for 10-20 sec (increase the stretch length, ROM, a little each time). Do this for about 3x-4x.

Stretching doesn't cause injuries, muscles and tendons are very strong. A change in ROM is not permanent, just like muscle growth isn't either. You have to be consistent with progress, and "if you don't use it, you lose it"
    Keith Alpichi , B.S. in Kinesiology, CPT, and Founder of KA Fitness & Athletics

Online personal training (Personalized exercise and nutritional programming via online training software application)
    Bootcamp group training & sports performance training based out of San Jose, Ca

Visit www.keithalpichi.com
    For training and business inquiries please email keith@keithalpichi.com

Originally Posted by KAFitness View Post
    Time during a stretch past 60 seconds doesn't matter. Also, stretching less than 20-30 seconds isn't enough to allow a change in plasticity.
    Thanks, I've heard that. Why doesn't stretching past 60 seconds matter? Why doesn't stretching less than 20-30 seconds change plasticity? If 20 seconds doesn't increase plasticity but 60 seconds does, why doesn't 120 seconds increase it more?

I've also heard the "use it or lose it" thing. My specific questions are:
    1. How fast do you lose it?
    2. What's happening biologically when you lose it?

KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good question. Through my education and experience this is what I know works. I'd have to look into some research and get back to you on the specifics of your question.

As for the minimum time under tension, it is recommended to stretch past at least 20-30 sec because it takes about 10 sec for the GTO to be stimulated in order to inhibit a reflex. Basically, after 10 seconds, the muscle relaxes allowing it to assume a new length.

A lot of people only stretch for 5-10 seconds but they waste their time.

Online personal training (Personalized exercise and nutritional programming via online training software application)

Good question. Through my education and experience this is what I know works. I'd have to look into some research and get back to you on the specifics of your question.

As for the minimum time under tension, it is recommended to stretch past at least 20-30 sec because it takes about 10 sec for the GTO to be stimulated in order to inhibit a reflex. Basically, after 10 seconds, the muscle relaxes allowing it to assume a new length.

A lot of people only stretch for 5-10 seconds but they waste their time.
    I appreciate your responses so far. I'm very new and trying to get some physiological foundations.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I would check for muscle knots/trigger points before stretching. Often, these can shorten the muscle - and if they are present then stretching is thought to be ineffective or even counterproductive (although this view is not universally held). Personally I never do static stretching - just mobility / dynamic stretching before working out - de francos agile 8 is highly recommended.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I would check for muscle knots/trigger points before stretching. Often, these can shorten the muscle - and if they are present then stretching is thought to be ineffective or even counterproductive (although this view is not universally held). Personally I never do static stretching - just mobility / dynamic stretching before working out - de francos agile 8 is highly recommended.
    Thanks I've been checking out his "Limber 11" video on youtube -- but can't link because this is only my 4th post. You can find it on google. I just purchased a foam roller and lacrosse ball at the advice of my trainer. Seems like there is some debate about whether doing stretches is a good idea, but I need to increase my hip/leg range of motion in order to be able to squat properly, which I can't now.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dgcoffman View Post
    Thanks I've been checking out his "Limber 11" video on youtube -- but can't link because this is only my 4th post. You can find it on google. I just purchased a foam roller and lacrosse ball at the advice of my trainer. Seems like there is some debate about whether doing stretches is a good idea, but I need to increase my hip/leg range of motion in order to be able to squat properly, which I can't now.
    Some people do need to stretch, I'm probably lucky to be naturally flexible... but all I'm saying is sort out the trigger points first and if this isn't enough then you may have to do static stretching at the end of your workout. It seems to work best when the muscles are tired. I always did it this way for Taekwondo (20 years ago) - at one point I was a whisker away from full box splits.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yes using a self-myofascial release works wonders. Especially getting into those knots/trigger points like you stated. A foam roller and lacrosse ball will do the trick. Roll around until you feel the 'tender' knots. Keep rolling that part out.

What movement, exactly, are you having trouble to perform? Hip flexors (anterior)? Hip extensors (posterior)?

Here are some links about various stretching techniques.

http://www.coreperformance.com/hip-flexors/?path=/video

http://www.coreperformance.com/stret...ath=/knowledge

Yes using a self-myofascial release works wonders. Especially getting into those knots/trigger points like you stated. A foam roller and lacrosse ball will do the trick. Roll around until you feel the 'tender' knots. Keep rolling that part out.

What movement, exactly, are you having trouble to perform? Hip flexors (anterior)? Hip extensors (posterior)?
    I'm doing Starting Strength and have very bad lumbar spine flexion during low bar squats, meaning I can't get anywhere near parallel. I've been cycling for years. Apparently have pretty bad imbalances in my hips and hamstrings. I've been trying some static stretching but I have questions about the fastest and safest way to get the increased RoM I need in order to squat correctly.

Do you have a lateral pic of your pelvic/lower spine area? This may help as I can simply see if there are any posture implications. This will help uncover muscular imbalances including pelvic tilt. Possible anterior pelvic tilt, which is common.