jenvan78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto on a budget

I've noticed that a lot of the ingredients in the keto stuff have almond and/or coconut flour. These are high in price, right? I want to start keto but fear the carb cravings. I am a carb addict and want to be able to make things that kill cravings without messing up the keto process, yet that don't make me feel deprived. Know what I mean? Any tips or tricks for sweets and is there a website with recipes that have cheaper ingredients. I'm just kind of overwhelmed at the moment.

Thanks

XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XinApoK is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    look up carbquick.
    Professional Athlete Crew
    Former D1 Athlete Crew
    Bald but dates a dime Crew

raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OP I'm the same tbh, I'm a mad carb addict, especially sweets, when I'm not in keto I can't control myself! I could easily eat a block of chocolate or a whole cheesecake lol.

However there is good news, once you're adapted, your appetite in general will go down so those cravings will go down most of the time.

One of the best tops I can give you is to plan ahead your meals either a day in advance or a week. It helps with compliance, also prepare your shopping according to the plan and stick to it. Also eat a big meal before you shop, roaming the shops on an empty stomach is unwise!

You have to learn to be creative. A few 'sweet' crave busters I've come up with:

A block of Cream cheese (here in aus there is one called 'Philadelphia' it's 250 grams a block. Microwave it for about a minute so it's warm and soft, then I mix in 2 teaspoons of super fruit nutrient powder, some fad vitamin stuff I found it's got a really sweet fruity taste but only a couple grams if carbs. Then I eat it like a fruit pudding. Comes out to about a third of my calorie intake so it's a serious meal in and if itself lol.

raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chocolate mousse : Cream with cocoa or raw cacao mixed in and a few drops of liquid stevia to taste (a bottle if liquid stevia is a good investment IMHO).

Hot chocolate: cream mixed with a little water, warm it up, add cocoa and stevia like above. You could add whey also if it suits your needs.

Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jenvan78 View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of the ingredients in the keto stuff have almond and/or coconut flour. These are high in price, right? I want to start keto but fear the carb cravings. I am a carb addict and want to be able to make things that kill cravings without messing up the keto process, yet that don't make me feel deprived. Know what I mean? Any tips or tricks for sweets and is there a website with recipes that have cheaper ingredients. I'm just kind of overwhelmed at the moment.

Thanks
    Killing crawings is a lot less about getting the crawed for foods and a lot more about making your brain "happy" than you would tend to think. If you can maintain a good level of ketosis your crawings will be gone for most of the time. The easy way to do this is with the clever use of MCT oil, but that tend to be a bit on the expensive side. You can use coconut oil which is mostly C12, and not a lot of C10 or C8, which are the fats most easily converted to ketones. MCT is 98 % or so C10/C8 and gives you a real stable, concentrated, "happy" brain for most of the day.

I found that just eating more fat and oil and less carbs wasnt really cutting it and that supplementing with MCT made a big difference.

Regarding the money side of things: If you are as badly served by eating carbs as I was, then you are probably going to find that your financial situation can be improved based on better stamina, concentration and endurance. When ketosis works for you for real, the experience of being overwhelmed will be replaced by steady planned action.
    Eddie Izzard for Mayor!!!!

grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Shenpen View Post
    I found that just eating more fat and oil and less carbs wasnt really cutting it and that supplementing with MCT made a big difference.
    Interesting observation. I will have to pick up some MCT oil to make a comparison.

Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    Interesting observation. I will have to pick up some MCT oil to make a comparison.
    Just go slow. There is a bit of adaptation for the stomach and if you take too much too fast, you will get cramps, pain and "stomach troubles"/ Dehli-belly. :/

A few spoonfulls is a good test of tolerance.

The longer chains go into lymph which is the slower route. C10 and C8 will take the nutrition expressway via portal vein, directly from intestines to liver. Most circulation is from one organ (lung, muscle, brain) back to heart and then spread out from there to any other organ. But there is a direct connection so that blood will travel from heart, to intestines and via portal vein to liver and then back to heart. This makes for very effective transport of some digested nutrients to the liver.

grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just go slow. There is a bit of adaptation for the stomach and if you take too much too fast, you will get cramps, pain and "stomach troubles"/ Dehli-belly. :/

A few spoonfulls is a good test of tolerance.

The longer chains go into lymph which is the slower route. C10 and C8 will take the nutrition expressway via portal vein, directly from intestines to liver. Most circulation is from one organ (lung, muscle, brain) back to heart and then spread out from there to any other organ. But there is a direct connection so that blood will travel from heart, to intestines and via portal vein to liver and then back to heart. This makes for very effective transport of some digested nutrients to the liver.
    I already use copious amounts of Coconut oil without problems. I often break off a cold chunk and eat it as is.

Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    I already use copious amounts of Coconut oil without problems. I often break off a cold chunk and eat it as is.

That was exactly what I was thinking a year ago or so. MCT is different though and you will need to addapt to C8 if you want more than a few spoonfulls.

That was exactly what I was thinking a year ago or so. MCT is different though and you will need to addapt to C8 if you want more than a few spoonfulls.
    OvO
    I better stock up on TP ^^