Closed Thread
    rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Sexism In The Weight Section of The gym

Last night before I did cardio I decided to shoot a video based on what i have been dealing from the gym lately at 24 hour fitness and would like to hear others opinion on this from both men and women who actually try to lift a good amount of weight.

Would love to hear other people stories and opinions who have dealt with this type of situation
    Check out my Youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBarbellSlayer

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So i made it through about 2 and a half minutes of your video, but you seem to talk about how basically you are better than all the males in the gym benching and how you take it upon yourself not only to tell them how to do it, but to spot them without their agreement and you are complaining about sexism????

I dont care how great your bench is, stop giving unsolicited advise to people who do not want or ask for it and your gym life will be better.

Honestly, i have never had any issues with guys in the gym, Most are very encouraging, while ive only had a few try to give me advice.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Gonna make notes as I listen.

You offered to spot him? No. Nothing against " chubby chick " offering. It's offering in general. People will ask if they want it.

17 isn't a little boy. Why the hell do you keep calling everyone old? What's old to you?

You can be irritated all you want....you don't know if it's because your a chick or if it's plain and simple they don't know why someone random is approaching then to spot them. I don't like when people randomly ask me. I'll ask if I need it.

So I actually watched your whole video and I think for the most part you are making it into a "chubby girl" thing.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've been training in an all guy's gym for over 25 yrs. I go in to do my work and have never had issues/problems with anyone ever. If someone needs a spot or has questions they'll come right up and ask me.

Focus on yourself and nevermind everyone else.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Let me unload my balls Paintballchick's Avatar
    Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Paintballchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also never had any issues with guys in the gym and as above had nothing but encouragement and none have given unasked for advice. I would be pissed if they did just randomly spout advice to me without my asking for it! As for rejecting help - wouldn't take it personally, not everyone wants assistance and it makes no difference whether a girl or not. And fyi.. They may not even know that you can lift heavy and it's kinda uppity to assume that people are noticing your heavy lifts, i know that I am only focused on myself and have no clue what anyone else is lifting/doing in the gym.

Focus on yourself at the gym is the final point to all this I'm guessing. If people want a spotter they will find one.
    IG= randomchickaz
    Snapchat = britchickaz

Paintball addict and been on my healthy lifestyle track for a year.

198lbs 2013
    157lbs 2014

"What you do today is important, because you are exchanging a day of your life for it"

Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I got halfway through and had to stop because, well...notsureifsrs.

I don't think they were refusing your help because they assumed you were weak - they just didn't want it. You honestly sound really quite annoying.

Do your own thing, worry about yourself and leave everyone else to it!

TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This cannot be serious?
    Can't isn't in my vocab.

Calf press: 115
    Squats: 135
    Deads: 185
    SLDL: 125
    Overhead press: 60
    Bicep curls: 40
    Bench: 75

writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) writersbloc3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have probably belonged to a dozen gyms in my life. Not once have I ever had a man even look at me strange or say a peep to me. But then again, I mind my own business and am not looking for drama.
    Obsessed: What the lazy call the dedicated~~~Lori

JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Paintballchick View Post
    And fyi.. They may not even know that you can lift heavy and it's kinda uppity to assume that people are noticing your heavy lifts, i
    Dats not it. She's pushing "45's". Which actually annoys me even more cuz she bashes on some "kid" who's struggling to push 35s.

I'm actually really pissed OP. My biggest pet peeve is people bashing at or laughing at talking down bout others at a gym. And all I have engraved from listening to your video is a bunch of "I'm the ****. My bench is tight. Everyone else sucks".

And as for sexism. I don't think woman are "weaker". I actually have more respect for woman lifters at my gym cause most of them use correct form ALL the time and I see so many chicks rocking 225lbs squats going atg that craps on many of the dudes at the gym. You don't see woman doing the crap guys do where they unrack a bench and go an inch down and rerack. But that's cool.....thanks for assuming all guys think ****ty of woman.

Grrr. Neg!

anonymous
    You are waaayyy too concerned with what everyone else is doing.....I congratulate you on your hard work, keep it up, but really......unless someone asks for help, just don't........

Putting in the work IrishLassie78's Avatar
    IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Never have I ever gotten any negativity from guys at either of the gyms I go to. And I have never gotten any impression of sexism from them at all. No one has ever been anything other than polite and helpful to me. Of course I tend to mind my own business and do my own thing without really paying much attention to anyone else unless it's to ask if I can work in with them if it's busy or to ask for a spot if I want/need one. I've never been told, "No you can't work in," or "Nope, not gonna spot you," or anything like that. Yeah, there are going to be times when someone needs to be rescued from under the bar on the bench press and in that case, if you can rescue them, go for it. But just going up and spotting someone when they didn't ask you to is probably not going to win you friends and admirers. It's also been my experience in life that most people do not enjoy receiving unsolicited advice. Giving people advice they didn't ask for almost never gets a positive reaction regardless of the circumstances. It's best, IMO to do your own thing and just keep your criticisms to yourself unless and until someone asks what you think.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163596431

WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Never had an issue. Ive made friends with lots of the guys at the gym. Powerlifters and bodybuilders. Made great friends from just sparking up a conversation over something, and to this day we hang out outside of the gym, celebrate birthdays. If YOU create a problem with the men at the gym they aren't going to respect you. Treat others how you would like to be treated.
    *Prep coach/Cert.Personal trainer-contact for online training
    *Instagram: amythewolf
    *Texas Crew

rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdy2bfit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First person was about to drop it on themselves so i just helped pull it up slightly

The second person the kid I dunno his age exacty. He was dropping it on his neck and the dad was just making it worse. I only asked the dad because they were next to me if they wanted help cause he was making it worse. how much weight it was has nothing to do with the kids strength but has to do with its not that much that anyone couldn't help. Also if its a weight that you are not ready for you should have a good spot no matter who it is or dont even attempt the weight. Denying help just because you have an ego makes you a dick. refusing help because you think your macho and willing to mess someone else up is not helpful.

i never said my bench or anything i do is the best or close too it. But i have learned proper form from some of the best and take pride in actually listening to who ever that might be helpful. Dont think your to damn good for advice. Different people know diffent things so its always good to be a student if you want to go further in anything you get into. I have learned from people who have over 30 years of competitive experience with world records. So i share my knowledge when possible. i do not walk around the gym telling people what to do. i stick to myself.

the last person asked for a spot and i said do you mind if i give you a tip after i helped him.

i come from a real gym where people help each other no matter of who they are or how they look. The gym is like a family and it is full of beasts metroflex long beach. I am now gong to a 24 hour fitness a place with people have stank attitudes but are not even doing that much.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Look, if you are gonna give advice in the gym, first ask yourself these questions:

1) am I a personal trainer?
    2) am i employed by the gym i am currently in?
    3) did this person hire me as their trainer?
    4) did this person ask for my advice/help?

If the answer to those is NOPE, then dont give advice or take it upon yourself to spot people, true no matter your gender.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    Look, if you are gonna give advice in the gym, first ask yourself these questions:

1) am I a personal trainer?
    2) am i employed by the gym i am currently in?
    3) did this person hire me as their trainer?
    4) did this person ask for my advice/help?

If the answer to those is NOPE, then dont give advice or take it upon yourself to spot people, true no matter your gender.

1. You are just being rude
    2. Ive always got help from others without asking and appreciate it. So when i see someone about to hurt themselves right next to me im not going to be a twat waffle and not say anything
    3. I wasnt just going around just lifting weights off of people. I only offered help these few times because these people were really struggling to the point where the spotter can't even lift the off of them.
    4. I do not think any of you understand what i was trying to get at.

1) I am not being rude, what other qualifications do you have to offer advice and "tips" to people other than "l lift".
    2) if you are not employed by the gym, it is not YOUR JOB to watch out for others safety and advise them how to lift. If in fact the gym thinks you are attempting to "train" someone, or you make yourself a problem, then dont be surprised if the gym cancels your membership.
    3) You do not even understand the job of a spotter nor do YOU get to determine when or if someone is "struggling" or at failure. Also, sometimes people do stupid **** in the gym, again... not your job to police the gym.
    4) of course, people who work and work out in a gym can not possibly understand that people work out with horrid form, lift weights that are too heavy for them, and dont want some random person interferring with their workout.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If people want help they will ask...I wouldn't think of helping someone spot unless they asked me. I also wouldn't interfere unless I saw someone stuck under a bench and in need of dire help! I'd also hate if someone came up to me...just let people do their own thing
    Instagram: vicclesloveskarate
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170156703&p=1416249753#post1416249753
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166758171
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157799473&highlight=Vic%27s+log

Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Soulkatti is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's not sexism. That's people reacting accordingly to unsolicited advice or help. I think it's more sexist to assume that all men perceive all women as weak. Also, I can't find one video of you repping 45's without the constant help of a spotter. You are still fairly strong for a woman but I don't think you are strong enough to exude that much hubris. Albeit warranted, here is some unsolicited advice; worry less about others and focus more on yourself and your own actions. It will serve you well, as you won't get so worked up over the things that people do. Also, I'm a personal trainer, yet I still don't give random advice to random people.
    Last edited by Soulkatti; 09-16-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    -Manlet amongst manlets.

540/375/610 LBS Raw w/o Wraps
    OHP 265 LBS
    @198 LBS

Originally Posted by rdy2bfit View Post
    No actually YOU are being very rude! The fact that not ONE single person her has said anything different as to your conduct not being acceptable and yet you still want to attack others says a lot about you.

2. Ive always got help from others without asking and appreciate it. So when i see someone about to hurt themselves right next to me im not going to be a twat waffle and not say anything
    You know how many people I see doing hi rep box jumps at my gym? Did you know that the hi rep box job has single handedly destroyed more Achilles heels than anything else? 25 participants in the Crossfit games injured themselves doing this single event for qualification last year. Do I go and rescue them?? Nope. Not my place. You being a full fledged twat acting like this and still being on a high horse.

3. I wasnt just going around just lifting weights off of people. I only offered help these few times because these people were really struggling to the point where the spotter can't even lift the off of them.
    Well thank god Wonder Woman was there....are you srs?

I highly doubt with the way your attitude has been in here that those were the only times you have behaved this way.

4. I do not think any of you understand what i was trying to get at.
    No we get. Your bench press is the ****. People will kill themselves if you don't patrol the gym. A kid struggling to push 20 lbs less than you deserves to be bashed on and rescued from his pathetic father.

E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    strong backfire

attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) attackdarack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'd rather do the roll of shame than ask anyone for help. You ain't lifting it if someones pulling it off ya ha!

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rdy2bfit View Post
    2.So when i see someone about to hurt themselves right next to me im not going to be a twat waffle and not say anything.
    Actually you *are* being a twat waffle. Right now, and in your gym. I'm glad you don't work out in my gym.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000) HeroesFall is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    Actually you *are* being a twat waffle. Right now, and in your gym. I'm glad you don't work out in my gym.
    I like waffles, and I like the cousin of twat. Is there actually a combination of both that makes something good, or only negative as in this connotation?

Waffles should never be associated with negatvity.
    It's not about where you are today, but what you're doing right now, to build a better you for tomorrow. - Me

Judge not by the color of my reps but on the content of my posts.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just as a +1, i've never really noticed any sexism in my gym. Other than girls in not much clothing getting leered at sometimes, but i guess thats culturally universal really.

I've never experienced anyone rude enough to walk up to someone they don't know any try to offer advice.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com