Closed Thread
Page 3 of 306 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TODJA77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So my chances are better in vegas haha

Originally Posted by ctownballer04 View Post
    hahahah.

Plz stay safe

thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dutchie96 View Post
    looks cool, was worried that the whole time it was gonna be about poverty floor trading. have you seen this documentary on that? it's kinda sad lol
    ^^^

I seen it

yeah its weird how much electronic trading pretty much fukked floor traders

but with out it I couldn't trade from home
    "I bet your parents taught you that you mean something, that you're here for a reason. My parents taught me a different lesson, dying in the gutter for no reason at all... They taught me the world only makes sense if you force it to."

ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Gotta question for you guys, just gonna copy and paste what I sent someone else.

I'm a student looking for a BB internship for summer 2015. I go to a non-target school, essentially have a 4.0 GPA majoring in Math and Finance, with a minor in Economics. I did an internship w/ a private institutional brokerage firm on the floor of the NYSE this summer.

Now I'm going back to school next week and got an e-mail about a small local company offering an investment analyst internship which I'm sure I could get relatively easy. The firm is not prestigious at all on Wall St. but my NYSE internship was my only internship. Do you guys think I should do this internship for the next 9 months during school? Would it look good to BBs if I have a second internship even if it's not from a prestigious firm?

Here is info about the internship.

"No of Openings: 1
    Hours per Week: 15-20
    Compensation: $12-$15 per hour
    Employment Start Date: ASAP
    Employment End Date: June 2015

Position Description:
    an independently owned Wealth Management firm with 8,000 clients nationwide, is seeking an Investment Analyst Intern to perform investment research and reporting tasks in support of internal projects and activities. Responsibilities may include: assisting with equity, bond, and mutual fund research, collecting and organizing data for reports, tracking and analyzing mutual funds to understand performance variance, administrative and data entry/audit activities, account analysis, and other ad-hoc projects. This position will include the opportunity to gain experience with multiple research platforms and processes.

Qualifications:
    • Undergraduate senior or graduate student with a background in finance; progress toward a CFA is a plus.
    • Course work, interest, and experience in investment research and financial analysis.
    • Quick learner with strong research, analytical, communication, and writing skills.
    • Detail-oriented and self-motivated.
    • Strong organizational and time management skills.
    • Intermediate Microsoft Office experience (Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
    • Prior experience with Morningstar, Bloomberg, or fi360 is desirable, but not required.
    • Be authorized to work in the U.S. without restriction as to duration. "

What do you guys think?
    Trading/Investing Thread Crew
    Math Thread Crew
    Poker & Sports Betting crew

**1st Team All Sports Misc**
    Portland Trail Blazers Crew
    Oregon Ducks Crew

RIP ThePrimeSalmon

thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thetrebel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TODJA77 View Post
    worried that the hype might be to much

baba dun goofed by making friday their ipo

should have been a monday

brb retail worrying about a article they read on bi, talking about how baba is over valued

brb worry about it all weekend

brb shares get dumped on monday

suga suga

"I bet your parents taught you that you mean something, that you're here for a reason. My parents taught me a different lesson, dying in the gutter for no reason at all... They taught me the world only makes sense if you force it to."

ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ctownballer04 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Whartonite2014 View Post
    Long time no see, brahs. I've already began talking to headhunters about my next steps. Should have some hedge fund interviews soon. No way in hell I want to stay in IB for the full Analyst Program. Another Analyst in my class has signed an offer with a family office. I know a few people who left banking after less than 16 months, I'm hoping to do the same.

ohh chit. This thread will finally become interesting again.

The Return
    Math Thread Crew

Oregon Ducks Crew

RIP ThePrimeSalmon

arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) arem20 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Gotta question for you guys, just gonna copy and paste what I sent someone else.

I'm a student looking for a BB internship for summer 2015. I go to a non-target school, essentially have a 4.0 GPA majoring in Math and Finance, with a minor in Economics. I did an internship w/ a private institutional brokerage firm on the floor of the NYSE this summer.

Now I'm going back to school next week and got an e-mail about a small local company offering an investment analyst internship which I'm sure I could get relatively easy. The firm is not prestigious at all on Wall St. but my NYSE internship was my only internship. Do you guys think I should do this internship for the next 9 months during school? Would it look good to BBs if I have a second internship even if it's not from a prestigious firm?

Here is info about the internship.

"No of Openings: 1
    Hours per Week: 15-20
    Compensation: $12-$15 per hour
    If it's the most highly value added thing you can do, and you can keep your grades up, sure. Worst case scenario is you'll make between 7 and 12 grand over the year. Could always take the internship and continue to look for other opportunities.

Unless you're going to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. and shooting to work with Goldman right out of college, no firm is going to look down on that kind of experience. Plus during interviews you can highlight the fact that you completed a rigorous workload this year, maintained a stellar GPA, and worked a finance related internship at the same time.

To virtually any employer looking to hire interns for the summer it's going to signal that you're hard working, can manage your time, have experience, and are bright. That's a pretty optimal candidate.

And honestly in the end, like I said, unless you're shooting for Goldman, you're cherry. Have buddies that are 26-27 working in different parts of finance, without an MBA but a solid GPA and a couple have CFA's, they're all making over $90k and some closer to low-mid $100's. Throw in an MBA in a couples years from a tier 2 school and they're well on their way to making serious money by the time they're mid 30's. You're not going to be Jamie Dimon, but a beach house, 2nd wife 15 years younger than you, a Porsche and a truck plus a range for the wife, a side condo for the mistress, etc. You'll be doing just fine.
    *True Detective Crew*
    *JUICY J Twerk Scholarship Troll Crew*

"The accumulation and the repayment of debt basically drives every economic cycle that there is."
    -PTJ

Originally Posted by arem20 View Post
    If it's the most highly value added thing you can do, and you can keep your grades up, sure. Worst case scenario is you'll make between 7 and 12 grand over the year. Could always take the internship and continue to look for other opportunities.

Unless you're going to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. and shooting to work with Goldman right out of college, no firm is going to look down on that kind of experience. Plus during interviews you can highlight the fact that you completed a rigorous workload this year, maintained a stellar GPA, and worked a finance related internship at the same time.

To virtually any employer looking to hire interns for the summer it's going to signal that you're hard working, can manage your time, have experience, and are bright. That's a pretty optimal candidate.

And honestly in the end, like I said, unless you're shooting for Goldman, you're cherry. Have buddies that are 26-27 working in different parts of finance, without an MBA but a solid GPA and a couple have CFA's, they're all making over $90k and some closer to low-mid $100's. Throw in an MBA in a couples years from a tier 2 school and they're well on their way to making serious money by the time they're mid 30's. You're not going to be Jamie Dimon, but a beach house, 2nd wife 15 years younger than you, a Porsche and a truck plus a range for the wife, a side condo for the mistress, etc. You'll be doing just fine.
    Well fuk, that's my ideal goal lmao.... My goal is to go into BB then go to a Harvard/Wharton level school for an MBA. I have the GPA to do it, I know I could score the GMAT to do it, I just need the prestigious 2 years of work experience at a BB to get into something like that.

I hear you though, I'm talking with a bunch of people trying to use connections from NY and what not trying to get into a Goldman or Goldman-tier BB. If I take it, it'll 100% evaporate my social life, but I'm okay with that. I'm just thinking could it be looked down upon by some top tier firms? I don't know really. I just think it may be helpful to have two internships on my resume on the hunt for a BB. I'm already doing everything possible value-add academically speaking. There aren't many internships in Portland, that would be considered value-add to Wall St.

Would rep but need to spread more.
    Math Thread Crew

Oregon Ducks Crew

RIP ThePrimeSalmon

Redraiders Whiteknight<3 Yero91's Avatar
    Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yero91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cheers to a new thread and more gains to come.

Jew.gif

Originally Posted by arem20 View Post
    [IMGhttp://i62.tinypic.com/jpvsi1.jpg[/IMG]

To all the haters that claim macro economic fundamentals trading can't be done.

And that is how Forex is done my friends. Just closed out both positions. Made about 600% on that trade, lol. Could have been a lot more if I had leveraged up more but I'm comfortable with it.

I believe tekk criticized me for not playing the USD/JPY long earlier when I said it was a slam dunk to go to 106. Now I did And 106 is where i think reasonable value is. If it dips below 102 again I'll re-enter the exact same trade.

Been going on a few expensive trips etc. so haven't been very involved in the markets or reading besides a few cursory glances at the news.

Gonna buckle down again for the fall and winter.
    Mirin.
    *Trading and investing crew*
    *Snizzle77 crew*
    *sniff hard as fukc when i see Redraider86 post so i can smell her perfume, crew*
    *Redraider86 crew*
    *Heart skips a beat when I see Redraider86 post crew*
    *shrine dedicated to Redraider86 crew*
    *saving myself for Redraider86 crew*

I won't be posting often. Also, if you want a BB, FO internship (IBD, ER, S&T), you're not going to get it sending emails from Oregon. In my summer, there was a non target. He had "networking trips." He flew out to NYC to meet analysts, associates, MDs, etc. That is not the first time I've heard of such a story.

What do you want to do? Goldman has accelerated interviews for IBD in January.
    I interned on the NYSE this summer so I'm sending e-mails to people I have already met. Also sending a few blind e-mails/LinkedIn stuff but mostly people I know.

I don't care what I do, something in IBD. Debt or Equity financing both sound interesting, just want the best exit opportunities. I've heard M&A has some of the best exit opportunities but don't know how accurate that is.
    Math Thread Crew

Oregon Ducks Crew

RIP ThePrimeSalmon

I hope you're not thinking, "Either I work at Goldman, or bust." You will NOT be summering at Goldman. The only non targets who work there (for IBD) are black kids from 5he SEO program (who don't get return offers, usually). Even still, Morehouse is a target school, to be quite honest. So I retract that, lol. But you're not going to work at Goldman.

MM IBD --> MM PE --> Harvard is doable. Cast a wide net. Look at MM investment banks, too.

If I was not clear enough, your background is too weak (right now) for a top BB. I definitely think you can do IB at a top MM bank, even lower tier BB with your credentials of you hustle.

Hustling is the most important qualifier here.

I'm gonna look through my resource folder to see what I can post to help you out. I'll post them by the end of the night.
    I don't have that attitude. I'm casting my net wide. My understanding is that Goldman is one of the most accepting of non-targets in BB. I've read that they care more about just having the smartest people and not people who studied finance. They have been recruiting more and more math, physics, and engineering students so I feel that may be able to help me. Also have one connection at Goldman who I am currently talking too, not very likely though as you said.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your post later tonight.
    Math Thread Crew

Oregon Ducks Crew

RIP ThePrimeSalmon

xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I interned on the NYSE this summer so I'm sending e-mails to people I have already met. Also sending a few blind e-mails/LinkedIn stuff but mostly people I know.

I don't care what I do, something in IBD. Debt or Equity financing both sound interesting, just want the best exit opportunities. I've heard M&A has some of the best exit opportunities but don't know how accurate that is.
    Are you sure you want to work in IBD? Or are you using it as a transition? Banking is pretty torturous work.

Well to be clear, getting in a BB you need either excellent grades from a target school with two relevant internships under your belt involving deals or corp finance work (at least one at a BB), and some networking, or top-5 MBA program with some prior experience as well, and heavy networking just to get an interview. Bankers scan resumes very quickly and have a strong bias for brand names and anything that reads “Investment Banking Analyst". So school name, GPA, employer brand name, and interests are the key words to pass the first screen, unfortunately. They get thousands of resumes to read through, it only takes a couple of seconds before they decide to stop reading. You'd have much better chances landing an interview with a front office intern at GS fetching coffee for people, than interning at a smaller shop front office closing dozens of deals. Unless of course you know someone inside that can fix you up. School/GPA is almost irrelevant after the interview. It’s only relevant for getting your foot in the door.

Your intern offer is not banking related, it's private wealth management, so you'd generally leverage that into PWM at a bigger bank, or AM/ER at a MM bank. To be honest, you really need the networking right now to get what you want. I'm sure you'd make a great employee for a BB, but they don't care who gets hired, they just looking to fill holes with the least effort.
    PhD in Hairloss bro-science

apple pay rustling jimmies

“We the people / Want our money / Safer than our selfies”

lmao

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogo...ifer-lawrence/

DON'T LET ME INTO MY ZONE SBrittonthereal's Avatar
    SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000) SBrittonthereal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by thetrebel View Post

lmao

paypal sucks - cant even login to their apple app with 2 way authorization.

Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BURNit View Post
    OP, those "HOW/WHERE CAN I LEARN THIS STUFF?" links don't seem to be working (404 error)
    Fixed - Thanks for pointing that out.

What's everyones strategy for buying BABA? Is a market order the night before suicide?
    That's like asking if buying a lotto ticket is a bad idea. It's a great idea if you win but a terrible idea if you lose. I think most people will wait for that first 5min to get a feel for market direction. I'm hearing it will IPO around $70. Remember it was evaluated between $60-66. So a 10% pump is already factored in at $70. With that said I see more upside potential than down side ... at least on opening day, but I've been wrong before.

No, at least here you can assess your risk level and place your bet in which ever way favors your odds. In Vegas you always lose to the house edge!

Originally Posted by thetrebel View Post

lmao

Haha true that but I'm sure there are some poverty bishes that hold more value on a nude selfie than on their debt driven bank accounts
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03

rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000)
    So been lurkin for a while I'm 4th year finance student in canada just wanted to introduce myself and had come juicy gains today on parkland fuels jumped 12% due to them taking over another company Jew.gif amidoinitrite?

Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rickerson14 View Post
    So been lurkin for a while I'm 4th year finance student in canada just wanted to introduce myself and had come juicy gains today on parkland fuels jumped 12% due to them taking over another company Jew.gif amidoinitrite?
    Welcome; was that your P/L or are these unrealized gains?
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03

I think we get a bounce hear

blue is possible targets

accumulation is over

masses have forgotten about hack, 4 quarter is coming lots of holidays

ALL ABOARD THE GAIN TRAIN

margin loaded

leggoooooo
    Last edited by thetrebel; 09-18-2014 at 12:45 PM.

rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000) rickerson14 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Barn01 View Post
    Welcome; was that your P/L or are these unrealized gains?
    Unrealized gains inb4 get angus peppered for talking about unrealized gains

xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000) xRedStaRx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rickerson14 View Post
    Well since most M&As destroy shareholder value and therefore stock price takes a hit, then yes, you did it right.

dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchie96 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    reps for help

I need to write an essay about economic research programs for a philosophy class.

"Illustrate the idea of ​​a research program with an example from your own field of study. Consider an example of a 'research program' of the economy (not a single theory!) And explain if this is a progressive, degenerative, or perhaps an already dead program. These include questions such as: what programs competes or competed your example? Was there some spectacular predictions were confirmed or refuted? Or was the rise and fall more gradual? Does this example fit into the vision of Lakatos, or does it seem to be a counter example?"

what research program should i use? i was thinking maybe something about efficient markets but i dunno

dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dan213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Any advice for someone who is just starting a Roth IRA? I'm planning on putting the $5500 max in it soon but am slightly confused as what is the best way to do it. I'm looking for a conservative, long-term approach so would investing in a "large cap stock fund" be my best way to go? The fees of .45% seem high however. I signed up with Fidelity btw.

I'm going to talk to my tax guy who is knowledgeable on this stuff tomorrow but was wondering if anyone in here had any advice.

Thanks.
    ---

GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dan213 View Post
    Any advice for someone who is just starting a Roth IRA? I'm planning on putting the $5500 max in it soon but am slightly confused as what is the best way to do it. I'm looking for a conservative, long-term approach so would investing in a "large cap stock fund" be my best way to go? The fees of .45% seem high however. I signed up with Fidelity btw.

I'm going to talk to my tax guy who is knowledgeable on this stuff tomorrow but was wondering if anyone in here had any advice.

Thanks.
    imo @ your age growth is ideal. The markets will prevail as long as you keep adding into them and not stopping? I wish I was more aggressive when I started.

Basically history tells us you will never go broke following an index. (takes a lot to get rich but that's another story lol).

Also I think in the past 12 years now may only have 1 down year.....which was nasty, but recovered very quick

edit: Baba going to take us too the moon.

Originally Posted by GabrielNovar View Post
    imo @ your age growth is ideal. The markets will prevail as long as you keep adding into them and not stopping? I wish I was more aggressive when I started.

Basically history tells us you will never go broke following an index. (takes a lot to get rich but that's another story lol).

Also I think in the past 12 years now may only have 1 down year.....which was nasty, but recovered very quick

edit: Baba going to take us too the moon.
    It's also very important to time that first time (and subsequent times when applicable) properly. Following an index means nothing when you get inside a bubble.

GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GabrielNovar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by xRedStaRx View Post
    It's also very important to time that first time (and subsequent times when applicable) properly. Following an index means nothing when you get inside a bubble.
    Very true, personally I like to do 25% increments on 5-10% pull backs over the course of 6-12 months. Given the market today that does not work out too well.

Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Relating to what you guys were talking about at the beginning of this page...

Is it weird for a post grad to get an internship?
    And how hard is it for someone with an accounting degree to study finance in grad school (and perhaps one day get a CFA)?

Originally Posted by Virus4762 View Post
    Relating to what you guys were talking about at the beginning of this page...

Is it weird for a post grad to get an internship?
    And how hard is it for someone with an accounting degree to study finance in grad school (and perhaps one day get a CFA)?
    Not really no. I got an internship post-graduation in AM. But that's because I want a career change, and this was my only option at getting IB exposure.

Not hard, I'm studying level II with an Econ degree (worthless), so an accounting degree will have much better leverage. If I could, then you certainly can.

Before studying for the CFA or doing grad school, what are your goals? Don't waste time with low ROI commitments.

Originally Posted by GabrielNovar View Post
    Very true, personally I like to do 25% increments on 5-10% pull backs over the course of 6-12 months. Given the market today that does not work out too well.
    Haha 10% pullback these days would have the reporters calling for the end of the world. I think most people forget what volatility even is anymore.
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03

Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by xRedStaRx View Post
    Before studying for the CFA or doing grad school, what are your goals? Don't waste time with low ROI commitments.
    I actually don't think I'll end up going to grad school but it's something I haven't ruled out. My plans for the future are very uncertain. I'm returning to America soon but only for 9 months or so (which is why I asked about the internship) then I'm returning to Asia. I've thought about going to grad school in Hong Kong but am not sure. Like I said, I'm very uncertain about my future.

EDIT: Am I the only one stupid enough to be thinking about making a small investment in BABA when the market opens?
    Last edited by Virus4762; 09-19-2014 at 06:10 AM.

I actually don't think I'll end up going to grad school but it's something I haven't ruled out. My plans for the future are very uncertain. I'm returning to America soon but only for 9 months or so (which is why I asked about the internship) then I'm returning to Asia. I've thought about going to grad school in Hong Kong but am not sure. Like I said, I'm very uncertain about my future.

EDIT: Am I the only one stupid enough to be thinking about making a small investment in BABA when the market opens?
    Do you have level 2? If you do then watch how the orders are stacking up. It will have explosive volume in the first 5min. So ummm NO you're not the only one
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03

A MsF will definitely be helpful should you look for a financial career. If it's an MBA you're thinking about, I wouldn't waste my time with a hacksaw university, it's top 10 or nothing, even top 5 is preferable. CFA is usually only good for PM or ER (don't overlap with a MsF), that's the target of the whole program in general, although the first two levels are very helpful for financial analysis overall. You need to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life now. Your 20s are the most important period to define your career. It took me four years of college and a year after to figure that out.