MnMBailey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Second or Third Degree Groin Strain!!

Hey all!

I'm normally an extremely active person...running, biking, hiking...you name it. Back in June, I was doing my regular stretching routine after I worked out and I felt this very slight twinge in my left adductor while going into the splits. It felt kinda funny when I got back up and I knew something just wasn't quite right. I rested a few days and it seemed to go away; however, about a week later, I was rather quickly going up the stairs and I felt a very sharp sting across the adductor followed by rather intense swelling. Again, I rested it and eased back into biking and such, but it continued to kinda "retweek". It got to the point where I started using my right leg for everything including soley using it to climb the stairs and sure enough while going up the stairs again in early August, I felt that familiar pain streak, but this time, across my right adductor. Finally, I knew I had to just bite the bullet and stop doing any sort of activity and just rest. I got an MRI just to make sure nothing needed surgery and the doc said they were second to third degree strains in my adductors...the left is more in the tendon and the right is a little more in the muscle. Right after it happened I could barely even move my legs. Everything hurt...walking, standing, sitting, even laying if I wasn't on my side with a pillow between my knees. Since then, I've been doing nothing but icing, sitting, and taking some ibuprofen every once in a while. I 've had to use crutches to try and go to class; but, sitting through class was nearly unbearable. It's been about two weeks of this and I can feel them slightly getting better, I can walk now...but only for a short while and very very slowly. I keep feeling sharp pains in my right and it swells up for a while then goes back down. In my left; though, I get this sharp, almost catching feeling right in the crease, it doesn't really swell that much but it doesn't seem to go away either until the next day. I was just curious if anyone has healed from a severe stain like this and whether or not these "pains" happened to them or if it means I'm still continuing to damage them. Also, does anyone have a time frame on their recovery or any tips or tricks that helped them along the way?

Obviously, I know I was absolutely stupid to continue to try and work through it when it wasn't so severe...nevertheless I've gotten my self to this point and I just was hoping for some consolation regarding recovery time. I hate being so immobile and I feel absolutely terrible that I can't help out around the farm like I used to. Please any successful recovery stories are much appreciated.

Thanks

acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sounds like you need some ibuprofen...

Originally Posted by acrobat2000 View Post
    Sounds like you need some ibuprofen...
    I do but it doesn't help much

Anyone?

riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Based on your weight, I'm guessing you're a female? Have you been assessed for any possible pelvic obliquities/asymmetries?
    Physical Therapist

These posts are not to be accepted or inferred as medical advice.

Originally Posted by riseboi View Post
    Based on your weight, I'm guessing you're a female? Have you been assessed for any possible pelvic obliquities/asymmetries?
    Yeah...she said my left was a little higher than my right, but, that it shouldn't really be anything to be concerned about.

riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000) riseboi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MnMBailey View Post
    Yeah...she said my left was a little higher than my right, but, that it shouldn't really be anything to be concerned about.
    From my experience, more often than not, when there is asymmetry at the hip there are likely asymmetries at the pubic symphysis. It's not uncommon to have adductor pain/strain from pubic dysfunction, especially with young female athletes and post-partum women.

Do you ever feel like one leg is longer than the other?

In any regard, I would personally recommend you get further evaluation. The fact that prolonged sitting has or was unbearable points to more than an adductor strain IMO. And having to use crutches to get to class to a significant problem that should be addressed.
    Physical Therapist

Originally Posted by riseboi View Post
    From my experience, more often than not, when there is asymmetry at the hip there are likely asymmetries at the pubic symphysis. It's not uncommon to have adductor pain/strain from pubic dysfunction, especially with young female athletes and post-partum women.

Do you ever feel like one leg is longer than the other?

In any regard, I would personally recommend you get further evaluation. The fact that prolonged sitting has or was unbearable points to more than an adductor strain IMO. And having to use crutches to get to class to a significant problem that should be addressed.
    I'm not really sure how you would tell if one leg felt longer than the other...I can't think of a time when I thought it might be. The reason it hurt while sitting was because it would spasm and swell; but since then, it's gotten much better and doesn't spasm so much...so sitting isn't quite as uncomfortable, but walking is still a bit challenging

Originally Posted by MnMBailey View Post
    I'm not really sure how you would tell if one leg felt longer than the other...I can't think of a time when I thought it might be. The reason it hurt while sitting was because it would spasm and swell; but since then, it's gotten much better and doesn't spasm so much...so sitting isn't quite as uncomfortable, but walking is still a bit challenging
    Some people just have increased kinesthetic awareness about their bodies and just have a "sense" that something is different.

Good luck with your situation.
    Physical Therapist

bump