Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

So you wanna be a fitness model?

Whats up guys!

My name is Jay. I am a published fitness model and MuscleTech athlete here to give you a little insight on the industry for those of you who desire a career in fitness modeling or even body building.

A little about myself:

I grew up in a small town. VERY small. My high school had a graduating class of 120 and we often found it difficult to fill our sports teams. I loved sports; I participated in as many as I could. Even at a small school I excelled in track, basketball, and football. I was always a very goal oriented and self motivate individual, which allowed me to use football as my gateway to college.

After playing in college, all of the hype was lost. I felt like I was tearing my body down for early retirement with little reward. SO.... I began to only focus on my studies. College flew by and before i Knew it I was 23 and needed a job. I applied for and accepted a job with a large insurance company in my city and worked as an underwriter.

Well there it was. I did it. I did what everyone told me I was supposed to do. Played football in high school and college, graduated college, and secured a decent-paying steady office job......and I was dying inside haha

-Why I turned to fitness modeling:

THIS is when I turned to fitness. Weight training became a hobby of mine and I wanted to achieve a physique most thought was impossible. There I am bringing my grocery bag full of prepped meals, my gallon jug of water, and vitamins to work every day. Things were getting serious.

I was getting big. I was getting shredded. I began to look like...well...a fitness model. And I knew this. Upon realizing that the office life was NOT for me (and I loved training, nutrition and reading books on stretching and biomechanics for fun) I reached out to a friend of my sisters who modeled for Hollister and many other awesome clothing companies.

I was looking good and feeling good. Until I spoke with his agent whom my sisters friend connected me with. "Yeah take a couple months and put some muscle on and get those abs back" he says to me. GET THEM BACK? I thought I was shredded! Turned out, NOT enough for the fitness industry.

I continued to work for another 6-8 months to sculpt my body into what this agency thought was the most marketable. I had to change my hair, bring up certain body parts and believe it or not bring DOWN certain body parts! (my traps).

-And it begins:

So here I am. I've got the physique. Signed with a huge agency. So NOW everyone will be throwing me money right? WRONG. Thats 25% of the battle. Now the work begins.

This is how the modeling industry works. You need to be ACCEPTED by a reputable agency first. They will accept you and bring you on if they believe you can make money for them. After all, this is a BUSINESS. You can be HUGE, shredded, baby face... whatever. If they don't think you fit the market these days you won't be accepted.

The pay? That varies tremendously. Unless you receive sponsorship you are not going to receive steady income. You get paid per job you do, and it usually is not for 45 days. Oh yeah, and your agent is taking a cut, obviously.

-The Lifestyle:

You can forget about eating all the junk food you love, because the day you show up to a casting or job out of shape, thats the day you kiss modeling goodbye.
    So everyday you're counting macros, calories and the like. You're eating egg whites for breakfast EVERY day. Lean meats and veggies for lunch and dinner, and you're keeping those carbs low.

If you don't, you're not going to be prepared. So if you don't mind eating chicken and broccoli every day then hey, this industry might be for you. But if you don't want to give up beer and ice cream then find another path.

You spend MOST of your time eating and training. Work comes and goes at random, so many models work part time, usually as a trainer.

So where do you live? Idaho? Well if you're going to pursue modeling you better expect to move to the big city, at least at first. You need to be there to drop into a casting at any notice if you're expected. Nobody can afford to drive or fly to every one, so you're going to need to move. Once you've booked some big gigs and made a name for yourself, then you do not need to live near the casting as much because companies will be coming to you. But at first, you're in an overpriced studio apartment in New York, LA, or Miami.

So now you're a rarity and you've made a name for yourself, booked some awesome ads for Under Armor, MuscleTech, AT&T... what have you. This is when the industry get rewarding. Sponsorship and endorsement, magazine spots, commercial... trust me it feels good when you can tell yourself you've done it.

So there you have it. All the glam and glitz aside, that is the fitness modeling industry. Its not all bright lights, magazine covers, and limosines at first. Like any job or career, you start from the BOTTOM.

But those of you who have the determination, desire and down right obsession... it can be done. Because I did it. Anyone can do it if you're willing to make some sacrifices and dedicate your life to your goal.

GOOD LUCK all of you on the road to this exciting career.

*** I offer online fitness coaching and nutrition guidance to any of you looking to TRANSFORM your body like I did***

Message me or email me at PrimoFitnessNY@gmail.com

Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cryptarchon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How much you pocket in the last year?
    5/3/1
    old avi stays until calves become big enough to be called cows

NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    strong last name for a fitness model lmffaoo

IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IDefineMyself is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good read, sounds like a hit or miss with this type of job lol

JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JPrimy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NutritionKing View Post
    strong last name for a fitness model lmffaoo
    What does my last name have to do with it?

Originally Posted by Cryptarchon View Post
    How much you pocket in the last year?
    Between sponsorship and shoots it was in the 6 figure range. BUT half the battle with that sort of earning is securing sponsorship. Which is done by securing a good social media following and having a marketable look.

Originally Posted by IDefineMyself View Post
    Good read, sounds like a hit or miss with this type of job lol
    It is a bit of a hit or miss. But I posted to this form to get some of the guess work out of the way. These are the things I did NOT know going Into the industry.

Ps: I did not include my last name intentionally. Very recognizable and I conceal it for privacy. It will be included in the MuscleTech ads this November when can be seen in FLEX, Muscle and Development, Muscle and Performance etc. If you're curious.

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good job man, and thanks for the information! Do you cheat at all?
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

Originally Posted by amar654 View Post
    Good job man, and thanks for the information! Do you cheat at all?
    Hey bud. Do you mean cheat meals? Of course. But for the reason if not allowing my body to adapt to such tedious nutrition. Your body will adjust and adapt to anything you do to it for a consistent amount of time. So having a day or two where I carb load or "chest" will keep my body's ability to utilize carbs and simple sugars

Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JPrimy View Post
    Hey bud. Do you mean cheat meals? Of course.
    Haha, nice dodge.

anyway, how would one find a reputable agency? I've been obsessed with becoming a fitness model ever since I saw the nice gains coming my way, I just have no idea where to start.
    forever switching between red and green crew

Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sounds horrific, all that food nazi'ing.

You mention having connections with MuscleTech. What about any other kinds of "tech" nomsaiyan?

BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000) BrandG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Ironface View Post
    Sounds horrific, all that food nazi'ing.
    This ^

Life is too short to not have Taco Bell once a week or so
    The best advice that I was ever given, was to give up.

(It fuarkin means people pushed me to try harder in order to disappoint them, you idiots.)

Check out my custom bobber:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166939011&p=1351087551#post1351087551

Originally Posted by Juiss View Post
    Haha, nice dodge.

anyway, how would one find a reputable agency? I've been obsessed with becoming a fitness model ever since I saw the nice gains coming my way, I just have no idea where to start.
    Here's the thing. If you guys wanna start thinking "gear" as your door into the fitness industry you've got a big wake up call coming. You all go to the gym. You know who's on, who's not. Ever notice how you see a lot if people "on" yet they don't look good?

That's because this "cheating" isn't why one looks good. 1- your genotype (genetics) is mostly responsible for your phenotype(body). 2-diet is 90 percent responsible for the expression of your best possible phenotype.

"Cheating" doesn't enhance ones ability to mobilize body fat. Or makes ones delts rounder, or give someone a 6 pack vs a 4 pack etc. Many professional bodybuilders will take this route simply to reach that "excessively muscular" level. Along with strict dieting, fantastic genetics, and completely dedication to their craft.

This is a whole other topic in its own but i just want to say since it's up, you can take anything and everything you can get your hands on but it won't turn you into an Olympia worthy body builder or put you on the cover of a magazine.

Are there a lot of models and bodybuilders taking enhancements? You bet. (Some models you can see gyno on, not naming any names) Are enhancements necessary to become a model or body builder? No
    If you take them will you look like Colin Wayne or lazar anglov? Hell no

But I'll let you guys know right off the bat what the industry knows and what not a lot of weight lifters and exercise enthusiasts know that your ability to mobilize or store body fat and produce new muscular tissue is very genetic-based. But with proper diet and diffidence exercise you can make YOUR body the best IT can be.

As for agencies... There are many. Elite, mega models, silver model management. You could be accepted by one or rejected by another. It's about timing. Timing with the agency and timing with the industry. You must apply. You could be rejected in December and accepted in September. It's about timing.

Oh ps:

Yes the diet part is difficult. But to some people it is worth it. That's where I start to say this industry may not be for everyone.

Just like maybe a contruction worker doesn't find it worth it to stand in the sun for 14 hours a day, even for a great paycheck.

Or a football player to play in the NFL for 6 years knowing he will probably have a difficult time walking for the rest of his life once he's retired.

To each their own my friends. To each their own

Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juiss will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As for agencies... There are many. Elite, mega models, silver model management. You could be accepted by one or rejected by another. It's about timing. Timing with the agency and timing with the industry. You must apply. You could be rejected in December and accepted in September. It's about timing.
    What about height requirements? Most agencies require you to be at least a high 6', I'm just one cm short of 5'11 (i'm 179cm) though my father is 6' so it'll probably fix itself in the future.
    Facial aesthetics? Do you require a certain look? I'm far from bad-looking but I have a mild case of baby face, and when I look at fitness model I rarely see one with a baby face (the only example I can think off is jeff seid).

CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Is it just my reading skills or did he dodge the question again?
    402/314/435-1151@213 w/ sleeves USPA

I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.
    -Philippians 4:13

Originally Posted by CWGame View Post
    He did but it's a stupid question, you don't ask a pro if they juice, if they do being honest would just damage their career.

Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    He did but it's a stupid question, you don't ask a pro if they juice, if they do being honest would just damage their career.
    Lmao

I answered the question perfectly. Why is it so important to you?

ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000) ejz69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    great physique, mirin

What about height requirements? Most agencies require you to be at least a high 6', I'm just one cm short of 5'11 (i'm 179cm) though my father is 6' so it'll probably fix itself in the future.
    Facial aesthetics? Do you require a certain look? I'm far from bad-looking but I have a mild case of baby face, and when I look at fitness model I rarely see one with a baby face (the only example I can think off is jeff seid).

6' is more of a requirement for fashion modeling. You can be as short as 5'9" in te fitness industry. I know that under armor requires at least 6 foot for ads but all companies are different. You need to have a "marketable" face. Usually a strong jaw, good symmetry. A "baby face" can be a very good thing as a matter of fact.

fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500) fsujoseph is not very helpful. (-500)
    Good job doing what you love man. Although the modeling industry is just what I expected; really tough. I've had people in the past encourage me to model based on facial aesthetics, but while I am good looking, there are a whole lot of others qualified for the job as well. You have to be one of the top guys to make it
    *Florida State crew*

**Ethering Kings Crew**

CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500)
    Srs? What did you expect him to say? "Yes I juice hurr durr fukk potentially losing my sponsorships and going broke, I want you all 2 noe tha truth!!!!!!!!"
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154949233

Guys my purpose of this thread is to help those interested in the industry.

One more thing to mention about this industry is you will encounter MANY haters.

People will always envy those who become successful and accomplish things that they were either too scared to attempt to accomplish or failed trying to accomplish it. Of course if you have a good physique and someone doesn't they will have to make an excuse for why you look better than they do or made it further than they did. I suppose it just human nature.

Many people will be happy for you and supportive during your journey. But like anything else you will encounter naysayers, haters, or people that are just plain jealous. Although difficult to deal with at first, you learn through your experience, And it is a very valuable tool to have for the rest of your life.

I am more than happy to answer any more serious questions about the industry.

But please, those of you who would rather sit behind the keyboard and talk crap rather than cleaning up your diet and hitting the gym, please refrain from nonsense posts.

Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Guys my purpose of this thread is to help those interested in the industry.

One more thing to mention about this industry is you will encounter MANY haters.

People will always envy those who become successful and accomplish things that they were either too scared to attempt to accomplish or failed trying to accomplish it. Of course if you have a good physique and someone doesn't they will have to make an excuse for why you look better than they do or made it further than they did. I suppose it just human nature.

Many people will be happy for you and supportive during your journey. But like anything else you will encounter naysayers, haters, or people that are just plain jealous. Although difficult to deal with at first, you learn through your experience, And it is a very valuable tool to have for the rest of your life.

I am more than happy to answer any more serious questions about the industry.

But please, those of you who would rather sit behind the keyboard and talk crap rather than cleaning up your diet and hitting the gym, please refrain from nonsense posts.
    How do u make it?

Originally Posted by CupcakeSquats View Post
    Srs? What did you expect him to say? "Yes I juice hurr durr fukk potentially losing my sponsorships and going broke, I want you all 2 noe tha truth!!!!!!!!"
    Thank you lol

Originally Posted by Jcishere94 View Post
    How do u make it?
    I'm sorry. Embellish. How do you make it in the industry you mean?

Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jcishere94 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I'm sorry. Embellish. How do you make it in the industry you mean?
    Yes

Originally Posted by fsujoseph View Post
    Good job doing what you love man. Although the modeling industry is just what I expected; really tough. I've had people in the past encourage me to model based on facial aesthetics, but while I am good looking, there are a whole lot of others qualified for the job as well. You have to be one of the top guys to make it
    As there are many many people attempting to enter the industry, what I've learned is you can MAKE yourself a top guy. The top fitness personalities don't necessarily have the best facial features, best aesthetics ect. They learn how to market and promote themselves to make a name for themselves in the fitness world. You must become "popular" to become one of the top fitness models. This is all under the control of the fitness model himself (all other obstacles or shortcomings aside of course).