OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000)

Can someone please explain 'Functional Lifting for Soccer'?

I have been playing soccer all my life more or less. I also really enjoy lifting and try to get in 3 sessions a week.

I have found that building muscle only slows me down - when the soccer season starts it takes a few months until I'm back to my best ad most agile.

I understand that you can lift in a way that actually allows you build strength/explosiveness while still being agile and quick on your feet, can someone please explain how this is done? I came across an article online that stated how the worlds top players lift for power.
    Go to buy some food and see someone i know so i leave the shop and go home and be hungry crew
    Talk to myself is different accents to make it seem like i am talking to another human crew
    Milk man delivers milk every day for 6 years to scared to tell him i don't drink milk crew
    Go to drive thru with prerecoreded message on cell phone to order food crew
    Walk past parents and siblings in the street pretend i don't know them crew
    Girls asks me for directions i pretend i am from France crew

ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorPatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well if you aren't conditioning/running in your off season whilw you're gaining weight, you're bound to slow down.
    As for explosive power and soccer, I have no clue

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get on a beginner program. SS is great. Keep practicing everyday and you will remain quick and agile
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000) OMARSCOMING is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by amar654 View Post
    Get on a beginner program. SS is great. Keep practicing everyday and you will remain quick and agile
    Do you think this would be beneficial?

I have tried it before but i didn't do it for very long.
    Go to buy some food and see someone i know so i leave the shop and go home and be hungry crew
    Talk to myself is different accents to make it seem like i am talking to another human crew
    Milk man delivers milk every day for 6 years to scared to tell him i don't drink milk crew
    Go to drive thru with prerecoreded message on cell phone to order food crew
    Walk past parents and siblings in the street pretend i don't know them crew
    Girls asks me for directions i pretend i am from France crew

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by OMARSCOMING View Post
    Do you think this would be beneficial?

I have tried it before but i didn't do it for very long.
    Yes, every sport needs strength and power, and soccer is no exception. The program will give you the power, and practice will give you the skill and the ability to learn how to use that power.
    "Once more into the fray
    Live and die on this day

timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10) timfreysc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Building muscle makes you slow because your training with slow rate of force development, you need to be power training or using plyometrics. Research it! A good way to think about off season training would be 4 weeks for hypertrophy, 4 weeks for strength, 4 weeks for power! lets the improved performance roll!!
    Strength & Conditioning Coach
    Masters in Exercise Science (Strength & Conditioning)
    D1

www.timfreysc.com
    www.********.com/timfreysc

If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending.
    Lift & Learn

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by timfreysc View Post
    Building muscle makes you slow because your training with slow rate of force development
    No, it doesn't. Not now. Not ever. Which is interesting because your advice after that is good.

BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BananaTree23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i think you should workout when season is over....cause if you start lifting mid season or whatever..your gonna be sore and your legs will be fatigue

Originally Posted by BananaTree23 View Post
    i think you should workout when season is over....cause if you start lifting mid season or whatever..your gonna be sore and your legs will be fatigue
    Lets all make a consensus, we dont listen to this idiot.
    "Once more into the fray
    Live and die on this day

4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4lefac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    During my practice we barely lift except if its pre season because during the season all we do is run, and practice our skills. Other than that when it comes to lifting we are on our own. So what i do is i just workout what ever body part i have to workout that day before practice starts. OK to build muscle and remain fast you have to be conditioning(for example: sprinting 100m 5 times 200m 5 times and 400m 5 times), and you have to lift explosively. For example, if your benching you will slowly go down, and then explode back up real fast, and you will do this for every rep. This helps build fast twitch fiber's. If your squatting you will slowly go down, and then explode back up and do that for every rep. You get what I'm saying? Also keep your BF% low.
    Last edited by 4lefac; 09-30-2014 at 04:48 PM.

blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    No, it doesn't. Not now. Not ever. Which is interesting because your advice after that is good.
    I respectfully disagree with you. Hence the dynamic effort method, if you train slower you not training your neural drive to get faster and thus the recruitment of muscle fibers will slow down. This is the point of lifts like the snatch or clean. This make periodization important, you need to spend time under tension to build muscle. The downside is grinding out reps. Then you move onto strength training to teach the CNS to recruit more muscle fibers. Finally, a power phase will develop the neural drive that allows an athlete to become more powerful and faster.
    "Hey ladies, hey gentlemen, hey everybody...One more time for the Greatest Team in America!!!!"- ERK RUSSELL
    I rep back.
    Got negged twice in one day for believing in God. Guess what? I still believe in God.
    >>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>
    CSCS by the NSCA

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by blitz042000 View Post
    I respectfully disagree with you. Hence the dynamic effort method, if you train slower you not training your neural drive to get faster and thus the recruitment of muscle fibers will slow down. This is the point of lifts like the snatch or clean. This make periodization important, you need to spend time under tension to build muscle. The downside is grinding out reps. Then you move onto strength training to teach the CNS to recruit more muscle fibers. Finally, a power phase will develop the neural drive that allows an athlete to become more powerful and faster.
    I think you are trying to bring something to the thread that is well outside the scope of what has been discussed. When you do that, you can disagree with just about anything and make a good point.

If you'd like to have a discussion at a more advanced level, I'd be happy to on another thread. I like sharing and learning. But that's not what this is.

The reality of the post I responded to is that it effectively makes two assertions. One is that building muscle makes you slow and the other is that hypertrophy training is necessarily non-accelerative. Neither of these is true and it is well demonstrated.

In terms of the points you've made, I don't necessarily disagree with anything. That's aside from the fact I use a different terminology and less strict interpretations.

As I said, if you would like to start a thread to discuss some more advanced concepts, please do.

bertabama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Focus on exercises that build lower body explosiveness eg. squats. Building lower body explosiveness with weight training will give you an edge that those who lift don't have.