Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
    NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks, guys..

Today's training:

Power Snatch on Blocks 5 reps to 60-kg

Front Squats 5-rep up to 120kg (5 RM PR)

This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Damn, you're body motion is so smooth, primo.

What's 120 kilos...like 235 pounds, right? Ballpark?
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm reading a bunch of stuff about Chinese methods. It reads a lot like I train intuitionally with a few tweaks. I think I'll integrate this.

If I'm reading it right, I'm seeing:

- squats three times per week alternating between back and front done for reps of 3 up the weight ladder until you can't do another triple then a couple extra doubles
    - Clean & Jerk and Squat alternating days
    - Lots of pull assistance as in clean pulls, and hang power snatches, etc.
    - a little bodybuilding work at the end of each training session
    - Eat a well rounded diet with lots of vegetables

Sound about right?
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Damn, you're body motion is so smooth, primo.

What's 120 kilos...like 235 pounds, right? Ballpark?
    264-lbs, primo. You suck at math.. i thought you were Asian?

I'm reading a bunch of stuff about Chinese methods. It reads a lot like I train intuitionally with a few tweaks. I think I'll integrate this.

If I'm reading it right, I'm seeing:

- squats three times per week alternating between back and front done for reps of 3 up the weight ladder until you can't do another triple then a couple extra doubles
    - Clean & Jerk and Squat alternating days
    - Lots of pull assistance as in clean pulls, and hang power snatches, etc.
    - a little bodybuilding work at the end of each training session
    - Eat a well rounded diet with lots of vegetables

Sound about right?
    I will respond in your journal because I have some vids for you for reference. Stay tuned.
    This above all..

Day 3, Week 5

Clean Blocks Triples 82.5

CL DL 3 x 10 110kg

This above all..

Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    264-lbs, primo. You suck at math.. i thought you were Asian?

My people are from western Pennsylvania, cousin...it's the Flips from eastern PA who got all the math skills. Our side of the islands only know how to cook.

Also, taxation is theft.

Hey, primo, I just wrote this little ode to WL in my journal and didn't want you to miss it.

1, 2 pull from the shoe
    3, 4 pull hard from the floor
    5, 6 Don't whack your dick
    7, 8 Arms up straight
    9, 10 Fully extend

Also, there are some new vids from today.

Also, taxation is theft.

Hey, primo, I just wrote this little ode to WL in my journal and didn't want you to miss it.

1, 2 pull from the shoe
    3, 4 pull hard from the floor
    5, 6 Don't whack your dick
    7, 8 Arms up straight
    9, 10 Fully extend

Also, there are some new vids from today.

Lol. Good one. You should patent it.

Week 6

Day 1

Some of this and some of that.

Set 3RM PR 82.5-kg push press

Day 2

More some of this and some of that.

Kate set a Power Clean & Jerk PR of 93-lbs after three attempts.

This above all..

Strong push presses! I like how soft you keep your knees on recovery. It's pretty hard to me to get the weight pressed out after cleaning it. So much easier to push from racking off the cage instead of power cleaning.

You're obviously a good coach. Your kids have good speed and obviously have someone to coax them out of their fear of putting heavy kilos overhead.

Also, taxation is theft.

Just doing the prep work! jjeane's Avatar
    jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Coming along nicely over here Joel!! You are such a good coach.
    Spoon Barbell Club

My Journal- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147722593

No person with dignity and a soul wants a hand out- they want to earn what they have. Jim Wendler

Set your bar high, be kind, and do more of what makes you stronger. Eleiko

Love over fear

Thanks for the kind words, gang.

One thing I try to keep in mind is to for me to meet the athlete where they are, so I could help them go where they want to go. Coaching is challenging but also fun because there is no cookie-cutter approach. Every lifter is different.

------------------------------------

Day 3, Week 6

This above all..

jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000) jjeane is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You are right. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses.
    My word that is alot of power cleans off blocks! Why the wide feet on the catch?
    Spoon Barbell Club

No person with dignity and a soul wants a hand out- they want to earn what they have. Jim Wendler

Love over fear

Originally Posted by jjeane View Post
    You are right. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses.
    My word that is alot of power cleans off blocks! Why the wide feet on the catch?
    Good eyes. I have no idea why my feet go that wide when I do the power lifts.. haha.. It's more of an artifact, rather than technique. My body just reacts to the power version differently. The main reason for the power, as you know, is to enforce that full second pull extension.. Charis has never mentioned anything about my wide feet, so I'm assuming it's no problem. Now, if I receive the full lifts with wide feet, then I got big problem..

Buddy is getting more and more comfortable receiving the bar low in the snatch.

Nicole is also getting more comfortable in the snatch. As the weight gets heavier on the cleans, Nicole has a habit of receiving the bar high in the power position. It's mental for her. Because she has some anxiety going low on heavy cleans, her natural reaction is to power the weight. Absolutely nothing wrong with power clean and jerk in competition, but she will reach the point of diminishing return by doing so.

I had to convince her that she could clean more if she received the bar low. So we did a drill where I had her do power clean & jerk, followed by full clean & jerk. The purpose is to convince her that with the same weight, she does not need to exert as much force; thus, she can lift more weight as long as she is mentally confident. It worked.

This above all..

Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    Good eyes. I have no idea why my feet go that wide when I do the power lifts.. haha.. It's more of an artifact, rather than technique. My body just reacts to the power version differently. The main reason for the power, as you know, is to enforce that full second pull extension.. Charis has never mentioned anything about my wide feet, so I'm assuming it's no problem. Now, if I receive the full lifts with wide feet, then I got big problem..
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. In fact it allows you to get lower I bet than if you caught it more narrow. I just know your receive is NOT that wide on your cleans. I just didn't know if it was something you were working on.

Look at them go!
    That is a great drill you used with Nicole!!
    Spoon Barbell Club

Love over fear

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. In fact it allows you to get lower I bet than if you caught it more narrow. I just know your receive is NOT that wide on your cleans. I just didn't know if it was something you were working on.

Look at them go!
    That is a great drill you used with Nicole!!
    Totally agree with you here. I've always thought that Joel's catch stance on both snatch and cleans were a bit narrow and that he could get lower and get down faster if he widened his catch stance just a little bit.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Thanks, gang.

I’m a short-femured Asian.. lol.. If I move my feet wider in the catch position I will hurt my knees.. When I started WLing, my set up position – especially the snatch – was actually a ‘frog stance’ where my heels were narrower than my hips.

My setup eventually evolved to where they are now. My snatch is basically a ‘no move feet’ style, because my initial stance on the snatch is a bit wider than my clean setup.

Yesterday’s training. Some of this and some of that.

This above all..

Nice shirt!
    Spoon Barbell Club

Love over fear

Nice shirt!
    One of my favorite lifting shirt!

Some of this and some of that.. Set front squat triples PR of 125-kg (275-lbs).

This above all..

Excellent FS triple there Joel! Awesome work!!
    Spoon Barbell Club

Love over fear

Excellent FS triple there Joel! Awesome work!!

Thanks, JJ.. Now the expectation of 125-kg C&J just went up.. LOL..

---------

Deload week..

This above all..

Day 2 of Deload Week

This above all..

Day 1
    Front squat 100 5x5
    Push press + jerk - 70kg 3x1+2
    Overhead press, 3-4 sets of 5-6 reps
    Barbell shrugs, 3 sets
    Back extensions, abs 3 sets

Day 2
    Back squats 117.5 5x5
    Clean + front squat - 70kg 3x2+1
    Clean pulls - 80kg 3x2, technical exercise
    Back extensions, abs 3 sets
    Rows, lat pulldowns 3 sets

This above all..

Looking good, primo. Very nice front squats.

How's the BB training addition treating you this far into it?

Also, taxation is theft.

Looking good, primo. Very nice front squats.

How's the BB training addition treating you this far into it?
    Thanks, man.

I like the bodybuilding portion of my routine.. One thing I noticed is that I am more in tuned with my movements. i can feel the muscles being trained. I think having a weightlifting background allowed me to be 'one' with myself. It's known that weightlifting increases proprioceptive skills, but I had no idea it would also help with simple isolation exercises like the bicep curls.

------------------

Playing catch up from Week 1 Day 3 Saturday

-----------------

Week 2 Day 1 Today

Front Squat - 107.5 4 x 5
    Push Press + 2 Jerks 75 3 sets
    OHP 105-lbs 3 x 5

Shrug, back extension and abs 3 x 10

This above all..

Day 2 Week 2

Squats 4 x 5 – 275lbs
    Power Clean + Power Clean + Front Squats – 3 sets 80 kgs
    Clean Pulls 3 doubles 85kg

Bodybuilding – Rows, Pulldowns, Lower back, abs 3 x 10

This above all..

Day 3 Week 2

Snatch Triples + OHS Complex 3 sets 135-lbs
    Snatch Pulls 3 x 2 185-lbs
    Warmed up to 3 sets of clean + push press triples 185-lbs.. Had to cheat on last rep by jerking it.

This above all..

Some of this and some of that..

Day 1 Week 3

This above all..

Catch Up

Nicole and Kate. Kate 5 lbs away from 100-lbs C&J

Day 2 of Week 3

Day 3 of Week 3

Buddy’s finally developing the confidence to go down fast.

This above all..

BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good for Buddy, I swear that mental block is a killer.

Do people look at you funny when you squat with your back to the rack? Makes sense, especially in that rack. I've just never seen anyone do it that way.

**I once was a fat little hippo... BubsNBean's journey back to healthy**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170112133

Thanks, Bubz..

Yeah, I made a few adjustment on Buddy’s cuing and training. I had him do lots of band and PVC drills. I also gave him a cue that I thought would work for him..

Good question on people looking at me funny.. The regulars understand the reason I face away from the mirrors when squatting because they see me in the same direction when snatching and cleaning. The “once a month” members look at me funny because they wonder why I’m slamming weights on their curling rack.. lol..

-----------------------------------
    Set 5RM PR of 122kg (269-lbs)

This above all..