BJWCH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Swiss bar for bench, bent over rows

Quick question on these barbells that place less strain on shoulders.
    I have had shoulder work done, but am cleared to lift.
    If i do a starting strength or all pro with it?

I am wondering if there is any disadvantage to these "shoulder sparing" bars.

thanks.

I just don't want to re-injure, and this was recommended by a trainer.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BJWCH View Post

thanks.

I find I am not quite as strong with the swiss bar on the bench press, and don't feel it a whole lot in my pecs afterwards. Plenty in the triceps though.

Not everyone likes the feel of a swiss bar. Try it out for yourself, assuming you can, and see if you like it. I hate it for doing rows but that is entirely personal preference. Many people love it for rows.

m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

thanks.

I'm using Swiss bar for the same reason, works your chest and triceps with minimal shoulder involvement, I also recommend you using it instead of a straight bar. You can use normal bar for decline bench, u can also use dumbbells for flat bench. To avoid injury warm up your front delts with light weights before your chest work out, and don't start heavy.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love my swiss bar. Bench, overhead, rows, shrugs, front raises, hammer curls, chins (put it over the top of a rack), overhead tricep presses.

BJWCH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Will it impede chest progress for bench?
    I guess my question is this:
    compared to a straight bar, what will it develop, and what will it under develop?
    Does it activate pecs the same as a straight bar for bench press?

Thanks so much.

ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Will it impede chest progress for bench?
    I guess my question is this:
    compared to a straight bar, what will it develop, and what will it under develop?
    Does it activate pecs the same as a straight bar for bench press?

Thanks so much.
    there is great variation in how people respond muscle-wise to regular straight barbells, so the same will be true with other kinds. some people will get better pec development, some not so much. it's the kind of thing that you really have to try for 6 months or so and find out.