Baggie1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Started going to the gym on my own , Can't lift as much

Hey everyone

My first time posting on here , been dwelling about on the forums for a few months. Over the past 80 days or so I've turned my life around and started exercising twice a day , cardio in the morning then going to the gym with a buddy in the afternoon. We've both seen great results but know we both go back to our different uni's. I went to the gym for the first time on my own today and was finding that I couldn't lift nearly as much as I could without my friend spotting or helping me get the first rep up. Any tips as I'm starting too feel like I'm back to square 1

Thanks

Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Matsushime is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Baggie1994 View Post
    Hey everyone

My first time posting on here , been dwelling about on the forums for a few months. Over the past 80 days or so I've turned my life around and started exercising twice a day , cardio in the morning then going to the gym with a buddy in the afternoon. We've both seen great results but know we both go back to our different uni's. I went to the gym for the first time on my own today and was finding that I couldn't lift nearly as much as I could without my friend spotting or helping me get the first rep up. Any tips as I'm starting too feel like I'm back to square 1

Thanks
    It's psychological. Once you get into the rhythm of lifting by yourself it'll come back to you. Is it bench-press or any other barbell lift that you're doing? If so, try dumbbells and get used to being able to bail without getting stuck. If you're comfortable with it, your confidence should go up and you'll possibly lift more weight.

In your situation, do you think it could be from a lack of confidence or a "security" issue? Perhaps you view a spotter as a "coach" type figure and you want do your best in front of them?

I know that when I have a spotter, I would intentionally lift more because I knew that if I made a mistake I'd have help.

GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GuinnessPower is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It is all about the fear of failing my friend and lack of confidence and belief. Start of with a weight you are comfortable with and slowly build up the weight and you will be lifting heavy in no time. I know when I have a spotter with me I would get some personal bests, I wouldn't attempt them without one.

So start off slow and work your way up, hope I made sense. Welcome to the forum anyway.
    Motherboard Replacement Crew
    Levi Jean Workout Crew
    Bulking On Veg Crew

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everytime you workout you win and are one step closer to your dreams. I'd definitely not go as hard without a personal trainer as I do with one.

Baggie1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Definitely given me some more motivation and tips I will use!