Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Coach trying to force new routine on me??

Hi guys. I dont do crossfit, however.. i train at a crossfit facility. I just use the open gym and do my own thing! However recently i was telling the coach there that i maybe i needed to focus more on strength and change my routine! as i had been training for hypertrophy but finding it difficult to get stronger (which i reckon is down to me cutting for so long)

Anyway i had considered doing starting strength as its for beginners and given that my lifts are poor (Squat 220lbs, Bench 165lbs, Oh press 105lbs, and deadlift 300lbs) Iam assuming iam well and truely a beginner? I weigh 189lbs so i consider those lifts poor for my weight!

However this guy is running a program soon that is very similar to the texas method and is convincing me i need to give this a go? Where as to me it seems a bit too aggressive for a beginner! I said to him "would it not be best i do starting strength and save a 5x5 workout until i stall" and his reply was "Nobody makes gainz by tip toeing around, just get stuck in, this program will build serious mass and strength"

In a nutshell, Is he right? Is a 5x5 workout a good choice for me given my current lifts? I have seen the texas method template and what i would be doing is virtually identical to the texas method!

Iam just concerned because i feel i have been talked into doing this routine and iam not so sure its right for me

FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To give a better answer, you would have to post his routine. Specifically the volume/intensity and the rate of progression.

IMO with those lifts you may be able to do a full body 3x a week with workout to work out weight increases briefly (like SS) starting at reduced intensity and ramping up again, but your also not a beginner so may stall quickly on that. So a program with weekly increases may be better. My 2 cents.

Edit: By saying your not a beginner i mean you are not a complete noob as such... You probably are still somewhat a beginner/novice, but I think these terms are stupid/meaningless either way. Find a program which allows you to make linear progression at the most aggressive rate your recovery can handle...

Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mysterion27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It seems that it is in fact the texas method, Just spotted it wrote in the corner ha Iam not fully sure how to read this but heres a template of what i will be doing (note that the weight listed is not the weight ill be using)
    Attached Images

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Much as I don't like being told what to do (especially when I'm paying for the privilege), Texas Method is a good routine and you'll probably do well on it although could probably make slightly faster progress on SS. At least you won't have to eat as much to keep up with the slower progression.

Of course the coach is talking out his ass if he thinks SS is easy.

FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FarmerBrain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have never ran texas, it may be a bit slow (the rate of weight increases) since your only adding
    -Bench 2.5/week
    -Squat & Deadlift 5lbs/week

You may be able to run it with weekly weight increase of double those numbers for a short period. Then again, if you run it as is, in ~6 months time you should be benching 50lbs more and squatting/deadlifting 100lbs more which is a huge increase. You would probably be best to run it as is.

Iam almost certain he said i could expect to add 10kg per week although maybe i misheard and he said 10lbs? 10kg a week sounds ridiculous! Although the attachment i included shows only 5lb increases right?? Could swear he said 10!! Iam just slightly worried about recovery as iam jumping from performing 2 sets of 8-12 reps to 5x5!! Although i imagine the extra volume and lower reps should def help me get stronger and add some mass?

5x5 would be 25 working weight sets. You doing 2 sets of 8-12 is 16-24 working sets. Almost the same volume. 5x5 (especially the weights you are lifting, no offence) should be no issue for recovery.

As for the weight you add to the bar, it is going to vary based on the lift (deadlift>squats>bench>OHP). Like i said you could add 10 to your lower body lifts, and 5 to your upper weekly. Just realize you will stall quicker (especially OHP), and will have to reset and at that point probably half those weekly increases.

Originally Posted by FarmerBrain View Post
    5x5 would be 25 working weight sets. You doing 2 sets of 8-12 is 16-24 working sets. Almost the same volume. 5x5 (especially the weights you are lifting, no offence) should be no issue for recovery.

As for the weight you add to the bar, it is going to vary based on the lift (deadlift>squats>bench>OHP). Like i said you could add 10 to your lower body lifts, and 5 to your upper weekly. Just realize you will stall quicker (especially OHP), and will have to reset and at that point probably half those weekly increases.
    I think this program is only being run for a short period of time so iam guessing he intends for everyone to progress fast and inevitably change things up before everyone stalls!Hopefully your right too and recovery wont be an issue

Has anyone here ever done the texas method by the way .... as a novice/beginner?

Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kedoren will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You have to remember that your coach probably has a college degree in his field, and he knows you better than we do. Also, you have no idea what any of our qualifications are and we don't know enough about you to make as informed of a decision. I would say if you trust your coach, trust him. Listen to him and do what he says. If you don't, find someone else to take that role. The routine he has for you looks decent to me.
    Most recent 1RM / 5RM

Bench press: 315 / 260
    Squat: 405 / 350
    Deadlift: 525 / 485