Deziyou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Transitioning from Corporate World to Personal Training...

Has anyone done this? I work in the oil and gas industry where there is a lot of potential to earn great money, however, I feel like the corporate environment is sucking the life out of me. I hate the idea of sitting at a desk all day know how bad it is for my body and I want to be able to move around more and talk to people. At my job, you pretty much keep your nose in your computer and get your job done, there is quite a bit of stress and I just don't have much motivation for it anymore. I am constantly wanting to look up more information relating to health and fitness. My husband and I have kicked around the idea of opening a supplement shop in our hometown of about 22,000 (there is currently 1 GNC that seems to do well), but I thought even if we did that, having the supplemental income of personal training until we start seeing a profit on that would be wise. I would prefer happiness over more money, but I still have to pay the bills.

Has anyone left a well-paying corporate career for PT?

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have not. I've set up everything in my life to make me a better trainer and dietitian. However, I'll give you my 2 cents:

Start small and keep your job. Work with clients on the weekends and get a feel for it.
    Hire a trainer and work with them. Do what you believe in.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good advice above ^^^.
    Start small and work up.
    Its a tough business and you have to be as much a salesman as a trainer.
    You will probably end up working more hours than you are now and at many different times during the day.
    Lots to consider here.
    But if it's your passion i would say go for it but don't quit your job as of yet.
    As far as the selling nutrition,if you can be cheaper than GNC and get the word out you might have something there.

MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As previous posters have mentioned start doing it part time.
    You'll know fairly quickly if its something you really want to pursue. When you're waking up at 4:30 a.m. (some days) it has to be about something more than just money.
    I would also suggest trying different types of training (1 on 1, group, older, younger ppl) and venues (big box, boutique gyms, in clients homes) and over time perhaps you'll get a clearer picture of where your strengths lie.
    Last edited by MkADcision; 09-05-2014 at 01:27 PM.