Booker01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting strongman training but need alot of advice.

So years ago i was into bodybuilding and i did a show but when all was said and done i wasnt having fun keeping to a super strict diet all the time. This time around i decided I want to have fun with it and start doing competition. I have been reading and trying to start the exercises. I have a tire, sledgehammer, atlas ball, the Coc grippers, and im ordering farmers bars. I also go to the gym 4 times a week and do a normal gym workout. Just seeing what to do to exercise and make gains. I also do know that i can not compete for another couple years cause im not ready. Thank You

bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can write volumes on training theories, applications, networking, competition, gear, implements, rehab modalities, and thousands of other factors that are second nature for almost all competitive strongmen. Starting vague threads will almost never provide a helpful reply, especially when you can use the search function and learn almost everything you need to learn.

Most basic advice:
    -Get stronger in the gym, apply those adaptations on the events.
    -Technique is key. You can learn how to lift any implement with a 10 second youtube trip.
    -You're not a strongman unless you compete. Go to nastrongman.com and find an event. You might have to travel, but the experience is worthwhile.
    -You're probably not going to blow the crowd away at your first contest. Treat it like a learning experience so you don't have to constantly ask questions.
    -Most important: Don't overburden other people you meet in the sport with your stress or stupid anxieties. It's an amazing sport with almost a new contest every time you compete. This should be an exciting time with lots of stressors, but if you let the butterflies get to you then you won't do well on the podium or in the eyes of other competitors.
    Excuses are just tools of incompetence
    Used to build monuments of nothingness
    And those who specialize in the uses
    Seldom achieve anything

Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There was another thread like this just a few days ago.
    From what I remember, the general consensus was to focus on getting your squat, deadlift and overhead press numbers up in the gym and add a day of training for the disciplines.

Best thing would be to find an experienced strongman to train with and learn from.

NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If only there was a website called startingstrongman...
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthStrongSC

Main Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155303583

After seeing a hard workout you may want to complain and want others to pity you for the work you have to do. Your mom will pity you. Your girl will pity you. I may pity you, but your competition will not pity you. They will step on you, walk over you and spit on you. � Boris Sheiko

bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Einzelhaft View Post
    There was another thread like this just a few days ago.
    From what I remember, the general consensus was to focus on getting your squat, deadlift and overhead press numbers up in the gym and add a day of training for the disciplines.

Best thing would be to find an experienced strongman to train with and learn from.
    Let's go ahead and get this out of the way...

How strong is strong enough?
    If your fingers can fill out an entry form then you're good to go. The time to start worrying about strength is when the word "Nationals" starts to become a part of your vocabulary. Once again, that probably won't happen your first try.
    Seldom achieve anything

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NorthStrong View Post
    If only there was a website called startingstrongman...

In addition to that website there is a wealth of information available via various other online resources, and training crews / gyms with implements in most areas now with the growth of the sport in conjunction with Crossfit.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Einzelhaft will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bigfor15 View Post
    Let's go ahead and get this out of the way...

How strong is strong enough?
    If your fingers can fill out an entry form then you're good to go. The time to start worrying about strength is when the word "Nationals" starts to become a part of your vocabulary. Once again, that probably won't happen your first try.
    Since you quoted me, I think you misunderstood my post. I just wanted to give a general suggestion how his training could look like. I didn't say he shouldn't compete or anything.

Originally Posted by Einzelhaft View Post
    Since you quoted me, I think you misunderstood my post. I just wanted to give a general suggestion how his training could look like. I didn't say he shouldn't compete or anything.
    I quoted what you said to lead into what noobies most often ask next. I saved you from posting three paragraphs.
    Seldom achieve anything

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Why wait two years? I did my first competition after 6 weeks of training.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009