Thread: Barbell?

Nehalennia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell?

Just wondering what type of barbell to get as far as female or male? I feel like the female one will be nice to grip and a little easier to get started with since its a bit lighter, but since there is a smaller selection it will cost me a bit more too. What do you all think? Does it even really matter? Thanks.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are no "male" and "female" barbells. There are barbells that are of differing lengths and weights, but that does not make them particular to one gender over another.

And its this kind of thinking that makes the weights section a "male" section......

It doesnt matter in the end. Go by which ever is most comfortable. When in the rack i tend to use the 7ft olympic bar as that is what fits my rack better and is safer. For doing deadlifts I find it easier to work with the 5ft bar but other people may find the 7 ft bar easier to deal with. The 5ft bar is 10 pounds lighter but that doesnt make it a "female" bar. It didnt cost me any more than the regular 7ft did....
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    There are no "male" and "female" barbells.
    Lol'd so hard, thinking of how the whole male and female electrical connector thing works.

OP get a regular 7ft barbell. If you start messing with those specialty womens barbells you're probably going to have a hard time finding a power rack for that to fit with.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I did not know that barbells had testicles and ovaries!?!?!?! HEHEHE Totally jk jk. Get a standard bar. I would think it would be a PITA to find corresponding items to use with it.
    Can't isn't in my vocab.

Calf press: 115
    Squats: 135
    Deads: 185
    SLDL: 125
    Overhead press: 60
    Bicep curls: 40
    Bench: 75

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Lol'd so hard, thinking of how the whole male and female electrical connector thing works.

OP get a regular 7ft barbell. If you start messing with those specialty womens barbells you're probably going to have a hard time finding a power rack for that to fit with.
    Originally Posted by TorreTornado View Post
    I did not know that barbells had testicles and ovaries!?!?!?! HEHEHE Totally jk jk. Get a standard bar. I would think it would be a PITA to find corresponding items to use with it.
    Yup, no point in having a "specialty" bar except to make the manufacturer more money by selling specialty accesories to fit it. My 5 ft bar doesnt fit well on my rack, i can make it work, but its not the best idea.

And why do we even need 'specialty' bars anyways??? 45 pounds is 45 pounds no matter how you slice it, if you cant lift the bar then go with dumbbells, cable system or bands, it will help more anyways than buying some high priced bar that you dont need.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Would feel like a giant with those skinny little womens bars, srs, the regular one is actually perfect for me but I've heard those women's ones are much thinner. Might be helpful for the few who legit have tiny midget hands. Would throw my maths off and I'd also be compelled to scatter little plastic army men on the floor as I DL to complete that "I am Godzilla" feeling.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TorreTornado is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    would feel like a giant with those skinny little womens bars, srs, the regular one is actually perfect for me but i've heard those women's ones are much thinner. Might be helpful for the few who legit have tiny midget hands. Would throw my maths off and i'd also be compelled to scatter little plastic army men on the floor as i dl to complete that "i am godzilla" feeling.
    bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha omfactualg
    Can't isn't in my vocab.

Calf press: 115
    Squats: 135
    Deads: 185
    SLDL: 125
    Overhead press: 60
    Bicep curls: 40
    Bench: 75

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Would feel like a giant with those skinny little womens bars, srs, the regular one is actually perfect for me but I've heard those women's ones are much thinner. Might be helpful for the few who legit have tiny midget hands. Would throw my maths off and I'd also be compelled to scatter little plastic army men on the floor as I DL to complete that "I am Godzilla" feeling.
    I hate the women's bar. Granted, it being thinner does probably make it easier to grip and if I trained w/ it long enough might yield some appreciable benefits over time but since few gyms I encounter even have one and I can't compete w/ one, it makes no sense to train with one.

OP, if you've tried out the smaller bar and find it preferable, than by all means go ahead and order it. Otherwise, nothing wrong with training with a standard barbell.

I have tiny midget hands, really. I still buy my gloves in the little kids section, srs. My favorites are my cute lil winnie the pooh ones. Still train with regular bars just fine
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

Nehalennia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the quick (and funny) replies! Guess I'll go for the regular bar and stick with dumbbells for the exercises I can't use the bar yet for. Thanks!

Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just to give the other side, there are good uses for the "female" or 15kg (33lb) bars. In Olympic weightlifting, all females in competition use the 15kg bars, not because they're lighter, but because they're thinner. It's awfully hard to keep your hands on a 200lb snatch ripping up your body when you can't get a solid wrap-around hookgrip on the bar.

Anyhoo, as long as you're not planning on doing any Olympic lifts, a standard 20kg barbell will more than suit your needs. It's also used in powerlifting competitions for both genders, if you're at all inclined to go in that direction. Happy lifting!
    46kg snatch | 62kg c&j
    205lb bsqt | 171lb fsqt

What is bench.

MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I didn't know there were female bars? Are they pink? My gym only has olympic bars, (and a couple of EZ bara) had no choice but to use them from the beginning!
    Bench press: current 65kg, goal 70kg
    Squat: current 75kg, goal 90kg
    Deadlift: current 100kg, goal 120kg

Natural Physique Assoc. (UK) figure 2014, 2nd place.

Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Michelle_Rose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MadCatLady View Post
    I didn't know there were female bars? Are they pink? My gym only has olympic bars, (and a couple of EZ bara) had no choice but to use them from the beginning!
    You can find them in "military olive", so I guess pink is possible.

I have mini hands, so 15kg bars are great for snatch, clean and jerk and press. But I use big manly bars for squat and deadlift (with lots of chalk, even more manly)
    Yeah... I guess I should join the Over 35 Forum now, right ?

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are no "male" and "female" barbells. There are barbells that are of differing lengths and weights, but that does not make them particular to one gender over another.
    I have tiny midget hands, really. I still buy my gloves in the little kids section, srs. My favorites are my cute lil winnie the pooh ones. Still train with regular bars just fine
    Like the below posts said, the women's bar does serve a purpose for competitive Olympic weightlifters and Olympic weightlifting in general. Granted, we could remove the gender-specific language and call it the 15kg bar and the 20kg bar, but since in practice one is women-specific in competition and one is men-specific in competition (regardless of hand size or preference, I'm assuming) than it makes sense to refer to them as such.

For gym rats, the standard "men's" bar is perfectly fine. Most folks do not even have an option for otherwise. And powerlifters regardless of gender must use the 20kg bar anyway.

But there's also nothing explicitly wrong w/ OP wanting to purchase a 15kg bar - as long as she adjusts her math accordingly . Specialty bars (SSB, buffalo bar, cambered bar, swiss bar) can have their place. The point being that 45lbs isn't 45lbs anyway you slice it; bar width, where the weight sits/hangs relative to one's center, these things can make for an appreciable difference in how the weight feels.

Originally Posted by Worcestershire View Post
    Just to give the other side, there are good uses for the "female" or 15kg (33lb) bars. In Olympic weightlifting, all females in competition use the 15kg bars, not because they're lighter, but because they're thinner. It's awfully hard to keep your hands on a 200lb snatch ripping up your body when you can't get a solid wrap-around hookgrip on the bar.

Anyhoo, as long as you're not planning on doing any Olympic lifts, a standard 20kg barbell will more than suit your needs. It's also used in powerlifting competitions for both genders, if you're at all inclined to go in that direction. Happy lifting!
    Originally Posted by Michelle_Rose View Post
    You can find them in "military olive", so I guess pink is possible.

I have mini hands, so 15kg bars are great for snatch, clean and jerk and press. But I use big manly bars for squat and deadlift (with lots of chalk, even more manly)
    Last edited by illiniStrive; 09-02-2014 at 05:43 AM.