Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

did it. joined the RC injury crew. Advice please

Hey guys,

I'm sure there are millions of threads like this. I just want advice on my specific situation though please.

3 or so months ago I started getting discomfort in my left shoulder. I am almost positive it is due to incorrect db incline form. Anyways the pain started and I went to go see the doctor, after an MRi i was told it was tendinitis and to stay off it and rest for a week or so. I did it and went back into the gym, after a little while it started hurting again like before and I returned to the doctor. This time he gave me cortisone shot. I am still feeling pain however two weeks after the shot so I have decided to take several weeks off and just take anti inflammatory pills (advil) and rest.

So my questions are:
    1) I want to use a pvc pipe to do shoulder exercises and whatnot with, is that ok? Or would it aggravate the inflammation? My doctor was pretty useless when I asked him this.
    2) When I return to lifting, what should i do in terms of programs? Do I have to restart from the beginning with SL 5x5 (assuming this takes months to heal) or can I continue where I left off which was:
    mon - back/tri
    tues- off
    wed - chest/bi
    thurs - legs
    friday - shoulder/more chest.
    3) also im currently cutting and was wondering what I could do to reduce muscle loss during this time off? I am going to be doing cardio and stretching everyday.

thank you

PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PVSSY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Energyy View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm sure there are millions of threads like this. I just want advice on my specific situation though please.

3 or so months ago I started getting discomfort in my left shoulder. I am almost positive it is due to incorrect db incline form. Anyways the pain started and I went to go see the doctor, after an MRi i was told it was tendinitis and to stay off it and rest for a week or so. I did it and went back into the gym, after a little while it started hurting again like before and I returned to the doctor. This time he gave me cortisone shot. I am still feeling pain however two weeks after the shot so I have decided to take several weeks off and just take anti inflammatory pills (advil) and rest.

So my questions are:
    1) I want to use a pvc pipe to do shoulder exercises and whatnot with, is that ok? Or would it aggravate the inflammation? My doctor was pretty useless when I asked him this.
    2) When I return to lifting, what should i do in terms of programs? Do I have to restart from the beginning with SL 5x5 (assuming this takes months to heal) or can I continue where I left off which was:
    mon - back/tri
    tues- off
    wed - chest/bi
    thurs - legs
    friday - shoulder/more chest.
    3) also im currently cutting and was wondering what I could do to reduce muscle loss during this time off? I am going to be doing cardio and stretching everyday.

thank you
    Hey man. I've had shoulder problems. You want to stretch your pecs and lats daily. Foam roll the pecs, lats, thoracic spine and do thoracic extensions on the foam roller. Do self myofascial release on the infraspinatus with a tennis or lacrosse ball. As for workout I would do an Upper and Lower split. Avoid what hurts. Do a pull to push ratio of 2 or 3 to 1. Use neutral grip and or dumbbells. Do shoulder dislocates and band pull aparts as part of your warm up. I would recommend dislocates every day or most days as well. Do side-lying external rotations and reverse flies 3x12 after each workout. Reevaluate your form, check your posture. Good luck man, you will recover quickly if you do it right.
    Last edited by PVSSY; 08-29-2014 at 12:39 PM.

unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your routine looks unbalanced. It's not surprising that you would end up with shoulder issues when your split has 2 push heavy days (depending on how your chest/shoulder day is setup, but it is probably mostly push) and 1 pull heavy day. The ratio, at least in total volume, should be reversed; you should have 1.5-2x as much pulling as pushing volume for a balanced program.
    My log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166030441

Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PVSSY View Post
    Hey man. I've had shoulder problems. You want to stretch your pecs and lats daily. Foam roll the pecs, lats, thoracic spine and do thoracic extensions on the foam roller. Do self myofascial release on the infraspinatus with a tennis or lacrosse ball. As for workout I would do an Upper and Lower split. Avoid what hurts. Do a pull to push ratio of 2 or 3 to 1. Use neutral grip and or dumbbells. Do shoulder dislocates and band pull aparts as part of your warm up. I would recommend dislocates every day or most days as well. Do side-lying external rotations and reverse flies 3x12 after each workout. Reevaluate your form, check your posture. Good luck man, you will recover quickly if you do it right.
    you are probably right, this injury came from the switch to new program. I havent done friday shoulder/chest day in a long time because of the pain.
    the shoulder/chest day was

ohp press - 3x5
    side lateral 3x8
    face pulls - 3x8
    bench press (about 70% of mondays) 4x5

and thats it.

Originally Posted by PVSSY View Post
    Thanks a lot for your post man. Right now, i am not going to use any weights I dont think for my shoulder. Just work on mobility and form. Hopefully will come back stronger.