drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Why shoulder blades back can hurt you

No hate to Dave Tate, but his technique for benching wrecked my shoulders. There's a critical detail about shoulder blades back that warrants explanation but is left out of his videos (any how to bench video really) is that shoulder blades back can actually exacerbate shoulder woes from benching. In my case blades back led to even more anterior tilt (forward tilt). The detail I'd like to share that I wish I'd known from the get go is you need posterior tilt to bench pain free. To me I'm working hard on this now on my quest for 3 plates. Hopefully it'll help some of you.

B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    hhmm..I actually feel retracting the scaps takes the shoulders out of the question. When you say "anterior tilt" are you pushing the bar down when actually benching?

And go to see your are still kicking butt dru!
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    hhmm..I actually feel retracting the scaps takes the shoulders out of the question. When you say "anterior tilt" are you pushing the bar down when actually benching?

And go to see your are still kicking butt dru!
    Because of poor posture, when I pulled back the tops of my blades tilted forward. Shoulder blades should be pulled back but lower trap and seratus should be strong enough to keep the top of the blades tilted rearward not forward . I didn't know that and just merrily went on wrecking myself.

Where you been?

angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have been fighting impingement for a long time and really didnt become educated about it until I completed ruptured my bicep long head and had to have surgery to reattach. Needless to say it was an experience I didnt want to repeat in my other shoulder.

I really found the best thing to balance my shoulders were lots of pulls, both vertical and horizontal, mixed in with some reverse flys. The ratio of 2:1 pulls to presses is key for my anatomy and I wished I would of discovered this 20+ years ago.

Combine this with lots of stretching of my pecs and shoulders have done wonders to benching safely.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by angrypenguin54 View Post

I really found the best thing to balance my shoulders were lots of pulls, both vertical and horizontal, mixed in with some reverse flys. The ratio of 2:1 pulls to presses is key for my anatomy and I wished I would of discovered this 20+ years ago.
    ^^ This for sure. Dru, you mentioned before that you did scarcely any pulling exercises. My guess is that affected your shoulders more than anything. Retracting your shoulder blades helps keep your shoulder stable during the bench press and puts it in a mechanically advantaged position.

I too had shoulder problems years ago by not creating a proper push/pull balance. Once I corrected that, my shoulders were immensely better. It might work for you too.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by angrypenguin54 View Post
    I have been fighting impingement for a long time and really didnt become educated about it until I completed ruptured my bicep long head and had to have surgery to reattach. Needless to say it was an experience I didnt want to repeat in my other shoulder.

Combine this with lots of stretching of my pecs and shoulders have done wonders to benching safely.
    Excellent info! I also had the same exact procedure done recently and plan to continue pulling more than pushing. Years of lousy conditioning combined with poor posture and poor form in the gym definitely contributed to my crappy shoulders. Would rather pull any day now...
    Well meaning, elderly man with a poor memory...pause

PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10) PrivateFreedom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I found that avoiding flat bb bench has prevented and shoulder injuries/pain, for me anyway. I stick mostly with Inc BB, DB, Hammer, and Dips.
    "They have given so much...for our freedom, our liberty, our very way of life in this great country. This is my way of giving some back."

---Private Freedom

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Because of poor posture, when I pulled back the tops of my blades tilted forward. Shoulder blades should be pulled back but lower trap and seratus should be strong enough to keep the top of the blades tilted rearward not forward . I didn't know that and just merrily went on wrecking myself.

Where you been?
    That's interesting. I can't even force anterior tilt in my shoulders from retracting my scapula, they just go back.

In the video it shows "winging" which is what mine do. I'm now trying to feel like I'm digging the bottom of my shoulder blades into my back on every pull. I've been doing gobs of various pulls, just it'll take a while to offset years of push heavy routines.

I had to google pull the bar down and that's something I've definitely never done. I think learning that will help.

Thanks all for the tips.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post

Where you been?
    OK...

I was banned for awhile and just recently got back to lifting. Another knee surgery and work has been crazy (firing the department will do that)...

BTW, I have had good shoulder health...I credited that to facepulls and a massive amount of very heavy bent over rows. I do my rows a little more upright than others (not a an upright row) which work my upper back and traps more than the actual lats. Helps me stabilize my shoulders and my bench.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

Just wanted to say, did bench for the first time in months today, and thanks to really pulling shoulder blades into back and the pulling it down technique, it was pain free. I pushed it heavy for me and I didn't hurt then, or even now as I write this. I don't remember the last time I did over 2 plates pain-free. Thanks everyone.