KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Trying to improve my bench press

Hello powerlifters. I am working on improving my bench press and was wondering if you guys could throw out some suggestions. In the video I am doing 255x5, and since June, I have only added 5 pounds to that so I am benching 260x5 now. When I started lifting 7 years ago, I was benching 135 x 5. Progress has been pretty slow in the last few years though, with me gaining only 20 pounds on bench in the last couple of years.

I have to admit that I have done some pretty long cuts in that time period, and each time I lost weight, I lost strength as well. I started really getting stronger about a year ago when I started doing paused reps, but my progress is slowing down again. My goal is to get up to a 315 pound bench press.

Bench Press

I appreciate any help.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Your legs are all loose and wiggly. Read up on leg drive in the bench press and watch some videos.

Stop cutting.
    ---Likes front squats more than back squats crew---
    ---Likes overhead press more than bench press crew---
    ---Can't argue with deadlifts crew---

ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000)
    What does your bench program look like?

CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CooCooCaChoo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're probably losing any tightness you had with the way you're locking out at the top of every rep
    Meet bests: 450/305/545

On the march to 1300...

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159367001

ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000) ink81 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Looks like your grip might be a bit close, and your elbows are flaring too early.
    227.5kg(502lb) Bench - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSng_nGiKw4

2015 Goals - 750kg/1650lb Total...done......new goal 800kg/1763lb

Lifting Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/dillguth/

KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by phrali View Post
    Your legs are all loose and wiggly. Read up on leg drive in the bench press and watch some videos.

Stop cutting.
    I will work on planting my legs solidly into the floor and using leg drive.

I try to stop cutting, but I am extremely paranoid about getting too heavy again. I used to weigh 475 pounds, and it is my worst fear to become that heavy again.

Originally Posted by ecchastang View Post
    What does your bench program look like?
    Right now I am doing 5x5, all sets at the same weight. I don't increase the weight until I can do all five sets for five reps.

Originally Posted by CooCooCaChoo View Post
    You're probably losing any tightness you had with the way you're locking out at the top of every rep
    I thought it was important to lock out at the top of the rep? I was doing so based on powerlifting rules. I figured I would train that way. That is also why I pause at the bottom.

This is from the USPA rule book:
    http://uspla.org/home/wp-content/upl...ok-v070614.pdf

Once the bar is paused and motionless on the chest or abdominal area, the audible command “PRESS” will be given. The bar must be pressed upwards with elbows fully locked. Any pronounced or exaggerated uneven lockout of the bar after completion is not allowed.

Originally Posted by ink81 View Post
    Looks like your grip might be a bit close, and your elbows are flaring too early.
    I will work on the elbows flaring.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will spread reps to you all.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KCTonyG View Post
    I thought it was important to lock out at the top of the rep?
    there is a difference between locking out and over extending to the point your shoulders come forward. your lats should be tight and compressed into the pad your laying on and should never come off it. your shoulders dont need to lift up to lock out. I think working on form could help you tremendously. you got some good brute strength though.
    Logs: none currently

previous sponsored logs and reviews can be seen here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158128363

Weight lost to date: 100lbs

ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000)
    IF you have been doing 5x5 for a while, you might benefit from doing a different rep range, especially with some heavy triples.

All about some GAINZ! IIISpartacusIII's Avatar
    IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You have almost no arch at all and you looked pretty loose in the upper back. Try squeezing your shoulder blades together and staying in this position before you unrack and maintaining throughout. Also try driving your thumbs into the bar, this will help you tuck the elbows in a bit; I believe the expression is "bending the bar". Also, you could work on moving those feet a bit further towards your head and keeping your legs tight so that you have leg drive through the entire process. Remember leg drive should be in place when you set up.
    "I was laying in bed one night and I thought ‘I’ll just quit — to hell with it.’ And another little voice inside me said ‘Don’t quit — save that tiny little ember of spark.’ And never give them that spark because as long as you have that spark, you can start the greatest fire again.”

- Charles Bukowski (1920-1994)

HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Awesome job losing all that weight!