amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Needing of a good strength program

I've been lifting consistently for about a year now.
    I'm in need of a strength program that I can lift about 3 times a week
    which will improve my athleticism for basketball and volleyball.
    My stats are :
    Squat - 260 / 1rep max
    Dead lift- 290/ 1 rep max
    Bench - 165/ 1 rep max

I've been on starting strength for six months and I stopped progressing.
    I've also been on candito training 6 week program for 15 weeks but I'm sick of
    working out 5 times a week with such high volume. It's getting dull and I had to reset my max couple of times.

Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by amphibianvoice View Post
    I've been lifting consistently for about a year now.
    I'm in need of a strength program that I can lift about 3 times a week
    which will improve my athleticism for basketball and volleyball.
    My stats are :
    Squat - 260 / 1rep max
    Dead lift- 290/ 1 rep max
    Bench - 165/ 1 rep max

I've been on starting strength for six months and I stopped progressing.
    I've also been on candito training 6 week program for 15 weeks but I'm sick of
    working out 5 times a week with such high volume. It's getting dull and I had to reset my max couple of times.
    if you are looking to gain strength and train for athletics you might want to check out the Juggernaut Method by Chad Wesley Smith.
    "I used to fight the pain, but recently this became clear to me: pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness."- Henry Rollins

My strength training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159468331

October 25th Meet Goals @ 165lbs:
    Squat - 455 Raw w/wraps
    Bench - 275
    Deadlift - 500

tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I used to play both those sports and sometimes ran madcow 5x5 at the same time. You lift three times per week and the volume is relatively low, so it might be a good fit. As for being 'dull' and lowering the weights to break plateaus, that might be unavoidable for you in strength training. Good programs stick to a core group of exercises, and no one can make linear progress forever.

My vertical was always the highest when my squat was strong--at 5'6" with a 7' standing reach I could grab a basketball rim with a running start. In my opinion, stick to high bar squats because they have more carryover to athletics than low bar.

If you're serious about those sports, though, you might want to look into getting sport-specific strength and conditioning coaching.
    1097 @ 161: http://youtu.be/zc9PkemUmHs

Meet PRs: 408/215/485
    Gym PRs: 419/220/507

www.youtube.com/user/tonenotbulk

amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50) amphibianvoice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tonenotbulk View Post
    I used to play both those sports and sometimes ran madcow 5x5 at the same time. You lift three times per week and the volume is relatively low, so it might be a good fit. As for being 'dull' and lowering the weights to break plateaus, that might be unavoidable for you in strength training. Good programs stick to a core group of exercises, and no one can make linear progress forever.

My vertical was always the highest when my squat was strong--at 5'6" with a 7' standing reach I could grab a basketball rim with a running start. In my opinion, stick to high bar squats because they have more carryover to athletics than low bar.

If you're serious about those sports, though, you might want to look into getting sport-specific strength and conditioning coaching.
    5 x 5 sounds like a lot of volume. Doing 5 rep max sets for squats seems unbearable especially when I could barely survive the 3x5 in Starting Strength.. I know what you mean though. I can dunk with a smaller basketball.(grip weakness) As for the progression, I just want a 3 day a week program so I won't miss any workouts.

Originally Posted by Justin.Martin View Post
    if you are looking to gain strength and train for athletics you might want to check out the Juggernaut Method by Chad Wesley Smith.
    I'm having a little trouble finding this program... is it 5/3/1 by Chad wesley Smith?

tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    5 x 5 sounds like a lot of volume. Doing 5 rep max sets for squats seems unbearable especially when I could barely survive the 3x5 in Starting Strength.. I know what you mean though. I can dunk with a smaller basketball.(grip weakness) As for the progression, I just want a 3 day a week program so I won't miss any workouts.
    Well, the 5x5 under madcow isn't as much as it seems because the sets ramp up. I.e. let's say your top set is 225x5. Your Monday squats might look like this:

125x5
    150x5
    175x5
    200x5
    225x5

So really, only the top two sets will be taxing to any degree. And you can intentionally underestimate your starting "5-rep max" to help avoid burning out too quickly. For example, you could use 205x5 or even 185x5 to start out with. It might feel like you're not pushing yourself to the limit, but that doesn't mean you're not getting stronger.
    1097 @ 161: http://youtu.be/zc9PkemUmHs

Meet PRs: 408/215/485
    Gym PRs: 419/220/507

www.youtube.com/user/tonenotbulk

JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    6'1" 160.
    A total@A body weight
    Jesus, Powerlifting, Strongman, foggy mirrors.

Registered User GoodGeneticsPls's Avatar
    GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dunno why you'd do a program as advanced as Candito's 6 week. In fact, you'd probably be well suited for his linear program.

P.O.P Pimp Squad IronAddict1775's Avatar
    IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronAddict1775 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    6'1 160 lbs

Eat more brah
    *Italian Crew
    *Miami Dolphins Crew
    *XBOX One Crew
    *Baby Face Crew
    *Tiny Wrists Crew
    *Instagram Crew
    *Star Wars Crew
    *Nervous Before a Haircut Crew
    **Bakersfield Misc Crew**

Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Johnny Candito's Linear Program. Nice balanced strength routine with 3 templates for technique, speed, and hyperthrophy

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/fre...ngth-programs/

Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GoodGeneticsPls View Post
    Dunno why you'd do a program as advanced as Candito's 6 week. In fact, you'd probably be well suited for his linear program.
    repped for same answer

Originally Posted by JohnnyRingo350 View Post
    6'1" 160.
    irrelevant and unhelpful

Originally Posted by Bballer99 View Post
    Johnny Candito's Linear Program. Nice balanced strength routine with 3 templates for technique, speed, and hyperthrophy

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/fre...ngth-programs/
    I'm either going to do this or madcows. madcows seems confusing and I read that you're suppose to overreach and fail and reset which I don't like the idea of.

It's not so advanced as one might think. Plus I gained lots of strength from it. But lost some by slacking

Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

I'm having a little trouble finding this program... is it 5/3/1 by Chad wesley Smith?
    OP here you go:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/store/the...ut-method-2-0/
    "I used to fight the pain, but recently this became clear to me: pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness."- Henry Rollins

My strength training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159468331

October 25th Meet Goals @ 165lbs:
    Squat - 455 Raw w/wraps
    Bench - 275
    Deadlift - 500

phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    irrelevant and unhelpful
    Actually completely relevant and helpful. 6'1" 160 is basically a toothpick.

None of these programs are going to get you strong unless you gain some weight.
    ---Likes front squats more than back squats crew---
    ---Likes overhead press more than bench press crew---
    ---Can't argue with deadlifts crew---

Registered User GoodGeneticsPls's Avatar
    GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000) GoodGeneticsPls is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's not so advanced as one might think. Plus I gained lots of strength from it. But lost some by slacking
    If you have the ability to progress on a weekly basis, it doesn't really make sense to be doing a program where you're not progressing on a weekly basis.

Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm either going to do this or madcows. madcows seems confusing and I read that you're suppose to overreach and fail and reset which I don't like the idea of.
    Madcows as written is garbage IMO. I've been using it recently as a basic template for bench/incline. If you decide to use it, I highly suggest using the following modifications that I have been using myself:

1) Start significantly lower: saying you could do 135x5, then I would use like 95-100 starting out.

2) On your top set, rep it out. I've been using the max of 8 reps on 3 rep day and 10 reps on 5 rep day.

3) Make the drop set on 3-rep day pause reps and try for 10.

4) I do bench and incline on the same day on one day of the week and bench with OHP on the second bench day.

5) Make sure you are doing some shoulder work.

As written, I legit think Madcows is the most useless and waste of time routine I've ever done. I used it for squats as written and straight up stalled a few weeks in. With my modifications and using it for bench/incline I've gone through 10 weeks and still chugging along.

JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000) JohnnyRingo350 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Ownster8932 View Post
    Madcows as written is garbage IMO. I've been using it recently as a basic template for bench/incline. If you decide to use it, I highly suggest using the following modifications that I have been using myself:

1) Start significantly lower: saying you could do 135x5, then I would use like 95-100 starting out.

2) On your top set, rep it out. I've been using the max of 8 reps on 3 rep day and 10 reps on 5 rep day.

4) I do bench and incline on the same day on one day of the week and bench with OHP on the second bench day.

As written, I legit think Madcows is the most useless and waste of time routine I've ever done. I used it for squats as written and straight up stalled a few weeks in. With my modifications and using it for bench/incline I've gone through 10 weeks and still chugging along.
    A total@A body weight
    Jesus, Powerlifting, Strongman, foggy mirrors.

Originally Posted by Ownster8932 View Post

Wow that made it more confusing.

If you have the ability to progress on a weekly basis, it doesn't really make sense to be doing a program where you're not progressing on a weekly basis.
    Well I was on Starting Strength a non cyclical program and progress stopped and I had to reset multiple times.

Thanks for all replies everyone. I think I'll do the Candito linear program. Cheers!

Originally Posted by phrali View Post
    Actually completely relevant and helpful. 6'1" 160 is basically a toothpick.

None of these programs are going to get you strong unless you gain some weight.
    Yes I am aware of the fact that I need to gain weight to get strong. That's common sense and I am gaining weight. I was 130lbs couple of months back. Also I've been on this forum for two years. Posting someone's height and weight is not advice and was definitely not helpful. I know how much I weigh, thank you.

theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10) theboiflip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tbh i really think you should still follow a linear program like starting strength with your current lifts.

just make sure you get enough calories/sleep for recovery to break that plateau.

but if you really want to change programs wendler's 5/3/1 is a popular option, but your gains will be much slower.