preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question What kind of barbell do I really need?

I have never done weight lifting in my life but I have recently gotten into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and wanted to do something that would help me increase strength on the days I don't have class.

I am planning on starting with the StrongLifts 5x5 program and see how that goes. I have gotten some items already: SFID325 Bench, Rogue Hi-temp Bumper Plates (260 lb), Troy 2.5 and 5 lb change plates, and a Magnum Multi-rack that I pick up next week.

My question is: Considering I am not going to start lifting large amounts of weights, should I spend $230-275 on a bar or would something like the $130 Cap bar work fine? That money I don't spend on the bar could go towards some kettle bells.

The bars I have been considering (besides the Cap): Bomba Bar V2, Again Faster Team Barbell, Rogue Bar 2.0 and Lynx Hyrid Bearing Bar. ( I don't think I NEED a bearing bar but it falls within that price range that seems to be the "entry good quality" range.

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The CAP OB-86B is the best value on the market for a general purpose barbell. Many of the Equipment Forum regulars have one. If you "upgrade" in the future, the bar still makes a fantastic beater bar.
    www.instagram.com/mastodonstrength/

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can use the ~$150 CAP OB-86. As a total beginner you'll be fine with even a cheap crap $40 bar. But they tend to feel crappy, have crappy knurl texture. Will still be useful for rack pulls later on, since you don't want to waste a good bar on those.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by preyes715 View Post
    I have never done weight lifting in my life but I have recently gotten into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and wanted to do something that would help me increase strength on the days I don't have class.

I am planning on starting with the StrongLifts 5x5 program and see how that goes. I have gotten some items already: SFID325 Bench, Rogue Hi-temp Bumper Plates (260 lb), Troy 2.5 and 5 lb change plates, and a Magnum Multi-rack that I pick up next week.

My question is: Considering I am not going to start lifting large amounts of weights, should I spend $230-275 on a bar or would something like the $130 Cap bar work fine? That money I don't spend on the bar could go towards some kettle bells.

The bars I have been considering (besides the Cap): Bomba Bar V2, Again Faster Team Barbell, Rogue Bar 2.0 and Lynx Hyrid Bearing Bar. ( I don't think I NEED a bearing bar but it falls within that price range that seems to be the "entry good quality" range.
    rogue castro - great steel barbell for powerlifting and oly lifts. all rounder (rogue bar is similar, but with zinc coating making it rust less and and the 2.0 looks great)
    Burgener & Rippetoe bar and texas power bar are great powerlifting bars
    cap ob-86b like others mentioned is great quality bar for the money. ideal starter bar.
    rep fitness excalibur bar is a great olympic bar and made from a smaller company but great value if you ever get into olympic lifting

if you live somewhere dry i would recommend a bare steel barbell. i don't think any bar feels as good as those when they are broken in. but that's pretty subjective i guess (or is it?)

cheers!

edit: also, great start on your gym man! you did it right! post it when you have it all up and running
    Last edited by Cartr1dgeBased; 08-27-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #42 []---[]
    375/215/405 12/03/14
    /fit/izen (Cart !RvaUG4a4RQ)
    #BullsNation #CowboysNation for life.
    わたしはにほんごをはなします。
    "You need a rack, bench and 300-lb. Oly set. Now, what was your question?" -AttyGuy

periodically updated workout log (with pics): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163565881
    diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/cartr1dge

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cap OB86B. Why bumpers? Just curious.

Congrats on the BJJ. My two boys are right into it and I'm about to make a return to the mats myself. Just finished setting up their basement battle zone.

()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post

Congrats on the BJJ. My two boys are right into it and I'm about to make a return to the mats myself. Just finished setting up their basement battle zone.
    your a cool dad. i hope im a cool dad if i have kids and have **** like that in my house.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #42 []---[]
    375/215/405 12/03/14
    /fit/izen (Cart !RvaUG4a4RQ)
    #BullsNation #CowboysNation for life.
    わたしはにほんごをはなします。
    "You need a rack, bench and 300-lb. Oly set. Now, what was your question?" -AttyGuy

periodically updated workout log (with pics): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163565881
    diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/cartr1dge

preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preyes715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Reason for the bumpers: I am attempting to not make too much noise, I didn't want to worry about rust (It seemed every deal I saw on metal plates were for cheap ones, all the "nicer" ones were more than I wanted to pay) and I got a really good deal on them. $335 for 260 lb

That is awesome - I just also got some Dollamur Tatami roll-up mats to do drills on off days. If/when I have kids I definitely would like them to get into it as early as possible.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've put my order for the OB-86B. I think I will be getting some plywood and a couple more mats to make a platform.

rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rwil23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

First rule of fight club: don't talk about fight club.
    Second rule of fight club: don't post pics of said fight club...

Seriously - how awesome, though?

Originally Posted by preyes715 View Post
    Reason for the bumpers: I am attempting to not make too much noise, I didn't want to worry about rust (It seemed every deal I saw on metal plates were for cheap ones, all the "nicer" ones were more than I wanted to pay) and I got a really good deal on them. $335 for 260 lb

That is awesome - I just also got some Dollamur Tatami roll-up mats to do drills on off days. If/when I have kids I definitely would like them to get into it as early as possible.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've put my order for the OB-86B. I think I will be getting some plywood and a couple more mats to make a platform.
    Thought you might end up doing that - I've done a ton of reading and seems as though most end up with that bar if not looking to totally break the bank. Let us know what you think..