DeMaggio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Left Shoulder Pain ONLY After Push Ups

I've been doing Shaun T's Insanity since the end of April with great results and I've got 2 weeks left but I've had this pain that's really gotten me worried. Before this I had shin splint like pain, I took breaks and just went through with it and it's gone finally. But now my left should hurts any time I push up after doing a push up or anything like that. When I lift some weights it's fine but if I do a push up it hurts the most for a second. So when I go down in the push up it's fine but when I go up and I finish my set it hurts the most when I start to get up on my feet and push off with my arms. ONLY the left shoulder then hurts sharply for a good second and then it's gone. If I'm throwing some punches or stretching my arm back and forth fast I can feel the pain is there but it doesn't hurt at all. I'm 20 and new to this stuff but I've gotten better. I think it's been my form when I do the push ups when I started out and I think I never really fixed it and now I just want it to go away since the Insanity program has a lot of push up based exercises and don't want to work around it if I don't have to. I just did a few push ups differently (I think it was finally the correct way) and when I pushed up I didn't feel that sharp pain in my left should for that second (still feel that the pain is there but no rush of pain). I usually have my arms out and my body looks like a T if you were to look at me from atop. Is this the beginning of tendinitis? Did I just injure myself? I think it's a 90% chance it's definitely just bad form and with time and fixing the form it will be fine. Do I quit the push ups for a little until the pain is mostly gone or do I fix the form so it's perfect and continue and will the pain slowly start to go away then? Thanks! I tried to make this clear as possible.

mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikedito is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Most likely this has to do with improper form. If your form as off, you were depending on your left shoulder when you push up from the bottom of the movement. If you think this is more than just a pain in your shoulder, maybe you should see a doctor about there being potential tendinitis.

My advice would be to lay off the push ups for a little bit, then start doing them with strict, proper form

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DeMaggio View Post
    Do I quit the push ups for a little until the pain is mostly gone or do I fix the form so it's perfect and continue and will the pain slowly start to go away then?
    You quit until it heals, then fix your form before doing any further serious # of pushups. If you're doing well with new form, then it starts breaking down, stop doing that until your next session.

This might help rehab the shoulder while you're waiting for it to heal, it helped me -
    *****://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lnqtibxboo

I wouldn't do this until after my shoulder healed, but I've seen several people say good things about this helping with strengthening the shoulders -
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...oulder_shocker