vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Glycogen depletion

(I posted this in another thread , but then it hit me that this may be a better place to get good advice)

Hello guys,

I read that the body stores glycogen in the liver and muscles after consumption of dietary carbohydrates, and that the liver glycogen is the first source of energy that the body uses when in a caloric deficit/low bloodsugar levels. (correct me if I am wrong)

If the above is true, my question would be: Does the body switch to burning bodyfat for energy once the liver glycogen is depleted, or it taps into muscle glycogen stores ? (I read that muscle glycogen is not released for energy unless in need of intense physical activity) . If the answer is yes, what is the best/quickest way of depleting the liver glycogen after consumption of carbs? (I am doing Intermittent Fasting so I thought that if i enter the fast window being glycogen depleted, it would make the most out of the fasting period regarding % of fat burned)

Thank you !

raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your body needs time to adapt to efficiently using fat as a fuel source, unless you are already adapted (some people for various reasons are adapted) i would suggest doing a keto diet for 2-4 weeks without any carb ups and without carbs pre or post workout, so your body will adapt to it, you will feel crap probably but you will mist likely get well adapted. after that experiment with what you are asking about.

There is a book called 'the art and science of low carb performance' you may want to check out.

vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thx for your advice!

Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by vlad11 View Post
    (I posted this in another thread , but then it hit me that this may be a better place to get good advice)

Hello guys,

I read that the body stores glycogen in the liver and muscles after consumption of dietary carbohydrates, and that the liver glycogen is the first source of energy that the body uses when in a caloric deficit/low bloodsugar levels. (correct me if I am wrong)

If the above is true, my question would be: Does the body switch to burning bodyfat for energy once the liver glycogen is depleted, or it taps into muscle glycogen stores ? (I read that muscle glycogen is not released for energy unless in need of intense physical activity) . If the answer is yes, what is the best/quickest way of depleting the liver glycogen after consumption of carbs? (I am doing Intermittent Fasting so I thought that if i enter the fast window being glycogen depleted, it would make the most out of the fasting period regarding % of fat burned)

Thank you !

The body starts burning fat as soon as fat is present in blood supply. A lot of tissue prefers to burn fat, but your brain will not burn fat if it is present as free fatty acids.

Normally (while eating carbs regularly) you will have a steady supply of glucose from either diet or from glycogen stored in liver. The brain uses that as its main fuel. Musccle tissue can store some glycogen too, but cant export it back to blood. Whenever your blood glucose level dips, your brain start fading into automatic mode.

When fasting or when you just dont eat carbohydrates, liver glycogen is the source of glucose for the brain. As liver glycogen is depleted, production of keton fuels from free fatty acids is ramped up. This production can cover up to 66 % of the brains energy needs while glucose availability is low. Ketone fuels are water soluble and can cross the blood brain barrier.

You can deplete your liver glycogen through exercise. On the keto-adapted body this will have the effect of increasing the production of keton fuels.
    Eddie Izzard for Mayor!!!!