CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) CKBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Should my 64 year old dad take up deadlifting?

My dad has been having some back pain issues, was recently laid up in bed for a few days because of them, though today he felt good enough to cut the grass.

I told him (via e-mail) how deadlifting helped me eliminate my back pain, and suggested he consider it, (if cleared to do so by a doctor.)

Was this misguided?

He's 64, but rode over 1000km by motorcycle this summer, and went camping, swimming etc, and was fine. I think he is pretty strong, as he was unbeatable in his weight class in wrestling in high school, and could do 100 consecutive pushups when he was 30. In his 50's, he went winter camping in the Canadian wilderness, pulling a sled of his supplies over the snow. Just last year, he renovated a small house.

He'd be fine deadlifting, starting light and progressing slowly, right?

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    64 isn't old,

be safe and happy lifting
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If his doc okays it - he should be fine.

Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000) Rajon25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does he ever bend over and pick up something off the ground? I suspect he is dead lifting already but not calling it that. The dead lift is a natural human movement. I am not saying go pull 5 plates but Stronglifts 5x5 or something linear starting with a PVC or an unloaded bar would be great of course if cleared by a competent physician.

Dead lifting without squatting is like eating peanut butter without jelly - just saying.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #68 ▪██─────██▪

Current plan:
    Very organized. Well-coached.
    Goal - be strong and not fat

Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neofolis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've suffered with back pain for almost twenty years and in most cases, being more mobile is better than being static, but having been particularly bad this past year, I'm not currently feeling confident enough to try deadlifts yet. Stretching, like pilates and yoga can be very beneficial and strengthening of core muscles to keep everything stable and aid good posture is also useful, so deadlifts may be very good from that perspective and, if the doctor says it's OK, then it could help a lot.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    64 is not old, but if you want to get medical clearance since he had/has a bad back get it from a sports doctor most regular doctors will tell you not to deadlift.
    On the list for Bannukah

JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    And he uses correct form. But the type and cause of his dad's back pain needs to be known to determine whether deadlifts would be beneficial.

squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lift light, lots of pause reps, learn correct feet/shoulder position and to engage the correct muscles

With an already tender back, the approach obviously needs to be totally different to some young kiddo

Consider getting him in touch with a powerlifting gym to coach and correct his movements, solely because the margin for error is much smaller at that age and fragility

All the best man, never to young to get some numbers under your belt

All about some GAINZ! IIISpartacusIII's Avatar
    IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The first issue I'd look at a bit more closely is mobility. In order to deadlift, squat etc. you have to be able to get into the correct position and execute them in the appropriate range of motion. I don't know how flexible your father is but most older guys never give much thought to proper joint mobility and exercise execution. Here's a good start:

"I was laying in bed one night and I thought ‘I’ll just quit — to hell with it.’ And another little voice inside me said ‘Don’t quit — save that tiny little ember of spark.’ And never give them that spark because as long as you have that spark, you can start the greatest fire again.”

- Charles Bukowski (1920-1994)

Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by CKBB View Post
    My dad has been having some back pain issues, was recently laid up in bed for a few days because of them, though today he felt good enough to cut the grass.

I told him (via e-mail) how deadlifting helped me eliminate my back pain, and suggested he consider it, (if cleared to do so by a doctor.)

Was this misguided?

He's 64, but rode over 1000km by motorcycle this summer, and went camping, swimming etc, and was fine. I think he is pretty strong, as he was unbeatable in his weight class in wrestling in high school, and could do 100 consecutive pushups when he was 30. In his 50's, he went winter camping in the Canadian wilderness, pulling a sled of his supplies over the snow. Just last year, he renovated a small house.

Absolutely!

All my PRs are history HoustonTXMuscle's Avatar
    HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    ^^^^This. And like mtpockets said:"64 isn't old." Being 10 years older, I'm still doing dl's. My grip is more of a limitation than my back necessitating the use of straps. Personally, I can go a lot heavier on Jefferson lifts in a Sumo stance.
    Inactivity Kills!!!

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140991491 Age is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Played with dinosaurs as a child. Back then everyone was thin; it was a matter of out-running the raptors or being one of their meals.

bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Theirs a guy in the gym I go to whose in his 70's that deadlifts every week! He's a real inspiration for long-term lifting success. Get him cleared by a dr. then slowly introduce it to him. Work on his form over a few weeks or months and let the weight go up slowly. If he doesn't like it then leave it alone knowing he gave it a shot!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172784881 redtest log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173258571

K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000) K5Mathews is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree...64 isn't old. Definitely do the deads but make sure his form is on point and the weight is on the lighter side to start.
    Kenny Mathews
    National Sales Manager
    Muscle Elements
    muscle-elements.com

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Interesting how everyone says 64 isn't old, which I agree with, but when I was 18 it sure seemed ancient
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Make sure to stress to him the importance of proper form. A lot of new trainees injure themselves deadlifting because they don't understand how to do it properly. Start off light, and get form locked down before moving on to higher weights.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Another option he might try, is to start out with Rack Deadlifts. Setting a Power Rack bar or a Smith Machine bar just below his knees reduces a lot of the potential back problems he could face. After a while he could just lower the Power Rack etc down another notch and then another till he is coming up off the ground. It usually takes me about 4 months to make such a transition. Bottom line is, he needs to go after Deads one way or another, they are close to Squats as the best things for us.
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Taught my dad to deadlift years ago and he does it (and squats) to this day at almost 64.

Make sure form and mobility is okay, take it slow and I don't see why not.

Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Overload View Post
    Interesting how everyone says 64 isn't old, which I agree with, but when I was 18 it sure seemed ancient
    Yep, when I was 25 there was a guy pulling some big numbers at our gym.

He was 44 years old and I had the same veiws as your self.

Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500)

Wow!

Originally Posted by HoustonTXMuscle View Post
    ^^^^This. And like mtpockets said:"64 isn't old." Being 10 years older, I'm still doing dl's. My grip is more of a limitation than my back necessitating the use of straps. Personally, I can go a lot heavier on Jefferson lifts in a Sumo stance.
    "74?!" Awesome! That means I have many years of training before me. Thank you.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    He could.
    I have two friends over 70 that compete in PLing and pull over 400 lbs.
    I would get a qualified person to check or help him with his technique first.

oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldmanlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up Go For It!

Well, I took it up at age 70. It's a great feeling to know I am doing something a lot of younger guys can't do.

Just make sure of two things: 1) his doctor gives him an okay, and 2) your dad has a really good trainer who is fanatical about his form and his preparation.

After 60 it isn't good to go into anything without some guidance. Everything takes longer to heal than it used to, so a good trainer will help him keep mistakes to a minimum.

Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike Spitzer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Age is a relative thing.
    Some people at 64 can climb Mt Everest
    Others at age 64 can barely walk.

So what is most important is his own personal health, past history of ailments, medical clearance and what are his goals ?

I work with people over age 40 these days --- looking for best overall fitness.
    I am age 51 and I confess, I no longer do HEAVY deadlifts , HEAVY squats or HEAVY bent over rows.
    yes, I still do these motions ..... but I now use only medium weights for these motions and use leg press for HEAVY leg work, seated rowing for HEAVY back and now do lost of hyperextensions for lower back

The reason ?
    I am most interesting in maximizing muscle gains while minimizing wear and tear and stress on joints, lower spine compression, etc..

I have worked alongside too many guys my age who refused to stop the heavy lifting in these motions and they are not suffering with back, knee and hip problems

Of course for every person with injuries over age 50 doing these motions -- there will be another who says they don't have any issues and they still go heavy.
    That's life and luck

But the point is ... What are your dad's ultimate goals ?
    Then evaluate the Benefits-vs- Risks for each exercise as they relate to meeting that goal
    Michael Spitzer - Author - FITNESS at 40,50,60 and BEYOND

Registered User Bladerunner1811's Avatar
    Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CKBB View Post

Was this misguided?

who decides a man is old but said man!

Sure its safe for him to start deadlifting.
    Barbarism in the natural state of mankind.Civilzation is unnatural.It is the whim of circumstance.And barbarism must always ultimately triumph.

-----Robert E.Howard
    From the Conan tale:

Beyond the Black river