rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My School's Lifting Class.... (May be a rant, but advice wanted)

My school offers a weightlifting and conditioning class. As an athlete, I decided to take the class. Today was the first day of lifting and we were given the routine that we will do for the year (can cut back on the lifting during the season.) Some guys with no experience were in there. They asked they coach to explain how to do all the lifts in our pyramid bro-split (3-4 upper body days a week, 1-2 lower; weekends off.) All exercises must be done in the following rep scheme: 10, 8, 6, 8, 10. Coach said that this wouldn't add bulk and kill flexibility, just strength (yes because more volume and high-ish reps=pure strength training.) The exercise selection is questionable; behind-the-neck lat pulldowns, upright rows.
    But I get it, some coaches don't know what they are doing with lifting. We are allowed to power clean, but not dead lift. The real cringe worthy stuff is when he showed everyone acceptable form. We are not allowed to use our thumbs when gripping the bar on the bench press, because, "Bench press is a push, and you don't push anyone with your thumbs." He explained power cleans as, "Moving the bar of the ground to your shoulders in a fluid motion." No more detail than that. And it is too late to drop out. Any way to make the best of this?

Sorry if this is a rant

TL;DR: We follow a bro-split, do high volume power cleans, have to bench with suicide grip and do other lifts that are known to hurt shoulders. It is too late to drop out, what should I do?

TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBeastTyler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    An easy out if you're an athlete would be to request that you do a different routine more tailored to your specific sport.
    Feb 1, 2013 (started getting serious)/Current maxes at bw of 156-162lbs

Bench 205x3 (went back up about two inches before touching chest)/300
    Squat 230x5 (half squat)/350 (below parallel)
    Deadlift 185x5/475

Cutting [ ]
    Bulking [ X ]
    Workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159776261&p=1197756951#post1197756951

rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheBeastTyler View Post
    An easy out if you're an athlete would be to request that you do a different routine more tailored to your specific sport.
    The problem with this is that the class was "designed" for the athletes.

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Tell him, respectfully, that you heard about this book that was recommended by tons of guys in the field and point him to Starting Strength.
    Aaron Bennett
    Denver Harlequins Rugby
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #29 -!!!---!!!-

beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cthulhupun View Post
    Tell him, respectfully, that you heard about this book that was recommended by tons of guys in the field and point him to Starting Strength.
    Ordinarily I would agree with the above poster, and suggest you tell him privately so he isn't embarrassed.

However, I think based on what you've said the chance he will actually read the book and quickly adopt the proper practices before the class ends is slim.

The stakes are high enough that I'd give some serious thought to going to the administration immediately and ask to drop the class despite it being too late. Document some of the things he said and bring up research to back up your views. You may even consider showing youtube videos of people dropping barbells on their chest while lifting with suicide grip (that alone would probably force a quick reaction on part of the administration).

If the administration refuses come back and try and bring the biggest and most experienced lifters with you to make your case that the teacher needs to be removed or forced to actually study the topic he is teaching. If this is high school get your parents involved.

It's not like the teacher is teaching you how to solve a math problem incorrectly. In this class, with this idiot teacher, the potential for immediate injury, especially for the least experienced, is very high and this warrants quick and extreme action on your part.
    Doc had but three redeeming traits. One was his courage; he was afraid of nothing on Earth. The second was the one commendable principal in his code of life, sterling loyalty to friends. The third was his affection for Wyatt Earp.

TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheEndGoal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Never been to a class but would it be possible to just ignore the coach and go about a normal routine? If not, (again not familiar with the US school system) is there not someone who you can talk to like a form tutor (Homeroom teacher?) or Head of Department/Year?

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by TheEndGoal View Post
    Never been to a class but would it be possible to just ignore the coach and go about a normal routine? If not, (again not familiar with the US school system) is there not someone who you can talk to like a form tutor (Homeroom teacher?) or Head of Department/Year?
    OP could simply ignore the coach, but the rest of the kids aren't going to. That is the problem.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post
    OP could simply ignore the coach, but the rest of the kids aren't going to. That is the problem.
    This. I'm currently doing SS in the class, my lifting buddy, which is required, thinks I'm crazy. Last year some one fractured a vertebrae from squatting on the balls of his feet. I feel sorry for the kid, wasn't his fault. Will update if anything else happens. I refuse to get robbed of my gains, I'm skinny as hell, not by this forum's standards, but on non-lifters' standards.

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rhymeswithcash View Post
    Last year some one fractured a vertebrae from squatting on the balls of his feet.
    That alone didn't get the administration involved? If something like that happened in my class, my administration wouldn't have let me just carry on. There are some things that are just not the best (like the rep scheme and the bodybuilder split) and there are things that are legally actionable (like the suicide grip on bench press, the exercise responsible for more deaths every year than any other).
    Aaron Bennett
    Denver Harlequins Rugby
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #29 -!!!---!!!-

The problem is that the coach played basketball in college so everyone thinks he knows what he is doing. The ironic thing is the he stopped playing from injuries, which I believe happened in the weight room. I'm definitely going to talk to some admin and see what I can do. Monday is our baseline bench press test. I'll try to use my thumbs and hope he doesn't see it. The bench press is the only lift coaches care about. The squat is probably the most important for athletes though. He didn't even tell the new guys to retract the scapula.

Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bench is so phucking overrated. Yes, it is a good test of upper body strength, but are you ever going to be back against a bench pushing others with 400lbs of force? I'd rather see bench to ohp 1:1 ratio for optimal strength development, as the press uses force from the ground up like in an as actual game.

That said, my main focus now is powerlifting.

Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The problem is that the coach played basketball in college so everyone thinks he knows what he is doing. The ironic thing is the he stopped playing from injuries, which I believe happened in the weight room. I'm definitely going to talk to some admin and see what I can do. Monday is our baseline bench press test. I'll try to use my thumbs and hope he doesn't see it. The bench press is the only lift coaches care about. The squat is probably the most important for athletes though. He didn't even tell the new guys to retract the scapula.
    OP I hope the weightlifting class I plan to take as a senior is nothing like yours (****ty brosplit, bad technique)

Bballer99, update when it starts. I want to hear what other people do in their weights classes. Is my class just a crappy outlier, or is this closer to normal?

The coach is making use max our bicep curls tomorrow....

Thought is was a joke but he was serious.

Explogorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The coach is making use max our bicep curls tomorrow....

Thought is was a joke but he was serious.
    This is the norm, not the exception. Even the "strength and conditioning coaches" at the college level have there players maxing out on touch and go bench and quarter squats every other workout. I don't know how you'll get out of this particular class, but to avoid this situation in the future, play sports where the coaches aren't inclined to think that (they're misguided view of) strength is the only thing that matters (rugby is instead of football, for example)