Thread: New to Keto

simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50)

New to Keto

I a new to this. My doctor said my blood sugar is too high and wanted to put me on insulin. I refused that and I am determined to get my insulin resistance fixed through eating and exercise.

The goal is to eat less than 100g of carbs per day maybe 150g on a lifting day and to do fasted Intermittent Cardio three times a week while eating at maintenance which I know is around 2500 thanks to my bodpod test a few weeks ago.

Problem is finding food to eat. I am currently using almonds to get about 900 of my calories and I am still having to find an extra 300 per day. Any tips and advice. I don't want to just gorge myself on unhealthy fats. I'm in this to reverse type 2 diabetes and not inclined to replace it with another health condition. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Legends are not about the goals, but the journey to reach them.
    You can't reach buried treasue without going through some dirt.

grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are approaching it wrong. You need to follow SKD. That means keeping carbs to a minimum and following the SKD ratios.
    This means eating a ton of fat, and keeping your carbs under 30g a day.

If you want the health benefits of Keto you have to ditch the idea that fats are bad.
    There are people on here that eat 2kc of fat a day with perfect bloodwork.

simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    You are approaching it wrong. You need to follow SKD. That means keeping carbs to a minimum and following the SKD ratios.
    This means eating a ton of fat, and keeping your carbs under 30g a day.

If you want the health benefits of Keto you have to ditch the idea that fats are bad.
    There are people on here that eat 2kc of fat a day with perfect bloodwork.
    I don't think fats are bad, but there is a difference between fat from salmon or avocado and a pork sausage. I am open to eating either just prefer not as much of the pork sausage variety. I just need help finding foods to eat. I expected to up my fats quite a bit and have been doing so, but I am tired of eating almonds for extra calories.

I will look up the SDK ratios and see if it will work for me. I am aware though that I do take diabetes medicine and can have low blood sugar if I don't eat enough carbs.
    Legends are not about the goals, but the journey to reach them.
    You can't reach buried treasue without going through some dirt.

heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) heaviestj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by simoxeh View Post
    I don't think fats are bad, but there is a difference between fat from salmon or avocado and a pork sausage. I am open to eating either just prefer not as much of the pork sausage variety. I just need help finding foods to eat. I expected to up my fats quite a bit and have been doing so, but I am tired of eating almonds for extra calories.

I will look up the SDK ratios and see if it will work for me. I am aware though that I do take diabetes medicine and can have low blood sugar if I don't eat enough carbs.
    What kind of fat is in pork sausage? Saturated mostly, some Poly, but mostly mono. Seems like a good source for fat and protein (From MyFitness Pal anyway).

Here's what I do, or have been doing, using lots of oils. EVOO on about everything I eat. I make flax seed/coconut flour pancakes and use coconut oil with Stevia as the sweet sauce on top. Ground beef, plenty of fats, mono's, and some added EVOO to that on a bed of greens. Just put oils on everything you eat or even drink the oils. I put coconut oil in a protein shake. Makes it taste like I've used milk. Also, coconut milk, 100ml and the rest water also tastes good in a protein shake or just the coconut milk with some Stevia over anything really....OK...I'm rambling. Fatty meats, oils and nuts are your friend.

School of Lean Bulking Time4New's Avatar
    Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Google up on polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fats. Learn what amount or % of each you want to target! then Google to find sources of those. Plenty of health enhancing fats out here. You need to know what you are eating. I try and balance each of those sources, but I'm not suggesting that is right for you

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'd be willing to help, but you don't seem to to be ready to listen yet.

So, I am just going to say you should research more and good luck.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Healthnut1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this is going to sound like spam but I had the EXACT same beef with Keto until I listened to this Columbia-trained dietician explain how they're actually beneficial on this Open Sky Podcast. You can find it here: *****://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/open-sky-fitness/id734199564?mt=2

grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10) grndzro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Healthnut1986 View Post
    I know this is going to sound like spam but I had the EXACT same beef with Keto until I listened to this Columbia-trained dietician explain how they're actually beneficial on this Open Sky Podcast. You can find it here: *****://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/open-sky-fitness/id734199564?mt=2
    Ban him!!! he uses Itunes!!!

You can also find them here in friendly non apple format.
    http://openskyfitness.com/podcast/

raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raskolAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Avocado
    Olives
    Cheese
    Cream cheese
    Cream instead of milk for everything
    (For example I water cream down and use it for shakes)