rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Black Widow Safety Squat Bar versus Straight Bar question

I have been squatting a while with a Rogue straight Oly bar. I recently purchased the Black Widow Safety Squat bar. The bar is beautiful...as usual, Dean does great work. Love all my BWTG equipment.

However, maybe it's because I'm just not used to the weight distribution of the two bars, but I'm having a much more difficult time using the SSB (I've only used it twice thus far).

Two questions:

1. Does the straight bar hit the leg muscles differently than the SSB? I know there is supposed to be a difference in the feel of the lower back versus lower back.
    2. If both bars work the legs differently, does it make sense to rotate bars in my training? I squat twice a week - Use SSB once session and Straight bar in the other each week?
    3. Is it normal to squat less using the SSB than a normal bar?

Thanks

Ryan
    Last edited by rvfraley; 08-15-2014 at 04:25 AM.

djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yea the SSB crushes you forward and normally you can't put up as much weight. The bar is also heavier so you start off with more weight right off the bat.

I'm not sure with programming I do SSB intermittently to get a different workout, but I'm on starting strength so I'm following that and off days I do whatever I feel like doin that day haha.

I love the SSB for calf raises in my rack. It's also good for lunges I just need to keep my balance on the return.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #48 ▪██─────██▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #34 ▪[M]====[6]▪

zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rvfraley View Post
    1. Does the straight bar hit the leg muscles differently than the SSB? I know there is supposed to be a difference in the feel of the lower back versus lower back.
    2. If both bars work the legs differently, does it make sense to rotate bars in my training? I squat twice a week - Use SSB once session and Straight bar in the other each week?

Thanks

Ryan
    1. The SSB mimics a front squat. So yes, it will target the body differently than a high bar and low bar squat.
    2. Yes, it does make sense to rotate the bars for squatting.
    3. Yes, this is normal.

2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Love my SS bar. I have to admit I haven't done regular straight bar squats since the purchase. It targets my quads way more than a traditional squat, which I love. I feel like my leg press covers all the other target muscles. Also, I have noticed if I intentionally try to stay more upright with the SS bar it seems to focus on my quads even more which makes things intense. This is my preferred method. I was also humbled by the lack of weight I was able to use with the SS bar.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #47
    ()---() York Barbell Club #46 (DD) ()---()

During the last few reps of a true 20RM squat, just do what Jesus tells you.--Mark Rippetoe

rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50) rvfraley will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you guys. I must admit, I didn't do my research before buying the bar. I love BWTG and new others loved their SSB. THe handle placement was what made me want the bar. I don't have shoulder issues, but getting under the straight bar sometimes feels 'tweeky'. So, I got the SSB bar.

First time I used it, I was humbled with not being able to squat as much. I wasn't expecting that (matter of fact, I was expecting to be able to squat more). I chalked it up to a new bar/new movement. Second time I squatted...same thing, could not handle normal weight.

After researching now, I see this is common. I'm happy with the bar. I will rotate it in an out.

As long as their is some carry over benefits from doing lighter weight with the SSB to the higher weights of SSB, I'm good. Seems like a major benefit is it forces you forward more, which forces you to keep in line some. Probably said that confusing LOL

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you think it's harder doing squats with the SSB, try doing them with a 14" camber bar. It really hits the core and quads in a way that BB squats don't. I have noticed a good carryover when going back to BB squats. This is a bar I made from scrap pipe and steel. I'd like to add a SSB at some point also.

Attached Images
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    If you think it's harder doing squats with the SSB, try doing them with a 14" camber bar. It really hits the core and quads in a way that BB squats don't. I have noticed a good carryover when going back to BB squats. This is a bar I made from scrap pipe and steel. I'd like to add a SSB at some point also.

Wow... Nice work on the camber bar. Looks pretty sweet

2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Grandpa, well done on the cambered bar! Repped.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #47
    ()---() York Barbell Club #46 (DD) ()---()

During the last few reps of a true 20RM squat, just do what Jesus tells you.--Mark Rippetoe

61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rvfraley View Post
    I have been squatting a while with a Rogue straight Oly bar. I recently purchased the Black Widow Safety Squat bar. The bar is beautiful...as usual, Dean does great work. Love all my BWTG equipment.

However, maybe it's because I'm just not used to the weight distribution of the two bars, but I'm having a much more difficult time using the SSB (I've only used it twice thus far).

Two questions:

Thanks

Ryan
    IIRC, Ryan, Westside Barbell uses SSB work for Deadlift help. They feel the forced upright Squat of a SSB helps strengthen the back for the Deadlift.
    Whatever wrinkles I face in life, I know hittin' the weights will IRON them out
    It pains me to take a day off for there is much weight to be lifted and life is short
    Lifting does require weighting for results
    Lifting well is the best revenge
    To lift like no one else,lift like no one else
    Favorite Soap Opera: One Life to Lift
    www.********.com/groups/StroongmanArchaeology/
    ()---() York Barbell Club #61 ()---() YORK DD 35s ()---()
    ()---() YORK DD 75s ()---() YORK DD 20 Kg ()---()

maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) maltralson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm on starting strength and I plan on rotating my ssb through on bench days, and keeping low bar on ohp day.

I bought the bar because my shoulders get a little grumpy with low bar squats and I figured switching it out would alleviate some shoulder strain.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #67 []---[]

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I got a squat bar recently and I'm still trying to get my groove with it. What I did find is it help my balance to tilt the pad handles up a bit as I lower into the squat. Maybe that's standard procedure I dunno lol
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 61PWCC View Post
    IIRC, Ryan, Westside Barbell uses SSB work for Deadlift help. They feel the forced upright Squat of a SSB helps strengthen the back for the Deadlift.
    not just the back, but the quads for breaking the bar off the floor.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler