Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post
    Where is the Can Am Spyder thread?
    between the "how to choose the right tampon" thread and the "is it safe to swallow during pregnancy" thread.

sorry DN, i had to.
    Axe, author of "No Limits - No Regrets"
    record breaker for fastest motorcycle ride across America

|progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So what would you guys recommend starting out on? Have ridden ATV's for a while as my transportation at the hunting lease, very limited Motocross bike experience, and now I'm wanting to get a Harley or Victory to ride on the road, which I've never been on. Everywhere you look, there's tons of people saying don't start on anything bigger than a 600 or 750, but I'm a big dude (315) and worried those for me are going to end up being like a 250 is to the average joe and wanting to dump it a month after I get it. There's a few V Twin 750's here in the metroplex for sale that I can get cheap (less than $2500) to start on, just concerned I'll want to get out of it quick. I can afford to get a new 883 or a Fat Bob, etc, so I'm not opposed to getting one out the gate, just trying to get some input since road riding is new to me.

What would you guys recommend?
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by |progress| View Post
    So what would you guys recommend starting out on? Have ridden ATV's for a while as my transportation at the hunting lease, very limited Motocross bike experience, and now I'm wanting to get a Harley or Victory to ride on the road, which I've never been on. Everywhere you look, there's tons of people saying don't start on anything bigger than a 600 or 750, but I'm a big dude (315) and worried those for me are going to end up being like a 250 is to the average joe and wanting to dump it a month after I get it. There's a few V Twin 750's here in the metroplex for sale that I can get cheap (less than $2500) to start on, just concerned I'll want to get out of it quick. I can afford to get a new 883 or a Fat Bob, etc, so I'm not opposed to getting one out the gate, just trying to get some input since road riding is new to me.

I'd recommend taking a MSF Basic Rider Training course. You can ride one of their bikes for a couple days, get a feel for the power of a 250 street bike, and it will make you more confident when you go to test ride some bigger bikes. Problem with bigger bikes is, sometimes the weight is hard to control for a new rider, and you can get in trouble fast if you panic twist the throttle. It's best to master turning and throttle control on a less powerful bike first.

Some Harley dealerships offer rider training programs, too. They'll usually start you out on an 883. They also can have rental programs, where you can rent different Harleys for a day or two, before dropping a wad of cash on a bike you may want to trade in in a month. And other brand dealerships regularly have test ride days, where they bring out their lineup and let people go for a short group ride on various models. Call around.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000)

agree w/ IC on taking a course and seeing how you feel. i've always been more of a buy what you'll want long term vs. starting small, but most people with more sense would say otherwise. the 883 is nice cuz you can punch it up to a 1200, but at your size, might not feel right on it. i weigh 100lb less and was told i looked goofy on my sporty, but i felt fine on it. sit on as many models as you can at the dealer and see what feels right. don't worry about too much power on those. not like you're hopping on a 200 hp 400lb bike or anything.

|progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) |progress| is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yea, I've already looked into the safety course, going to take it either next weekend or the one after, just haven't registered yet. It waives the skills test for your license in Texas, so it's pretty much a no brainer. I looked into the Harley course, but it's full until mid-September, so I'm just going to go somewhere else to do it. That is my concern with the 883 that it's going to be too small dimensionally for me, but I'll just have to see. I'll look into the rental part, didn't think about that and probably a smart thing to do. Couple of my buddies that ride are telling me to start on an 1100 or bigger, keep telling me I'll ramp up quick to it and want that power when I need it.

Thanks for the input fellas.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

Yea, I've already looked into the safety course, going to take it either next weekend or the one after, just haven't registered yet. It waives the skills test for your license in Texas, so it's pretty much a no brainer. I looked into the Harley course, but it's full until mid-September, so I'm just going to go somewhere else to do it. That is my concern with the 883 that it's going to be too small dimensionally for me, but I'll just have to see. I'll look into the rental part, didn't think about that and probably a smart thing to do. Couple of my buddies that ride are telling me to start on an 1100 or bigger, keep telling me I'll ramp up quick to it and want that power when I need it.

my buddy just retired and took the class last week, looked at bikes with him, and he bought a heritage classic. was just what fit him and his plans the best. one thing i told him was him being not as experienced and how fuggin slick these TX roads are, to pony up the extra $ for anti-lock brakes. might be something to consider, but puts you up in the price bracket too.

Originally Posted by texasaxe View Post
    my buddy just retired and took the class last week, looked at bikes with him, and he bought a heritage classic. was just what fit him and his plans the best. one thing i told him was him being not as experienced and how fuggin slick these TX roads are, to pony up the extra $ for anti-lock brakes. might be something to consider, but puts you up in the price bracket too.
    Yea, heard that from a few folks around here. And know from my truck....bitch will spin the rear wheels whenever she wants.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) El Fuerte has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    Not a Sportster (No rear shocks visible), it's a very modified Big Twin. I'm guessing it's a Softail Slim with a Dyna front wheel and fender.
    thanks

TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Got my bike out for a little shake down ride today. Just rebuilt the front shocks, neck bearings and front brake pads. Rides soo much better.

I still have an issue with one brake dragging and I can't figure it out. Might need to enlist some professional help .

US Army 1998-2020

Army NG 1992-98

★Combat Veterans Crew★

Texas Tech Alumni '98 & '07

�Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.� ~ Aristotle

*Vasectomy crew

Originally Posted by TXBuddy View Post
    Got my bike out for a little shake down ride today. Just rebuilt the front shocks, neck bearings and front brake pads. Rides soo much better.

I still have an issue with one brake dragging and I can't figure it out. Might need to enlist some professional help .

that would be a shovelhead, so guessing you have the banana calipers on it. if i had to guess, your brake is dragging (likely rear) because the pin has egged out the hole. you can get a kit that allows a bigger pin and bore out the bracket to accommodate. that was a little better, but when i finally just put GMA brakes all around, was one of the best improvements i ever did to the bike.

TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    that would be a shovelhead, so guessing you have the banana calipers on it. if i had to guess, your brake is dragging (likely rear) because the pin has egged out the hole. you can get a kit that allows a bigger pin and bore out the bracket to accommodate. that was a little better, but when i finally just put GMA brakes all around, was one of the best improvements i ever did to the bike.
    Well, the front end is ~81. Not sure if that is the same as you are referencing. I did tear it apart, clean and rebuilt it. It is just a metal piston, really. I wonder if it has something to do with the fluid or lines. The left side doesn't seem to have a problem and they are on a Y split from the master cylinder.
    US Army 1998-2020

Army NG 1992-98

★Combat Veterans Crew★

*Vasectomy crew

Originally Posted by TXBuddy View Post
    Well, the front end is ~81. Not sure if that is the same as you are referencing. I did tear it apart, clean and rebuilt it. It is just a metal piston, really. I wonder if it has something to do with the fluid or lines. The left side doesn't seem to have a problem and they are on a Y split from the master cylinder.
    the front doesn't look exactly like what i remember the banana ones, but i don't know if they had same issue or not. wasn't the piston on mine, was the pin that holds the caliper to the bracket.

when you cleaned out the piston and everything, did the piston actuate smoothly and you could force it back in?

Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Find out what day Don does the motorcycle class for "go motorcycle training" in the Irving location. He's a great instructor. I used him for mine at the beginning of June after reading reviews of courses.
    Dallas Sports/Texas Tech Red Raiders
    ****Dallas Misc Crew****
    bb.com's Jiu Jitsu team
    Beer Crew
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***

Never quit, because only the strong survive.

Originally Posted by Ben6485 View Post
    Find out what day Don does the motorcycle class for "go motorcycle training" in the Irving location. He's a great instructor. I used him for mine at the beginning of June after reading reviews of courses.
    He's the one I was looking at. The other is the one that's at the Stockyards, which is super convenient for me since I live in downtown FW.
    "Just Get It Off"
    Fightin' Texas Aggie
    MFC
    RIP YGST

the front doesn't look exactly like what i remember the banana ones, but i don't know if they had same issue or not. wasn't the piston on mine, was the pin that holds the caliper to the bracket.

when you cleaned out the piston and everything, did the piston actuate smoothly and you could force it back in?
    I lubed it up with brake fluid and it went right in. I may need to lube up the caliper pins and braket. The free floating action could be jacked.
    US Army 1998-2020

Army NG 1992-98

★Combat Veterans Crew★

*Vasectomy crew

Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey everyone, hope it's cool if I drop in. I'm in the market for a bike. Don't mind me k just want to learn/research from you all. May ask a question here and there if that's ok.
    I know who I am. And after all these years, there’s a victory in that.

All liberals deserve death

*Proud member of the misc 767 & USA vs. Germany world cup ban
    -People who say money can't buy happiness, have never paid the adoption fee at the pound and went home with a new best friend
    *There's no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad dog owner

If you see myself and swoleyo in a thread, remind me to rep him.

slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here's a few of my recent pictures, because pictures

My Victory Gunner

My Vic and a buddy's Harley

slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slumerican is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Uno mas...

Buddy's big wheel Victory Cross Country

Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Kickass pictures ^ up there

-People who say money can't buy happiness, have never paid the adoption fee at the pound and went home with a new best friend

jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    FROM THIS PAST WEEKEND

It is better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees

a coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but one.

The odds are great
    But my spirit is strong,
    My faith unbreakable,
    My blood is pure.
    I SHALL ENDURE!
    I WILL ENDURE!

the strength of a gesture, a thought with no voice

Please see stats. If I post some links to different bikes, can you guys give me advice on if they are good deals?

Originally Posted by Motiviert View Post
    Please see stats. If I post some links to different bikes, can you guys give me advice on if they are good deals?
    all relative and not going to get good input that way IMO. My suggestion would be decide what bike you want, then go look for best deal on it with features you want. just my $0.02.

all relative and not going to get good input that way IMO. My suggestion would be decide what bike you want, then go look for best deal on it with features you want. just my $0.02.
    Thanks man. Well, if I pick out a few, could you guys tell me if the pricing us relatively fair?

Thanks man. Well, if I pick out a few, could you guys tell me if the pricing us relatively fair?
    as long as you bear in mind 'fair' is a relative term. i've seen bikes bought and sold for way high or way low, but if the buyer and seller both walk away happy, that's what matters.

best thing i can recommend is find a biker buddy to take with you to look at them first hand, test drive them. i've done that for new bike buddies before. that's always going to be the best approach than trying to estimate value from an ebay ad. again, just my $0.02. we can tell you generally it's in line, but the test is the face headlight.

Resident MTB crash expert MtnJax's Avatar
    MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MtnJax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this is just my .02 coming from my recent experience of buying my first bike, but if you're looking on craiglist, you'll find that a lot of people over value their bikes, especially when it comes to ones with the initials HD. so just be weary of that.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

**Official Bicycle Crew** Ờờ
    Rule #5: Harden the fuk up!

❄ ❄ ❄ ❄Official Misc Ski/Snowboard Crew❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

**KNEE DRAGGERS CREW**

as long as you bear in mind 'fair' is a relative term. i've seen bikes bought and sold for way high or way low, but if the buyer and seller both walk away happy, that's what matters.

best thing i can recommend is find a biker buddy to take with you to look at them first hand, test drive them. i've done that for new bike buddies before. that's always going to be the best approach than trying to estimate value from an ebay ad. again, just my $0.02. we can tell you generally it's in line, but the test is the face headlight.
    Haha weird, lifting partner rides and just text me saying "Bro let me come with you. I'll help you in the right direction.

jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaygee15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

The odds are great
    But my spirit is strong,
    My faith unbreakable,
    My blood is pure.
    I SHALL ENDURE!
    I WILL ENDURE!

The odds are great
    But my spirit is strong,
    My faith unbreakable,
    My blood is pure.
    I SHALL ENDURE!
    I WILL ENDURE!

The odds are great
    But my spirit is strong,
    My faith unbreakable,
    My blood is pure.
    I SHALL ENDURE!
    I WILL ENDURE!

A buddy of mine is selling his 71 shovel. Top notch bike. You can find him on IG or chopcult if interested. His username is in the pic.

US Army 1998-2020

Army NG 1992-98

★Combat Veterans Crew★

*Vasectomy crew