hiflight777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long does it take for Biceps to get ANY stronger??

Greetings,

So I am recently started a new work out program to attempt to get into better shape, and granted its day 2, but being a 37 year old male, and granted after several other bicep exercise, even starting weight on 4 sets of barbell curls is 10 maybe 20 pounds. Is there anything i can look forward to in terms of bicep size and relative strength anytime? Any feedback would be greatly motivating.

CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are starting from zero, you can only go up. The key to improving yourself, in anything for that matter, is persistence and consistency. Generally,
    it's good to know what your limits are in an exercise, and then do sets within percentages of that limit. I don't believe you can only curl 10 or 20 pounds...
    these are weights we encounter getting a container of laundry soap into a shopping cart! LOL.

What I'd suggest, is picking a weight that you can do a solid 8-12 reps with using good form, and then increase the weight a bit each workout...it takes time
    but that is what we all do. Are you training in a gym, or at home? One other thing to remember, it takes about 3 months to really notice big changes. If you
    are 6ft, 202, you can't be very overweight right? If you are training at a gym, I'd suggest a trainer for a few sessions to get you going.

Keep at it!
    "Common sense is not so common".

does curls in power racks yaaar's Avatar
    yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Which program are you starting?

There's a difference between strength and size, if you're looking to get big biceps here are some nice programs that can help: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...ge=HSTPrograms
    Don't listen to me, I'm in terrible shape.

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ S̶m̶2̶s̶m̶ Bm2bm crew (---S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar to S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar---)

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hard to say. I can get back to straight barbell curls with 135 pretty quickly when I focus on them, but past that.... Very slow.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hiflight777 View Post
    Greetings,

So I am recently started a new work out program to attempt to get into better shape, and granted its day 2, but being a 37 year old male, and granted after several other bicep exercise, even starting weight on 4 sets of barbell curls is 10 maybe 20 pounds. Is there anything i can look forward to in terms of bicep size and relative strength anytime? Any feedback would be greatly motivating.
    use progression.

you started with 4 sets of 10 with say 20lbs right?

next workout do 4 sets of 10 with 25lbs. Add weight each time. It's easy, you can track your progress. I wouldn't go nuts with poundage increases but if you feel like you can do it make a bigger jump (more than 5lbs at a time).

hiflight777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So far you all motivate the piss out of me, I am actually embarking on Shortcut to Size, week one day 3 tomorrow....so that whole rest pause thing...yeah, its an ass kicker.

I am training at a gym "Snap Fitness" in Yuma AZ. I am getting the "tips" that us tall guys, it is hard to develop any kinds of bicep beef or meat of sorts...i dont believe that truly, but nonetheless, i am only on the beginning of this trek, and some people are telling me wait for week 4 or so to have any noticable weight improvements on arms. Im hoping with a little, or in my case a crap ton of motivation and discipline, i can get to see some results. Im by no means out of shape or fat, just kinda smaller arms...sucky i know!

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    7, although some will argue 42.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hiflight777 View Post
    and granted after several other bicep exercise, even starting weight on 4 sets of barbell curls is 10 maybe 20 pounds.
    What do you mean after several other bicep exercises?

If you're new to lifting and want to get stronger, you should be running a program for building strength. Your main focus should be the important compound lifts: bench, rows, overhead press, squats, deads, pullups, chin-ups, dips, etc...

Get stronger in the lifts above and your biceps will get stronger. Biceps are a small muscle and isolation work should be the least of your worries in a beginner program.

StrongLifts 5 x 5

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

Bill Star’s 5 x 5 Programs

http://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

Starting Strength Routine

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Registered User PersonaNonGrata's Avatar
    PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000)
    Put the barbell down and do chinups/pullups
    I know i'm skinny, and i know my abs don't count

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
    Put the barbell down and do chinups/pullups
    normally, if this was a true BB thread, I would say terrible advice, however, in light of the fact that the OP is looking for motivation already in only day 2 of his ephiphany, it probably doesn't make any difference whatsoever....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000)
    Okay, like all guys I wanted bigger biceps.

Problem is, for years I didn't really know what the f*ck that I was doing in the weight room, and never had much proper instruction on how to lift.

Used to spend a lot of (wasted) time doing curls of all types. Negligible gains.

---

You don't see huge branches on trees that have small trunks.

Likewise it's difficult to hang big arms on a body that has a small or weak core.

Strong legs -> Strong core -> Strong upper body --> Strong Shoulders --> Then bigger arms

----

My advise; Drop the barbell and DB bicep work to about 2-5% of what you do in the gym.

Concentrate on leg work and core. When I say core, for me what that means is how you lock/brace your core when doing squats and deadlifts

* I will add the fact that I can do chin ups and pull ups until hell freezes over. It has never helped my biceps grow.
    I'm going to take the Sc0liosis curve out of my back and eliminate my nerve pain

a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I actually didn't see the "after several" movements comment in the original post.

If you are starting out you need to "trim the fat". Drop the other movements, pick 1 or 2 and focus on them. You're bi's are small muscles relative to the rest of your body and they are worked during back work.

they don't need a ton of different movements.

if I were telling you what to do I'd have you doing barbell curls, DB curls or I'd swap one of those 2 out with a preacher curl.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    normally, if this was a true BB thread, I would say terrible advice, however, in light of the fact that the OP is looking for motivation already in only day 2 of his ephiphany, it probably doesn't make any difference whatsoever....
    Aint nothing wrong with chinups bro!
    David

PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why terrible advice? Chin ups are like squats for the arms, they are a great compound exercise

mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000) mandm001 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 67fastback View Post
    Okay, like all guys I wanted bigger biceps.

Problem is, for years I didn't really know what the f*ck that I was doing in the weight room, and never had much proper instruction on how to lift.

Used to spend a lot of (wasted) time doing curls of all types. Negligible gains.

---

You don't see huge branches on trees that have small trunks.

Likewise it's difficult to hang big arms on a body that has a small or weak core.

Strong legs -> Strong core -> Strong upper body --> Strong Shoulders --> Then bigger arms

----

My advise; Drop the barbell and DB bicep work to about 2-5% of what you do in the gym.

Concentrate on leg work and core. When I say core, for me what that means is how you lock/brace your core when doing squats and deadlifts

* I will add the fact that I can do chin ups and pull ups until hell freezes over. It has never helped my biceps grow.
    This. Do you want massive biceps? Never curl anything... ever... not even by accident. Isolate your glutes and do calf raises 6 times a week, no sorry only twice because you will overtrain your biceps (srs). Also no fap, no shampoo, and no pillow. Don't mention this secret to anyone or you will get permabanned. Just keep it to yourself and fuk the haters bruh.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Aint nothing wrong with chinups bro!
    Why terrible advice? Chin ups are like squats for the arms, they are a great compound exercise
    let's not even BEGIN to get into a "substitute chinups for BB/DB exercises for arms" argument.....

it is silly and pointless and goes nowhere.....ALL of the great arms that many of you so slavishly admire on ALL of the greatest BBers of all times, were built with various curls...period.....

of course there is nothing wrong with chin ups!!! EVERY exercise, if it AGREES with your skeletal structure, is good for you, however, when you are talking specifically about building up arms PAST the normal point of growth, it is NOT going to happen with just auxilliary movements..it will come from direct arm work, as it has, forever, for all of the great arms out there.....

Jumping Jacks are wonderful for you, right? fitness wise....but if someone were to come on here and suggest replacing squats with Jumping jacks for building champion legs, would you agree??

so again, please, for the sake of wasted band space in this wonderful online forum ( lol ), lets avoid the usual argument.....

lets avoid the usual argument.....
    Ok, but..... the thread is about getting stronger, not admiring huge arms

BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    If i were starting from scratch, I would keep it simple:

Squat
    bench
    deadlifts
    rows
    chins
    military press
    FOOD
    sleep
    My Home Gym:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1070090281&viewfull=1#post1070090281

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's also about a guy who has been lifting 2 days. He is probably not quite up there with "the greatest BBers of all time" yet.

He is probably years away from needing isolation exercises. I know I am.
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    let's not even BEGIN to get into a "substitute chinups for BB/DB exercises for arms" argument.....

it is silly and pointless and goes nowhere.....ALL of the great arms that many of you so slavishly admire on ALL of the greatest BBers of all times, were built with various curls...period.....

of course there is nothing wrong with chin ups!!! EVERY exercise, if it AGREES with your skeletal structure, is good for you, however, when you are talking specifically about building up arms PAST the normal point of growth, it is NOT going to happen with just auxilliary movements..it will come from direct arm work, as it has, forever, for all of the great arms out there.....

Jumping Jacks are wonderful for you, right? fitness wise....but if someone were to come on here and suggest replacing squats with Jumping jacks for building champion legs, would you agree??

so again, please, for the sake of wasted band space in this wonderful online forum ( lol ), lets avoid the usual argument.....
    Comparing chinups to jumping jacks? Lol... I'm not saying that curls aren't good, but you are WAY OFF on your assessment of chinups.
    David

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    lets avoid the usual argument.....
    Have to say I think for a relatively limited workout, chinups (varying grip width) are going to be much better then just curls.

Sure if you are a professional bb'r, you try to hit every possible angle and stimulate in every way possible. But for the average guy, a nice compound movement like chins are going to do a lot more.

Even for a fairly advanced guys, curls are not necessary. I have decent arms some might say. Yet I maybe to 2 sets of direct curls in a weeks time (at the end of a workout). I do however do LOTS of pullups and rows.

I think having newb doing tons of isolation is not the best way. I even believe that many guys with more development waste too much time and energy on iso movements.

YMMV, but chins in my book are right up on top with a great overall mass builder.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

although the TITLE of the post said stronger, I quote the OP himself in his opening post:

Is there anything i can look forward to in terms of bicep sizeand relative strength anytime? Any feedback would be greatly motivating.