mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Running & Strength training - am I accomplishing anything?

Hello,

I am a new member on this forum. Some quick info on me: I am 52, I've been a distance runner for over 25years. I have been doing CrossFit for just over 1 year. I tried it just for a new challenge, never planning for it to replace, only suppliment my running. I have since put a hold on CrossFit as I have been battling a bad case of sciaitca since last Oct that is unwilling to heal, something had to give. I am recovering and currently running 4-5 days per week around 25 miles per week, soom to build to around 30. I have come to the conclusion that the barbell training/ lifting is the part of CrossFit that I love. So I have set myself up with a nice workout area in my basement. I am currently weight training twice per week, but now that my body is recovering, I plan to increase that to 3 times. So, my ultimate plan is 4-5 running days, 3 weight training days. I run distance because I simply love it, I have a newfound love of weight training and have seen results on this old body that I haven't seen in over 25 years of running! So I want both!
    My question to you is this, there is so much online regarding the conflict between distance running and weight training, is it really not possible to do both? If I continue to do both, am I accomplishing anything or is the one negating the benefits of the other?
    Also, you all seem to have a lot of knowledge about how to train, I've found a lot online but hard to find something that benefits me as a distance runner. Can you review the training plan that I am using now and let me know if it is way off base, and if there is something that I should change? I am lifting more reps and lighter weights than I was doing in these same lifts in CrossFit. I'll list my 1rep max's for these lfits and what I am currently lifting in my new program.

My Plan:

A
    Back squats 4x8 (currently 60 lbs)
    Push Ups 4x8 (I do 4 strict push ups and the remainder of set on knees)
    Dumb bell rows 4x16 (currently 20 lbs)
    Planks

B
    Deadlifts 4x5 (currently 70 lbs)
    Strict press 4x8 (currently 47 lbs)
    Chin ups 4x5 (w/ single blue band)
    Planks

The plan suggests that once you achieve 4x8 in the lift, you increase the weight by 5 lbs.
    My 1 rep max's for the above lifts are:

Deadlfit 149
    Back Squat 133
    Strict Press 70
    bench Press 80

Is there anything that you would change fo rme?
    thank you so much!

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good on your for doing BB lifts . Where is your bench in that program? I would replace pushups with bench. I must say that is one of the least stupid newbie program critiques I've seen here in a *long* time, kudos! However, getting on something like Starting Strength, even if just 2x/wk for now before increasing to 3 would be an even better way to go.

As far as running and lifting - the biggest problems are when people don't eat enough for the amount of activity, and/or lack of recovery time. What are your stats - height/weight? You likely need to eat quite a bit (heading towards 3k+ depending on stats) - make sure you monitor scale weight to make sure you aren't losing too quickly, or that you are gaining sufficiently (depending on stats/goals). With recovery, I would make sure you slowly increase mileage and lifting volume, and try to time running so it's not so close to squats, etc.

With the sciatia issue, make sure your form is spot-on for lifts, as well as with the running. I would look into mobility drills, and get a foam roller and work on your glutes and hips especially.

Welcome, and good luck!
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50) mom2sethc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you Birdiefu!

I have done the bnech press, and can add it back. I just don't always have a spotter at home so I substitute with the push ups.
    I have the SS book and have thought about the program, but was just a little worried that it might be a bit much for me with regards to my running and age, maybe not though. I could stick with twice per week, but I am anxious to do 3. I'm even willing to run less so that I can balance in the weights. I used to run 6 days per week and run marathons, now I am running 4 and doing half marathons.
    I would have no problem not eating enough! hee hee!! I'm 5'3" 138 lbs. I started CrossFit at around 135, quickly lost about 6 lbs, then gained to the 138 that I am at right now.
    With regard to the sciatica, yes, I am being extra cautious with regards to form, and that is why I am lifting half the weight I was lifting in CrossFit. I'm seeing a chiro/ sports doc and doing daily excersices for my back.
    Chiro knows I am lifting and he is ok with it.
    Thank you for your suggestions!

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you know the cause of the sciatica? It's one of those ailments that can be related to any number of things. A lot of runners get it as a side effect of piriformis syndrome (which basically means you need to strengthen the glute medius and make sure to keep glutes activated, way too many runners have underactive glutes or are massively quad dominant--it's not anyone's fault, but it's a potential hazard of performing a repetitive forward movement like that).

But deadlifting with improper form is also a good way to exacerbate sciatica.

So, it's good that you're seeing a doctor, but you might also take a look at form, hip tightness, muscle activation, and other things you may be able to do to prevent your sciatica from returning or getting worse.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Hello shesprints!

cause of my sciatica - yes and no. I herniated my L5/S1 11 years ago (long before I was weight training), no surgery, had pt and resumed running. Ever since the injury I have had permanent numbmess down the back of my leg and into the 2 little left toes. It has never stopped me from running though. From time to time my back will get irrirated for whatever reason and I will get sciatica. It hangs around for a little while and then goes away.
    I am doing a series of daily exercises to do just what you suggest with regards to my glutes,hips etc also for the back to allieviate the pressure.
    I don't know what flared it up this last time, but it doesn't want to depart! I dropped CrossFit for now, just to see if it could have been something that I was doing there that caused it. I have always been cautious about my form and very patient with the weight that I was lifting. I bought SS and feel that I am doing the lifts in proper form. I am also lifting a lot less than I am capable of right now, specifically to focus on form.
    I am getting better though! It just seems to be a slow process. boo hoo!
    Thank you for you response!