garyogden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

56 year old weight loss question

Hi Guys,
    First post, Just started back in gym doing 3 days a week arms, shoulders, chest, back, legs etc. I am looking for a quick way to loose belly fat, any ideas welcome!
    Need further info please ask.

OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm not qualified to offer specific advice, but I will offer the following:
    1. There is no quick way - it takes time. It didn't grow quickly so it won't go quickly.
    2. Fat loss is largely about what you put in your mouth, and less about what you do with your body.

Hope this helps and you find what you're looking for.
    Lift heavy things, eat according to your goals.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As posted above there there no shortcuts to losing fat, but it comes off pretty quickly when a a combination of solid training and good diet are put in place. Look at the nutrition stickies and read through the Emma Leigh post about calculating macros and weighing food. It's a proven way to establish what your consuming and dial in your proper macro ratios. There are various proven pre-established beginning strength training programs in the exercise section. The combination of those two things and a few months will lead to some positive results.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Diet is the only trick to losing the belly.

I had some carne asada fries yesterday. 2400 calories in one meal.

I would have to have run a full marathon to out train that meal.

A couple days a week on the bench press isnt going to do anything for you.

get your diet straight and you will see results by this time next weekend.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There is no quick way, not even starvation. Being lean ia about consistency on your meals more then on your workouts. You can can't out train a bad diet. There are an average of 21 meals in a week, one Carne Asada on a night out isn't going to derail you as long as the other meals are at a deficit calorie. Find out your daily maintenance calories and eat 500* less calories of that a day and you should drop weight. Read the stickies in the nutrition forum.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

* I aim for 600 calories deficit

NiceGuyTom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cut out sugar, drink water, lower carb intakes, maybe chill on dairy if you take in a lot and don't process it well. Just eat cleaner in general. I've found Green Tea and Cayenne Pepper once a day to be a nice little metabolism boost. It also sounds like your routine may be a bit split oriented which imo works better for people with a bunch of muscle pushing mad weights or crazy roid volume routines. Maybe consider a full body routine like Fierce 5 which can be found on the forums. Lifting legs is probably the best way to gain some muscle which will up your metabolism.

Other than that sleep and manage stress lol! In a perfect world my workouts weekly would look like this - MWF 3 day full body strength training, 2-3 days of 20-45 minutes low heart rate cardio like walking the dog or a slow paced row, 1-2 HIIT / Sprint interval workouts in the 15-20 min range, and 1 day of core exercises / balance training. Sounds like a lot but that can pretty much be done in 4-7 hrs a week.

Good luck!

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can lose fat while eating sugar, carbs and dairy. Moderation, macro knowledge as well as knowing and staying within your limit will work without driving you crazy and ultimately quitting.

Instead of cutting out half the grocery store, head over the nutritional section and read the stickies OP. A couple hours of reading along with some basic math and you'll be surprised at how uncomplicated basic weight control really can be.

I know I was.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Registered User PersonaNonGrata's Avatar
    PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000)
    There is a quick way, if you're feeling brave and you have the willpower. Well, i'll qualify that a bit - its a quick way to make a head start, but its not something you want to do for more than a couple of weeks - PSMF diet.

It does work, but it has a few downsides as you'll discover if you google it.
    I know i'm skinny, and i know my abs don't count

brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
    There is a quick way, if you're feeling brave and you have the willpower. Well, i'll qualify that a bit - its a quick way to make a head start, but its not something you want to do for more than a couple of weeks - PSMF diet.

It does work, but it has a few downsides as you'll discover if you google it.
    PSMF - Correct me if I'm wrong but PSMF really isn't recommended for people first starting out and honestly isn't needed. It's typically more for people looking to lose that last bit of stubborn belly fat isn't it? I personally would never recommend it to someone just getting started.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #26 ()---()
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #34 ||---||
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #74 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #10 ──<//>─<\\>──

Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150771833

Registered User PersonaNonGrata's Avatar
    PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000) PersonaNonGrata is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by brucedelaney View Post
    PSMF - Correct me if I'm wrong but PSMF really isn't recommended for people first starting out and honestly isn't needed. It's typically more for people looking to lose that last bit of stubborn belly fat isn't it? I personally would never recommend it to someone just getting started.
    I'll correct you It's actually derived from a medical/prescription diet used to prep (untrained and morbidly obese) people for gastric band surgery. These people go on the diet under medical supervision.

It's a "snail crawling on a straight razor" for people who are already lean, as the risk of muscle loss is high due to the huge calorie deficit
    I know i'm skinny, and i know my abs don't count

CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100) CNoteLA is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's not the 3 hours a day that you're spending in the gym that's going to help you lose belly fat, gain muscle, or lose weight. It's the other 23 hours of the day that count! You didn't get that extra belly fat in a couple of hours a week.. you're not gonna lose it that way either. It's about making lifestyle changes that you will be consistent with.
    You are what you do consistently.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You waited 56 years to ask that question?!
    David

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CNoteLA View Post
    It's not the 3 hours a day that you're spending in the gym that's going to help you lose belly fat, gain muscle, or lose weight. It's the other 23 hours of the day that count! .

Loooooooooooooong days in your part of the planet.....

want a quick fix op, lypo.....or bust yer ass in the kitchen, gym and ride it out.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AncientYouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    You waited 56 years to ask that question?!
    never too late to make a positive change in your life

jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AncientYouth View Post
    never too late to make a positive change in your life
    Completely agreed! Just be thankful you got the inspiration to get up off of the couch of do-nothing!

jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmcnab will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by garyogden View Post
    Hi Guys,
    First post, Just started back in gym doing 3 days a week arms, shoulders, chest, back, legs etc. I am looking for a quick way to loose belly fat, any ideas welcome!
    Need further info please ask.
    Hi
    Great job in making a commitment to your health! First off, you can do it - all you have to do is have a solid nutritional plan in place, cardio and weight training. Once you get that dialed in, it's simply a matter of consistency. Unfortunately, there's no way to spot reduce fat. You can do crunches until the cows come home and it won't drop belly fat. That's going to be more about hitting a deficit every day for your intake. For me, keeping my macros at about 55% protein 35% carbs and 10% fat has been effective.

Keep a journal of your workouts and log your food intake each and every day. When I started my transformation last year, I weighed 253, 38% body fat and at 5'8" it was mostly all around my gut. I had a no pack! It's been just over a year and last Saturday I weighed 173.8 with 19.4% body fat. I went from a size 46" waist pant to 30". However even at that weight and waist size I still have the last little bit of stubborn belly fat. I no have a 4 pack because the last two are still slightly hidden. Everybody on this post that's told you it's going to take time have give you true and honest advice. It's not going to come from a pill or a million crunches. Train your abs (and the rest of your muscles!) and let diet and cardio handle the rest. That, more than any supplement, is going to get you there. But like somebody said, you didn't grow a belly over night and it's not going away that quickly either.

Obtuse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is an old saying "Abs are made in the kitchen". This statement could not be more true. If you want to lose weight, diet is the only thing that will undoubtedly work. You do need to pay attention to your Macros, but the rest of weight loss can be boiled down to consuming less calories (your deficit) than you burn throughout the day (your TDEE). Calculate your TDEE (Todal Daily Energy Expenditure) and subtract ~500 calories, then start counting everything you put in your mouth.

It is often recommended these days to not think of your weight loss effort as a diet, as diets are by their very nature temporary. Its better to consider it a lifestyle change. Just a note, the best decision I ever made in the process of losing weight was to stop drinking soda. Its just too easy to consume too many calories drinking soda. (One average soda is roughly the caloric equivalent to a 1mile jog for a 200lb person)

That said, I feel there is a place for strength training while overweight. If you start training seriously, say three times a week, while sticking to a decent beginner program (I did Starting Strength from Rippetoe), then you will be building muscle during the process of losing weight. This method of strength training plus caloric deficit has many benefits, including increasing your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and energy level, all while getting more fit.

It gets tricky though, because as you work on your diet and strength train, you will be losing fat while building muscle, so your weight may not change for a long time. My recommendation is to ignore the scale and pay attention to the mirror, it will be the best indicator of progress during the first six months or so.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Obtuse; 08-12-2014 at 12:30 PM.

PlanoDano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am your age and went from 254 to 196 in less than a year. I have a few tips.

Get into a contest with a few overweight friends.
    Weekly weigh ins with trash talk and encouragement are very helpful.

Get on a diet plan to begin creating a lifestyle change.
    I used paleo but I have seen others have success with South Beach or Adkins.
    I currently use the macros outlined in the nutritional forum but I honestly could not have met the macros early on without a diet that disallowed certain foods. I do not believe eating like a cave man made me lose the weight but it did get me off all the cr@p foods and processed foods which make it impossible to meet your macros. I am no longer on a strict paleo and track my diet with myfitnesspal.com. To this day if I decide to indulge in a couple of pieces of Pizza I will bust my calorie target for the day.

If you consume diet drinks lose them.
    I don't understand why it was impossible for me to maintain a diet while consuming 0 calorie drinks but it was. Love some water. Lots of water.
    Lose any sports drinks.

Cardio is not bad when you are losing weight.
    When I started losing weight I began every workout with 30 minutes on the recumbent bike. I invested in a heart rate monitor because I never could get the ones on the bike to work properly. I would increase the resistance to work my heart rate up to between 120-125 I would keep it at that rate for 5 minutes the increase from 145-150 for 3 minutes the decrease and repeat. The guy that used to ride the bike next tom me every day is still there riding an hour a a day at the same leisurely pace and he is still as fat as ever.

When I started losing weight I used the machines and did a full body routine 3 day a week. I use only free weights now and do a split routine but I think it was the right decision to start how I did. I also strove to keep my heart rate up while lifting. I would do this by doing another exercise while resting. Example curls the tricep extension then repeat.

Walk the dog for three miles each night even if you do not have one.

Get proper reset, I like between 7 and 8 hours a night. Feels good and you cannot break your diet while sleeping.

garyogden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hi

Thanks for all your help and guidance.