MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

225lb Squat 5x5 3rd set form check

225lbs - my PR right now for 5x5 is 235 but I took a week off of my ICF routine because work sent me way out of town with no gym in sight so I dropped down to 225.

MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MikePlow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is my last form check video @ 200:

Any improvements? Anything change that shouldn't have?

Thanks!

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You look stooped over with an exaggerated arch in your lower back when you are setting up to squat. I get the sense you are trying to emphasize the idea of "breaking at the hips", but it's clear to me you aren't bracing your abs properly. Your torso and pelvis should always be in a neutral alignment, no matter what you're doing with your hips. Try to keep your abs clenched like someone is about to punch you in the stomach.
    How to eliminate lower back rounding (aka "butt-wink") in the squat, a definitive guide:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153644231

Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    You look stooped over with an exaggerated arch in your lower back when you are setting up to squat. I get the sense you are trying to emphasize the idea of "breaking at the hips", but it's clear to me you aren't bracing your abs properly. Your torso and pelvis should always be in a neutral alignment, no matter what you're doing with your hips. Try to keep your abs clenched like someone is about to punch you in the stomach.
    Awesome advice! Out of all the instructional videos I've watched I haven't focused a whole lot on the set up in between reps, moreso on the negative and positive portions of the rep.

I think I exaggerate it to try and get rid of any wink to allow me to go below parallel. I noticed it helped remove it while I work on mobility. I also do think that my core is a weak point because I have a hard time not stooping forward on the negative. I'll work on it!

Thanks
    Last edited by MikePlow; 08-08-2014 at 08:43 AM.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MikePlow View Post
    Awesome advice! Out of all the instructional videos I've watched I haven't focused a whole lot on the set up in between reps, moreso on the negative and positive portions of the rep.

I think I exaggerate it to try and get rid of any wink to allow me to go below parallel. I noticed it helped remove it while I work on mobility. I also do think that my core is a weak point because I have a hard time not stooping forward on the negative. I'll work on it!

Thanks
    Stooping forward is okay. It's not my preference but other people do it as a way of forcing themselves to break at the hips. You will want your feet under you when the weight starts getting really heavy however.

From you are saying it sounds like you have the right idea (mostly). You do want to emphasize trying to keep the lower back engaged in order to preven buttwink. The only thing is that you also want to make sure that your abs are engaged at the same time, in order to everything neutral.
    How to eliminate lower back rounding (aka "butt-wink") in the squat, a definitive guide:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153644231