ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000)

Exclamation Deadlift Form Check

Shown below is 275x5. I noticed straight away my neck is kinked up to look at myself/my form in the mirror. I'll focus on keeping my chin tucked in a more neutral position. Anything else you guys see that jumps out at you? Oddly my deadlift is quite low, and I'm guessing poor form may be part of it. I squat just past parallel 305 and my deadlift approximately matches it.
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Eat big, lift big, get big.

Weakness is a choice.

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    don't look to the left or right while deadlifting. Keep that head neutral with your spine.

zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dude that honestly looked bad, you are losing your core stability when you start the lift (rounding your back), wish makes me think you are not bracing correctly.

ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000) ColorNotColour is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by zezi25 View Post
    dude that honestly looked bad, you are losing your core stability when you start the lift (rounding your back), wish makes me think you are not bracing correctly.
    How do I brace correctly, then? Which part of my back was rounding? Answers with solutions receive rep

Weakness is a choice.

Also, because of the angle you can't see my grip, my hands are just outside of my knees with the bar almost against my shins and I am using a double overhand grip.

Weakness is a choice.

zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zezi25 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your lower back is rounding a bit too much and your hips shot too soon.
    Basicly what i do when i deadlift is this: (note i'm also a begginer so take this with a grain of salt!):

1. Set my a bit shoulder width apart (personal preference) and imagine i'm screewing them into the ground, like becoming a part of it.
    2. Then i start tensing my glutes (glute activation drills might help) and grab the bar.
    3. Lastly i put myself in position to lift and brace myself, for bracing what i do is i imagine i'm getting punched by someone on the stomach, i also put my shoulders down to create stability in the upper back. (do not forget to keep your glutes active!).
    4. Then when i pull, instead of thinking i'm pulling it, i think i'm pushing my hips to the bar, like banging it. To create more leg drive you should also think you'are spreeding the floor with your feet.
    5. Do not forget to keep dem glutes tight during all the lifting!

Hope this helps!

Your lower back is rounding a bit too much and your hips shot too soon.
    Basicly what i do when i deadlift is this: (note i'm also a begginer so take this with a grain of salt!):

1. Set my a bit shoulder width apart (personal preference) and imagine i'm screewing them into the ground, like becoming a part of it.
    2. Then i start tensing my glutes (glute activation drills might help) and grab the bar.
    3. Lastly i put myself in position to lift and brace myself, for bracing what i do is i imagine i'm getting punched by someone on the stomach, i also put my shoulders down to create stability in the upper back. (do not forget to keep your glutes active!).
    4. Then when i pull, instead of thinking i'm pulling it, i think i'm pushing my hips to the bar, like banging it. To create more leg drive you should also think you'are spreeding the floor with your feet.
    5. Do not forget to keep dem glutes tight during all the lifting!

Hope this helps!
    I appreciate it. I'll focus on that, thank you!
    How can I keep my hips from shooting up as they do? Is there a problem with my initial set up/stance?

Weakness is a choice.

Originally Posted by ColorNotColour View Post
    I appreciate it. I'll focus on that, thank you!
    How can I keep my hips from shooting up as they do? Is there a problem with my initial set up/stance?
    No problem m8, well IMO it all starts with your setup, your stance is personal preference ,but you seem like you are about to squat the weight up, you should focus more on pushing your hips BACK instead of down, and then when you lift focus on pushing your hips INTO the bar instead of pulling the weight up.

No problem m8, well IMO it all starts with your setup, your stance is personal preference ,but you seem like you are about to squat the weight up, you should focus more on pushing your hips BACK instead of down, and then when you lift focus on pushing your hips INTO the bar instead of pulling the weight up.
    Really good thought. Being a novice deadlifter I always have thought about deadlifting and squatting being quite similar, and evidently that shows in my form. Do you think my hips/legs are low to start? I'm 6'1" so it's not extremely easy to get down to the bar with a shoulder width stance.

Weakness is a choice.

Really good thought. Being a novice deadlifter I always have thought about deadlifting and squatting being quite similar, and evidently that shows in my form. Do you think my hips/legs are low to start? I'm 6'1" so it's not extremely easy to get down to the bar with a shoulder width stance.
    It should feel natural bringing your hips back and bending your knees at the same time in order to grab the bar, you have to go trial and error on this, widen your stance or close it till you feel the "click where you feel it more natural (for me it's a bit wider than most people). If none of this works you can also try sumo's.

It should feel natural bringing your hips back and bending your knees at the same time in order to grab the bar, you have to go trial and error on this, widen your stance or close it till you feel the "click where you feel it more natural (for me it's a bit wider than most people). If none of this works you can also try sumo's.
    I am in a natural position when I start the lift, at least it feels comfortable to me. I think I should focus on just keeping my upper back super super tense, which will in turn create a flattened lower back and the rounding will ceaes to be.. is this correct?
    Also, the round that I have right now, would you call it dangerous? Or is it something that might just be hard on me over a long period of time?

Weakness is a choice.

Also, do you think the way I deadlift right now puts strain on my sacrum/pelvic region? My sacrum got tilted a little putting pressure on my sciatic nerve.. I had a bout of sciatica about a week ago and it seems to have gone away.

Weakness is a choice.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How do I brace correctly, then? Which part of my back was rounding? Answers with solutions receive rep
    What you need to do is keep your chest up (same cue as in the squat). Ie you want to lift the rib cage while bent over and extend your hips backward, such that you are lengthening your spine. Doing so should require you to engage your middle and upper back. You want to hold that contraction in your back as you pick up the bar.
    How to eliminate lower back rounding (aka "butt-wink") in the squat, a definitive guide:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153644231

Follow up to this thread. Here's my latest deadlift, today was a bad day in the gym and my deadlift was significantly lower as I have been on vacation for 9 days. To prevent injury from trying to keep up with my previous lifts, I dropped the weight to 245x4 because I just did 280x2 with poor form. Anyway, if you guys could correct the form that'd be great. It's frustrating because I ATG squatted 245 5x5. I just don't get what the deal is with my deadlift. Could it be that I have a long back genetically?

Weakness is a choice.

Also, do you think switching to sumo would help me? What are your thoughts on those who lift sumo? I know they get some flak from people because it's not conventional and they think that the conventional way should be the only way. Should I continue to work on my form for conventional or switch over to sumo? I'm 6'1" with a long back.

Weakness is a choice.