andyliftsss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) andyliftsss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) andyliftsss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) andyliftsss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) andyliftsss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) andyliftsss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) andyliftsss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) andyliftsss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Unhappy lean red meat and health: your opinion

There are a plethora of studies suggesting that red meat of all stripes is bad for your health. Invariably forums like this are full of people saying the study doesn't take into account x, y, and z and read meat is fine.

I'm having trouble coming to a conclusion.

I strongly dislike chicken and I love red meat. I eat a pound a day, mostly lean cuts that I grind myself to 90/10 or leaner beef.

What is your opinion on this?

Thank you.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In terms of nutrient density, fatty cuts of red meat would be superior to lean cuts of read meat, but lean cuts of unprocessed red meat, cooked rationally, within the context of a properly composed diet, is entirely fine.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by andyliftsss View Post
    There are a plethora of studies suggesting that red meat of all stripes is bad for your health. Invariably forums like this are full of people saying the study doesn't take into account x, y, and z and read meat is fine.

I strongly dislike chicken and I love red meat. I eat a pound a day, mostly lean cuts that I grind myself to 90/10 or leaner beef.

Thank you.
    What I've found is that generally, the fear mongers who warn of the evils of meat consumption are either militant vegans or backed by such nutcase groups as PETA, or have some other agenda, such as having financial interest in poultry farms.

While I'm only a study of one (n=1) and not statistically significant, I've been eating red meat (and a lot of it, sometimes at up to 4 meals every day) for 21+ years. Recent blood panel results by my doc indicate I'm in good health.

I should also add that I don't smoke or consume alcohol, don't use recreational drugs, I avoid industrial trans fats in any quantity like the plague that they are, and, of course, I exercise strenuously, and on a consistent basis. So, the 'studies' that claim red meat is killing people right and left, and that don't take any of that into consideration don't really apply.

Remember, correlation does not imply causation.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 07-31-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Registered User ChaoticReignPbt's Avatar
    ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I eat at least half a pound of fatty red meat every single day. Tons of valuable nutrients. Especially if its of the grassfed variety. I will continue to post this article until the end of time:

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutriti...uscle-or-both/

There are too many benefits to consuming fatty protein sources. The only stipulation I would make is to pay the extra money for grassfed. Much more favorable fatty acid profile and much better taste IMO.

r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50) r3dt4get will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The problem with these studies is that they look at groups of people that eat red meat vs people that are vegetarian, vegan, only eat lean meats, etc.

Vegans, vegetarians, and people who stick to chicken and fish are generally going to be healthier and have healthier lifestyles than the average person in the red meat group. These people are health conscious, usually exercise more, avoid processed food more often, eat out less often, etc.

When you compare your average western diet eater to a vegan the results will seem very bad for red meat, and meat in general. But what most people don't understand is that the meat isn't the problem, it's the total lifestyle. There are very few specific foods that will cause negative health effects alone in moderation. But even a vegan with bad lifestyle choices can have the same dreaded diseases as the anti-meat crowd claims meat causes.
    Workout Log & YouTube channel (I upload workouts 3x/week):
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUqHyUH2imaY6GTs77dqxzA

Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I disagree with your notion that a plethora of studies suggest eating red meat is bad.
    In the end it doesn't really matter what a bunch of individual studies show, what matters is that there is a trend or general consensus being formed within the research.
    I've personally not seen any consistent and replicated research that really supports that eating red meat is bad for you. I think that is a seriously outdated claim and one that just hasn't died off yet. Much like the cholesterol myths.

I think there is a great benefit to red meat, especially if you are an athlete. No other food source provides the iron that red meat does. As others have pointed out it's a good source of protein and fat. It also contains more B and D vitamins than other meat sources, and provides good levels of zinc.
    I like personal responsibility and accountability. When you admit you are the problem you are simultaneously admitting you are the solution.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by andyliftsss View Post

My opinion is that there is some reason to limit red meat consumption, as shown here: http://canceranddiet.nl/colorectal/meat.html

Some people will dismiss that data by referring to some of the potential flaws of epidemiological studies.

Personally I do take clues from epidemiological studies, especially when many studies point in the same direction.

Originally Posted by Connor1226 View Post
    I've personally not seen any consistent and replicated research that really supports that eating red meat is bad for you.
    You might want to give this a read: http://canceranddiet.nl/colorectal/meat.html

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My time spent working with cancer researchers has validated my point that eat what you want in moderation, exercise, sleep well, and you still have a chance to develop cancer and die.

Seriously think about what I just said.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love Venison but can't get it very often lest I go hunt it myself. Wondering if that red meat is ok?

Some Assembly Required BalyunPex's Avatar
    BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by HippyHeart View Post
    I love Venison but can't get it very often lest I go hunt it myself. Wondering if that red meat is ok?
    Only our ancestors know for sure.

And ... maybe perhaps ... Ted Nugent.

GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) GrowMacGrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Red meat from an animal is fine such as steak, fillets, legs, thighs.

Red meat that has been re-formed and processed is not and should be taken with moderation.

ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThunderBee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can't stand cooking with fatty red meat cause it anything besides ground beef seems inconsistent.
    How are they supposed to correctly label how much fat is in a top sirloin when the fat is all on the edge, not even throughout? Same with deli bacon.

Even if you can roughly estimate, I still prefer lean meat cause of the lower calories, so you cna eat more of it at a small sacrifice of a bit of taste.

I heard grass fed is better for you some how.

All in all, for me, lean red meat is a great alternative to chicken, and a lot easier to eat. Plus you can make burgers, steaks, spaghetti, tacos, etc.

I get 92% lean groudn beef lol, and get my fat cal in elsewhere.

Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Connor1226 View Post
    I disagree with your notion that a plethora of studies suggest eating red meat is bad.
    In the end it doesn't really matter what a bunch of individual studies show, what matters is that there is a trend or general consensus being formed within the research.
    I've personally not seen any consistent and replicated research that really supports that eating red meat is bad for you. I think that is a seriously outdated claim and one that just hasn't died off yet. Much like the cholesterol myths.

I think there is a great benefit to red meat, especially if you are an athlete. No other food source provides the iron that red meat does. As others have pointed out it's a good source of protein and fat. It also contains more B and D vitamins than other meat sources, and provides good levels of zinc.
    The China Study by Colin Campbell

http://www.amazon.com/The-China-Stud.../dp/1932100660
    What a time to be alive !

2016: 36/52
    2017: 40/52
    2018: 04/52

To give to charity for free everyday: http://thehungersite.greatergoodDOTcom

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Joska View Post
    That "study" has been so comprehensively debunked so many times that it's hard to imagine anyone falls for it any longer.

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Joska View Post

Lol.
    Delirious Mutant.

Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Joska has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    That "study" has been so comprehensively debunked so many times that it's hard to imagine anyone falls for it any longer.
    Twas a joke. Focuses on milk and dairy more than meat, anyway.

P.S. I admit though, after reading the book it changes your mind somewhat about "animal protein"...then you have to read 3 books and a bunch of internet reviews that debunk the book you've read in the 1st place, so you are back to square one. $hits confusing
    What a time to be alive !

2016: 36/52
    2017: 40/52
    2018: 04/52

To give to charity for free everyday: http://thehungersite.greatergoodDOTcom

Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Most studies are self-reported and don't take other factors into account, such as lifestyle, genetic predispositions, environmental exposures, and what the participants ate with their red meat. They also don't usually differentiate between heavily-processed meats, like bologna, hot dogs, and deli-style meats, and meats from pastured or wild animals. It all gets lumped into one big pile of "red meat".

And, as others have already stated, correlation is not causation. You could also find that most of the participants who wore brown shoes had the most cancer or heart disease.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Schlongosaurus View Post
    Most studies are self-reported and don't take other factors into account, such as lifestyle, genetic predispositions, environmental exposures, and what the participants ate with their red meat. They also don't usually differentiate between heavily-processed meats, like bologna, hot dogs, and deli-style meats, and meats from pastured or wild animals. It all gets lumped into one big pile of "red meat".
    FYI: The studies mentioned in post #7 generally did account for lifestyle and other dietary intake and did differentiate for processed meats.

Am I saying they are perfect? No I am not. A controlled experiment with controlled dietary intake would be preferable. But how realistic would it be to run a controlled experiment large enough and long enough to have a significant outbreak of colorectal cancer? Not very realistic. It will probably never happen.

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    And natural creatine is a good upside to red meat, too.

However, I would say that it is probably best for ANYone to eat a varied diet and not rely on a single protein source. Have you tried fish? I don't like chicken and don't eat it much, but I eat fish most days and red meat about 1-3 times per week.

Also, not sure how familiar you guys are with the research, but some studies have shown that men require less iron than women, so it's not necessary to overload on that. Elevated iron stores are correlated with (again, not necessary CAUSED by, but rather correlated with) increased risk of heart disease and diabetes. It's awfully hard to overdose on iron from dietary sources alone, though.

Another side effect of too much iron: constipation.

But eat lots of vegetables and adequate fiber from whole foods and you should be OK there too.

I still think variety's best. And if you do like red meat, maybe try organ meats like heart and liver.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Schlongosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    FYI: The studies mentioned in post #7 generally did account for lifestyle and other dietary intake and did differentiate for processed meats.
    The conclusions for those studies suggest that high-intakes and processed meats were sometimes associated with more significant risk, but the overall consensus still seems to be that the increases were only seen in small numbers of populations, and moderate intake did not increase risk. The evidence does not yet support the elimination or gross reduction of red meat from the diet. Based on the scientific community's track record in regards to fat and how that was going to kill us all (based on their best guesses, assumptions, associations, but no conclusive proof), I will wait until such evidence exists. In the meantime, the grill is still on.

jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcrefeld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it'll be a little fattier and more calorically dense then chicken breast and other leaner meats, but as long as it fits into your macros go for it man. healthy fats are the bomb.