LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

how long will it take for me to bulk up?

I have been following a basic workout for a year now, for health reasons but I now aim to bulk up. I am a really skinny dude (5'11 and about 119 pounds) and I am 18 years old. My "skinny build" isn't bad as I have a nice body shape due to my previous workout but I just need to increase the size of my build. I will be purchasing some more work out equipment soon as all I currently use are dumbbells and I want to renew my plan and eating habits.

I have always eaten a lot of food but could never put the weight on although I have lacked a lot of protein intake. I started a new eating habit yesterday after doing a lot of reading on bulking up so I managed to take in approximately 60grams of protein yesterday (the main source that had the most protein was my dinner meal: fish and beans). I will also be investing in protein shakes soon too.

The main thing I would like to know is, how long will it take for me to bulk up if I follow a mass building workout plan and protein intake plan? Also, can you offer a newbie any quick tips?

I'm your huckleberry. TheGilmore's Avatar
    TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGilmore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The nutrition section and workout sections of the forums. Find a good beginner routine in the workout section. Modify it to be based on dumbbells given what you have (though you're severely limited in potential without bars, especially a squat rack). Most people overeat protein, but it sounds like you're undereating. However, if you eat enough to gain, you shouldn't have an issue hitting protein from food. Since you're not gaining, that tells me you aren't in a calorie surplus.
    “For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.”—1 Nephi 20:10

LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LetUsWorkout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I know little about calorie surplus. How much protein do you think I should take if I am under-eating?

drguns123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey bud. Look in the nutrition section of the forum. It has all the info you need. Its pretty simple, if calories in is more that calories used then you will gain weight no matter what.

Justin93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Justin93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Justin93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Justin93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Justin93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Justin93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Justin93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Justin93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    119lbs? Eat some ****ing food.
    GAT Creatine Monohydrate Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162380981

GAT Muscle Martini Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163934231&p=1288243051#post1288243051

Team MuscleTech Rep/EMT-B BlueRev's Avatar
    BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Years.
    Learn to eat, track your calories, don't just assume you eat alot.
    Kick.com/beetoxic
    Give me a Follow for some REP

2011 NPC Eastern USA's XCriticalBenchX's Avatar
    XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you are asking a question like this.. a very long time. Start reading about the significance of calories via the nutrition section.

Mike
    ….

Team MuscleTech Rep/EMT-B BlueRev's Avatar
    BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by XCriticalBenchX View Post
    If you are asking a question like this.. a very long time. Start reading about the significance of calories via the nutrition section.

Mike
    Even if you're not asking a question like this, Will take YEARS.
    Kick.com/beetoxic
    Give me a Follow for some REP

llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    At your stats, you can probably put on a good amount of weight in 9 months to a year with a repeated caloric surplus. A good amount of that will be muscle, a good amount of fat will be gained too though. The key is to minimalize it as much as possible with a surplus of 300-500 calories over your TDEE.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LetUsWorkout View Post
    I have been following a basic workout for a year now, for health reasons but I now aim to bulk up. I am a really skinny dude (5'11 and about 119 pounds) and I am 18 years old. My "skinny build" isn't bad as I have a nice body shape due to my previous workout but I just need to increase the size of my build. I will be purchasing some more work out equipment soon as all I currently use are dumbbells and I want to renew my plan and eating habits.

I have always eaten a lot of food but could never put the weight on although I have lacked a lot of protein intake. I started a new eating habit yesterday after doing a lot of reading on bulking up so I managed to take in approximately 60grams of protein yesterday (the main source that had the most protein was my dinner meal: fish and beans). I will also be investing in protein shakes soon too.

The main thing I would like to know is, how long will it take for me to bulk up if I follow a mass building workout plan and protein intake plan? Also, can you offer a newbie any quick tips?
    meet protein/fiber/fat minimums goals
    If you think you eat enough and you do not gain ,then you need to eat more.
    Period
    Supplements wont solve a bad diet

Eat in a caloric surplus, meaning eating more kcals than you need to maintain in order to gain muscle, size, and strength.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.

rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdwire88 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Simple solution.

Eat more.

Kinda still lifts Valhallabound86's Avatar
    Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    To the people saying to eat more:

No ****. Let be attempt to be a little more helpful to the general community and not make two word statements and hope they understand the meaning. Might make this place a wee bit better.

@ OP:

Start by eating a consistent amount of calories. If you're not seeing the scale move at all, then increase it consistently. This number doesn't have to be insanely strict, but you should be eating approximately the same daily to judge whether or not you're over your TDEE (See: Nutrition Stickies). If you're the type that needs 4k + calories, then get those calories in however possible. Olive oil/peanut butter/etc are great methods for increasing calories.