ajgoodman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Adding Mass (Over 50)

While I've been living at my parents house for the summer my father and I have taken to a pretty serious bulking diet. Over the past 8 weeks or so, I have put on over 10 good pounds, but my father has hardly gained at all.

We have tracked his macros well and his caloric intake challenges 3000 most days, and his proteins/carbs/fats ratios are well-within acceptable limitations. He does 15 minutes of moderate cardio a day and still lifts at least as heavy as any younger male in the gym, 5x per week.

He is about 5'8" and 172lbs with a muscular build, has been lifting weights/working out for over 35 years.

What could be the problem?

TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ''has been lifting weights/working out for over 35 years''

Maybe he has hit his genetic potential?
    2012 was a year of on and off training due to miss-hap's. I had broken ribs,pulled something under my shoulder blade. Then had a total hip replacement. Got soft around the edges. Now time for a comeback. 1st year in. So far things are going great!!
    April 11th 2014 double bypass surgery. So another set back grrrrrr.

If The Bar Ain't Bending... You're Just Pretending.

There is no pill or shake. That can replace hard work.

ajgoodman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheIronMaster View Post
    ''has been lifting weights/working out for over 35 years''

Maybe he has hit his genetic potential?
    We had considered that. But my retort has always been that he had never really committed himself to the nutrition side of bodybuilding until recently. He would consider this his first serious and well-researched bulking period. Picture reference attached... Short notice...
    Attached Images

TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    He looks good. I would give it 6 months of being more serious on nutrition and see where he is then.
    2012 was a year of on and off training due to miss-hap's. I had broken ribs,pulled something under my shoulder blade. Then had a total hip replacement. Got soft around the edges. Now time for a comeback. 1st year in. So far things are going great!!
    April 11th 2014 double bypass surgery. So another set back grrrrrr.

If The Bar Ain't Bending... You're Just Pretending.

There is no pill or shake. That can replace hard work.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ajgoodman View Post
    While I've been living at my parents house for the summer my father and I have taken to a pretty serious bulking diet. Over the past 8 weeks or so, I have put on over 10 good pounds, but my father has hardly gained at all.

We have tracked his macros well and his caloric intake challenges 3000 most days, and his proteins/carbs/fats ratios are well-within acceptable limitations. He does 15 minutes of moderate cardio a day and still lifts at least as heavy as any younger male in the gym, 5x per week.

He is about 5'8" and 172lbs with a muscular build, has been lifting weights/working out for over 35 years.

I do not think he has a problem. It could just be that even though he works out often and with good intensity, he may need to shake up things a little.

If he is not doing so already, I suggest he squat at least twice a week I would also suggest he try some heavy supersets.

His pic looks great though.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TouaregV8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Your dad looks great, man. Major props to him. Other than the daily cardio you mentioned, does he have a physical job? Could his TDEE (maintenance calories) be right around that 3000 calorie mark that he's been consuming daily? Sounds a little high to me considering he's only 172lbs but a lot depends on his activity level. If he's not gaining then it sounds to me like he's not eating enough. Are you guys just looking at the scale, or are you tracking bf% and keeping a log of body part measurements? His body may be changing even though you aren't seeing a change in his body weight.
    -Squattin' in the curl rack.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your dad is fine. He looks good.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ajgoodman View Post

His upper body looks good.

What is he currently handling in Squat, Deadlift, and Bench?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733