hedgehog888 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio in calorie deficit OR calorie maintenance?

Hello,

I was searching the forum for an answer my question but the results weren't sufficient so here I post.

I would like to drop my body fat after bulking for a few months. I understand that I would have to go into a calorie deficit as well do some cardio to support the fat loss. What I need clarity on is do I do cardio in calorie deficit OR calorie maintenance? If I do cardio in deficit wouldn't that bring my calorie deficit down even further?

What I would not want is an unhealthy rapid drop in bodyfat as well as muscle loss.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blacksage83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can do cardio in a deficit or at maintenance. You're right, in a deficit it will bring you further into a deficit and at maintenance it will bring you into a deficit.

If you do not want to lose muscle go to the gym and lift weights.

You do not HAVE to do cardio to lose weight, but I recommend it.

Good luck

loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do cardio whether I'm in a defacit, maintaining or a surplus. It just increases your TDEE.

Do it to condition your heart and lungs, but I wouldn't rely on it as a crutch to put you in a defacit. Diet is far more effective for that.
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson

Gains1983 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gains1983 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gains1983 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by hedgehog888 View Post
    Hello,

I was searching the forum for an answer my question but the results weren't sufficient so here I post.

I would like to drop my body fat after bulking for a few months. I understand that I would have to go into a calorie deficit as well do some cardio to support the fat loss. What I need clarity on is do I do cardio in calorie deficit OR calorie maintenance? If I do cardio in deficit wouldn't that bring my calorie deficit down even further?

What I would not want is an unhealthy rapid drop in bodyfat as well as muscle loss.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.
    The reason people do cardio is to burn calories which in turns when your at a deficit burns fat, that is why they have Calorie counters on the machine. You done have to do cardio to loose fat unless that is your thing. To much cardio will loose muscle mass for sure.

Make sure your at a deficit to loose body fat, you can try intermittent fasting as a good tool as well to loose fat. If you do cardio I would recommend just walking at a brisk pace, not to hard, you should still be able to hold a conversation while walking , not that you talk during cardio but gives you a idea if your going to hard or not on the cardio.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cardio is not required. Cardio will use calories and take away from the energy balance equation. How you set up your deficit is a personal preference.

Read this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post553453753
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by Gains1983 View Post
    The reason people do cardio is to burn calories which in turns when your at a deficit burns fat, that is why they have Calorie counters on the machine. You done have to do cardio to loose fat unless that is your thing. To much cardio will loose muscle mass for sure.

Make sure your at a deficit to loose body fat, you can try intermittent fasting as a good tool as well to loose fat. If you do cardio I would recommend just walking at a brisk pace, not to hard, you should still be able to hold a conversation while walking , not that you talk during cardio but gives you a idea if your going to hard or not on the cardio.
    Just to confirm, to get the most out of intermittent fasting I would still have to be in a calorie deficit, correct?

Thank you everyone for your responses thus far.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hedgehog888 View Post
    Just to confirm, to get the most out of intermittent fasting I would still have to be in a calorie deficit, correct?
    You can do all the intermittent fasting you like and if you aren't in a net calorie deficit, you won't lose an ounce of fat.

birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like to eating in a deficit and doing cardio to increase the deficit.
    Currently cutting

dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000) dirtbikeguy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Honestly, if you're still 5'8" and 158lbs, you still need to bulk, imo.