gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Help Identifying Barbell!!!!

Hi Guys,

New to the forum here, been working on building a home gym and picked up a barbell from some dude on craigslist, it was brand new in packaging, probably been sitting the for at least 1 year.

We both could not figure out the make of the bar, no manufacturers marks anywhere.

Its a black, I believe power lifting bar because of center knurling. Looks to be higher end as it has the oil holes.

Pics of Bar and pics of gym attached.
    Attached Images

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    An unknown bar that had very similar construction was just posted recently for an ID. I think the holes are where parts of the bar are pinned together rather than "oil holes". One roll pin might connect the inner collar to the sleeve. The roll pin in the middle of the sleeve might connect to something inside the sleeve that may or may not hold the sleeve on the shaft--I'm not sure.

I don't know the make and model of the bar.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    An unknown bar that had very similar construction was just posted recently for an ID. I think the holes are where parts of the bar are pinned together rather than "oil holes". One roll pin might connect the inner collar to the sleeve. The roll pin in the middle of the sleeve might connect to something inside the sleeve that may or may not hold the sleeve on the shaft--I'm not sure.

This.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) gabsonfire will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Any ideas of the quality?

Weight Limits?

It is a 28mm.

I was thinking it may be the Troy AOB 1500B as most of the equipment the guy had was Troy.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gabsonfire View Post
    Any ideas of the quality?

Weight Limits?

It is a 28mm.

I was thinking it may be the Troy AOB 1500B as most of the equipment the guy had was Troy.
    I think the AOB 1500 is a snap ring bar. This bar looks like a pinned (in a very odd location) sleeve.

Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    At least the newer Troy AOB 1500Bs are snap ring sleeves.
    Garage Gym Owner

Originally Posted by Bench905 View Post
    Good point. I don't think is an old or well used bar based on the pics. Just looks like a generic oly bar to me. But I've been wrong before.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 07-24-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Good point. I don't think is an old or well used bar based on the pics. Just looks like a generic oly bar to me. But I've been wrong before.
    Most Oly bars don't have center knurling, correct?

Bar was in storage, new in box, may be an older bar..............

Most Oly bars don't have center knurling, correct?

Bar was in storage, new in box, may be an older bar..............
    All real (IWF) oly bars have a center knurl. Many Olympic training bars do not, which has caused people to think weightlifting bars should not have a center knurl, and that powerlifting bars have them for squats. Both are incorrect. Center knurls are there because there used to be one handed lifts in the Olympics decades ago and the standard has stuck. Watch the Olympics (men).. Center knurls.

Does the box have any markings?

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree with GI.

OP sent me a message but I thought I'd post it here as well for continuity...

Originally Posted by gabsonfire
    do you have a link to that previous posters barbell ID?

Do you think this barbell is of quality?

Alex
    You're in the best position to determine it since you have the bar in hand. If it works well that's good enough. Based on the knurl alone, I'd guess that it's an inexpensive foreign made bar. The construction confuses me though....it would be interesting to see the sleeve taken apart but I think it may be difficult to take it apart since I think the pin in the sleeve would need to be pulled rather than pushed through.

I embedded the photo for someone else but it's not my bar (it belongs to the "edap"). It's different in some ways but it has a similar unusual pin placement on the sleeve.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1266482531
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

On a side note, I do like that storage rack in your gym.

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    On a side note, I do like that storage rack in your gym.
    TDS front loading storage rack.

Retails for 180.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That plate/bar rack is one of the few TDS pieces that I wouldn't mind owning.

I have a Troy AOB-1500B, and the sleeves are held on with a snap ring.

I also believe that the bar in question is likely an inexpensive bar.

That said, if the bar meets your needs and the price is/was right, then you have a winner, at least until you are squatting/deadlifting over 300 lbs. The fact that it is 28mm is a sign that it may be made with decent steel. If it has bushings in the sleeves, that would also be a positive.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Originally Posted by Bench905 View Post
    It's a good point. A lot of bars went through big changes over the years. I took a look at the archive of the Troy website and it does appear that older versions of the AOB-1500B were pinned although the current version uses snap rings. Troy called them "international bars" which suggests that they were foreign made... though I thought the TPB was made for them in the US so I'm not sure. Unfortunately, the photos on the website weren't good enough for a comparison.

Here's a link to the current description:
    http://www.troybarbell.com/items.asp...mber=7&item=15

And here's a screen capture of the old description:
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    That plate/bar rack is one of the few TDS pieces that I wouldn't mind owning.

I have a Troy AOB-1500B, and the sleeves are held on with a snap ring.

I also believe that the bar in question is likely an inexpensive bar.

That said, if the bar meets your needs and the price is/was right, then you have a winner, at least until you are squatting/deadlifting over 300 lbs. The fact that it is 28mm is a sign that it may be made with decent steel. If it has bushings in the sleeves, that would also be a positive.
    I squat and deadlift over 300lbs, So I am concerned as I believe this to be a decent bar at least 1000lb rated.

The bar is pinned all the way through the sleeve, two holes on each sleeve directly adjacent from each other.

I have been in and out of gyms for the last 6 years, I do not believe this to be a cheap bar. If it is I would be quite surprised.

[QUOTE=morebarbell;1272727081]It's a good point. A lot of bars went through big changes over the years. I took a look at the archive of the Troy website and it does appear that older versions of the AOB-1500B were pinned although the current version uses snap rings. Troy called them "international bars" which suggests that they were foreign made... though I thought the TPB was made for them in the US so I'm not sure. Unfortunately, the photos on the website weren't good enough for a comparison.

Like I said this bar at least sat in storage for 1 year, how old it is I have no idea. The locker it was in was from a gym that went out of business, all troy brand bars and plates. So I really strongly believe this is an older troy bar. Any other pictures I could take that would make this easier to decipher.

Like I said this bar at least sat in storage for 1 year, how old it is I have no idea. The locker it was in was from a gym that went out of business, all troy brand bars and plates. So I really strongly believe this is an older troy bar. Any other pictures I could take that would make this easier to decipher.
    Your photos are good enough but the stock photos on the old Troy website are small and cartoon-like. And I really don't remember what the older Troy bars looked like. I've probably seen them but didn't pay close attention.

If it works well, I wouldn't worry about it.

[QUOTE=gabsonfire;1273534341]
    It's a good point. A lot of bars went through big changes over the years. I took a look at the archive of the Troy website and it does appear that older versions of the AOB-1500B were pinned although the current version uses snap rings. Troy called them "international bars" which suggests that they were foreign made... though I thought the TPB was made for them in the US so I'm not sure. Unfortunately, the photos on the website weren't good enough for a comparison.

Might be. The adjacent pins are consistent with the manufacturer that made them for Troy. On their other (yet more expensive bars) they weld the flange and sleeve together instead of using a threaded pin.. but anythings possible. Either way, if you paid under $100 for it you got a fair deal.

[QUOTE=GarageIron;1273594221]

Might be. The adjacent pins are consistent with the manufacturer that made them for Troy. On their other (yet more expensive bars) they weld the flange and sleeve together instead of using a threaded pin.. but anythings possible. Either way, if you paid under $100 for it you got a fair deal.
    pulled 350 with it today. No bending yet. Squat day is tomorrow so we will see.