katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need to Improve my Squat

My squat generally looks awful. I have a short Achilles tendon, knock-knees and whatever else. lol So when I try to squat with a normal stance around shoulder-width, I can't lower very much without taking my heels off the ground and bending over. Its better if I do a sumo squat, but still not great. I also have tried elevating my heels on plates and it works a bit better but my back still seems to end up rounding at some point.

I know the benefits of squatting, but was told by the last trainer that gave me an assessment to avoid them because of my ill form. I want to know if/how I can increase my mobility to be able to squat with decent form. Any standard mobility exercise or stretches I should do? Or am I destined to sumo squatting forever? lol Thanks

mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by katie0615 View Post
    My squat generally looks awful. I have a short Achilles tendon, knock-knees and whatever else. lol So when I try to squat with a normal stance around shoulder-width, I can't lower very much without taking my heels off the ground and bending over. Its better if I do a sumo squat, but still not great. I also have tried elevating my heels on plates and it works a bit better but my back still seems to end up rounding at some point.

I know the benefits of squatting, but was told by the last trainer that gave me an assessment to avoid them because of my ill form. I want to know if/how I can increase my mobility to be able to squat with decent form. Any standard mobility exercise or stretches I should do? Or am I destined to sumo squatting forever? lol Thanks
    Sounds like you're using some pretty solid trainers. Telling you to avoid the exercise all together instead of aiding you in correcting your form was definitely the best option for him... smh.

I would suggest starting with little to no weight on squat to help correct your form and build from there. If you can find one try and convince an experienced powerlifter to help you as they are typically king squatters. Someone CSCS certified would be optimal. It sounds to me like you're lagging overall strength and practice, but flexibility may come into play also.
    Supplement a good diet: don't diet on supplements.

MAN Sports Lead Rep

Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion & in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

IG: @eminentandpowerfulco

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If your heels are coming up while you're squatting it could be your lack of dorsiflexion aka ankle mobility.

A video of your squat is going to help a lot more in providing tips and cues for you to improve. If you can post one I would recommend posting one up for better help.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Obviously the fact that you have short achilles tendons is a big issue for squatting. You will not be able to squat unless you are able to increase the range of motion at the ankle joint, full stop. There's not much more advice you're going to be able to get from us on here. Do a search for articles and drills for "ankle mobility" and they should give you some drills to work on. Another helpful option is weightlifting shoes with a raised heel.
    How to eliminate lower back rounding (aka "butt-wink") in the squat, a definitive guide:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153644231

katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) katie0615 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mtpaquette View Post
    Sounds like you're using some pretty solid trainers. Telling you to avoid the exercise all together instead of aiding you in correcting your form was definitely the best option for him... smh.
    I agree 100%. I was really hoping he would give me some stretches or exercises I can do to improve it, but he just suggested I do wall squats or leg presses where my back is supported. Don't worry, though, I didn't pay him - free assessment. lol

Originally Posted by Anthony21 View Post
    If your heels are coming up while you're squatting it could be your lack of dorsiflexion aka ankle mobility.

A video of your squat is going to help a lot more in providing tips and cues for you to improve. If you can post one I would recommend posting one up for better help.
    Thanks! I haven't posted a video before, but I'll look into it. Thanks for replying

Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    Obviously the fact that you have short achilles tendons is a big issue for squatting. You will not be able to squat unless you are able to increase the range of motion at the ankle joint, full stop. There's not much more advice you're going to be able to get from us on here. Do a search for articles and drills for "ankle mobility" and they should give you some drills to work on. Another helpful option is weightlifting shoes with a raised heel.
    That's really helpful though! So I need to improve my ankle mobility if I want to squat properly. I will look up some articles. Thank you so much for the helpful advice

mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwilkins532 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Look up ankle mobility. Use less weight to perfect your form. Mark bell and Matt Kroc have great advice on all lifts. Your body is different than anyone else's so Taylor the squat to you-DO NOT stop doing the squat. You need to train your CNS to perform it correctly, THIS is the first step.
    TRAIN LIKE A POWERLIFTER AND EAT LIKE A BODYBUILDER

OEF combat vet, shout out to all my battles out there!