Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

DB exercise that hits lats hard?

I only have access to dumbbells due to lack of $$$$...every couple of weeks my cousin sneaks me into his gym and I get some lat work done haha, but I love doing lats and just can't find a good way to hit them. Too fat for pull-ups or I'd do those.

Registered User Dannylightning1's Avatar
    Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    set your dumbbells on the ground on the side of your bench, lay on the bench on your belly and do lying dumbbell rows, you can put the bench on incline if you need to so you get full range of motion. of you can do bent over dumbbell rows
    I hurt my back a while back and could not do much than got lazy for several years. In late 2013 I started lifting again, still have back problems but at least i am lifting again, cant go heavy on allot of stuff but i do what i can.

Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strobe57 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dannylightning1 View Post
    set your dumbbells on the ground on the side of your bench, lay on the bench on your belly and do lying dumbbell rows, you can put the bench on incline if you need to so you get full range of motion. of you can do bent over dumbbell rows
    I don't really feel rows hitting my lats too much, not the way a pull-down would hit them anyway, but i'll definitely try laying on the bench like ya said, thanks

Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dannylightning1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it could the way you are doing them..

stand up, put your arms out straight, palms facing up and make a fist, flex your lats, pull your arms back like you are doing a row till your fists are touching your hip bones, and you should really feel the lats activating. pulling back and your fist end up more in the chest araa you will probably feel it more in your middle back instead of your lats...

keep doing the standing fake row with your lats flexed but play around with the way you face your palms, how close or wide you arms are when you pull the weight up and how high or low you pull he weight, what ever you feel in your lats the most is the way you should do them..

i like to have my head hanging off the end of the bench when i do these, so my chin is resting on the edge of the bench.. that is more comfortable than laying your head on the bench and turning our head to the side.
    I hurt my back a while back and could not do much than got lazy for several years. In late 2013 I started lifting again, still have back problems but at least i am lifting again, cant go heavy on allot of stuff but i do what i can.

it could the way you are doing them..

stand up, put your arms out straight, palms facing up and make a fist, flex your lats, pull your arms back like you are doing a row till your fists are touching your hip bones, and you should really feel the lats activating. pulling back and your fist end up more in the chest araa you will probably feel it more in your middle back instead of your lats...

keep doing the standing fake row with your lats flexed but play around with the way you face your palms, how close or wide you arms are when you pull the weight up and how high or low you pull he weight, what ever you feel in your lats the most is the way you should do them..

i like to have my head hanging off the end of the bench when i do these, so my chin is resting on the edge of the bench.. that is more comfortable than laying your head on the bench and turning our head to the side.
    Makes a lot of sense, thanks bro. I've been wanting to hit my lats so bad(my fav muscle group), gonna test it out Thurs

not a problem, when you lay on the bench it really isolates your lats.

if you can do both rows and pull ups it would be best. if you can find a bar to do pull ups where your feet can still touch the ground and can squat down and use your legs slightly to help you do the pull up it will also hit those lats very well, that is how i usually do mine, i do all upper body on the same day and by the time i get to pull ups i am about out of steam so i do my pull ups like that, or sometimes i do them on the total gym i have which works pretty well. that way you can make the pull up as easy or as hard as you want.

pull ups and rows hit your lats differently so its best to do both if you can, if i had to pick just one i would stick with rows because they are easier lol.

not a problem, when you lay on the bench it really isolates your lats.

if you can do both rows and pull ups it would be best. if you can find a bar to do pull ups where your feet can still touch the ground and can squat down and use your legs slightly to help you do the pull up it will also hit those lats very well, that is how i usually do mine, i do all upper body on the same day and by the time i get to pull ups i am about out of steam so i do my pull ups like that, or sometimes i do them on the total gym i have which works pretty well. that way you can make the pull up as easy or as hard as you want.

pull ups and rows hit your lats differently so its best to do both if you can, if i had to pick just one i would stick with rows because they are easier lol.
    Never thought of doing cheat pull-ups until I can do real ones, awesome idea. And yeah I run my work-out same way, all upper same day. But I like swapping it around so I'm not always doing just bench first, etc.

XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pull Ups and Dumbbell Rows. I've even seen some people do Dumbbell Rows at an Incline, but I haven't tried it out yet, so I'm not really sure if it works or not.

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dumbbell rows, pull with your elbow and back towards your hip and up, you'll feel it in your lats.

Originally Posted by mtownballer20 View Post
    Dumbbell rows, pull with your elbow and back towards your hip and up, you'll feel it in your lats.
    Yeah that's what the other dude said, thanks Gonna try em out next upper body workout.

SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwolenBro has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    DB Rows and Pullovers

Originally Posted by SwolenBro View Post
    DB Rows and Pullovers
    How do you get pullovers to hit the lats? I was trying some pullovers last week and it felt like they work the chest/serratus anterior more than lats. I make a point of squeezing my lats but still didn't feel them much.

ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Keep your back tight all the time and a slight arc in your back.
    Think of your arms as hooks, so that the range of motion comes from your lats and not biceps/traps. Exactly as the above dude told you "pull with your elbow and towards your hips".
    Never shrug either when doing lat work. Takes half the work away from your lats
    Current lifting stats:
    Bench: 125kg (275lbs)
    Squat: 150kg (330lbs)
    Deadlift: 180kg (396lbs)

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Strobe57 View Post
    How do you get pullovers to hit the lats? I was trying some pullovers last week and it felt like they work the chest/serratus anterior more than lats. I make a point of squeezing my lats but still didn't feel them much.

This shows a barbell, but I suppose you could achieve the same movement with dumbbells. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BPullover.html

I can feel rows working the lats when you do as these guys have described. You have to keep the elbow tucked in and I like to pull the weight low to near my hip. Honestly though, I wouldn't call rows a lat exercise. If anything they are a general overall back exercise. You really need some kind of vertical pulling motion to really hit lats directly.

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SwolenBro View Post
    DB Rows and Pullovers
    This.

Originally Posted by Mdenatale View Post
    This shows a barbell, but I suppose you could achieve the same movement with dumbbells. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BPullover.html

I can feel rows working the lats when you do as these guys have described. You have to keep the elbow tucked in and I like to pull the weight low to near my hip. Honestly though, I wouldn't call rows a lat exercise. If anything they are a general overall back exercise. You really need some kind of vertical pulling motion to really hit lats directly.
    Yeah the overhead work really helps. Sucks I'm kind of a lat junkie and that's one of the harder things to hit with only dumbbells. Don't have too long until I can afford a gym membership again so that'll be nice.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Generally, pulling close to your sides and to the waist will increase lat involvement.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I seen it already mentioned, but I LOVE those dumbbell rows ( both arms at the same time) while lying chest down on a incline bench. The keys are to pull the dumbbell up and back at an angle towards the hips.... and raise your chest up off the pad while pulling the dumbbells back. Also, full stretch on the way back down to the starting position. These are awesome!!!

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're too fat for... nah, not today. Just not today.

Originally Posted by dknatural74 View Post
    I seen it already mentioned, but I LOVE those dumbbell rows ( both arms at the same time) while lying chest down on a incline bench. The keys are to pull the dumbbell up and back at an angle towards the hips.... and raise your chest up off the pad while pulling the dumbbells back. Also, full stretch on the way back down to the starting position. These are awesome!!!
    Ya I did those today, felt great and definitely hit the lats. Not quite the same way as pull-ups or lat pulldowns would, but the best lat work I've had with dumbbells thus far thanks all