primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413

Rookie deadlift form

I've read that if form is not good, a beginner will be shooting themselves in the foot. I am a beginner, and don't want to shoot myself in the foot, I want to do this correctly. Any thoughts?

youtu.be/OKiSayxH3Hg

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's numerous article and videos here and on other sites that teach correct form. You can also ask someone in the gym who knows that they're doing.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413 primalmedic413
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    There's numerous article and videos here and on other sites that teach correct form. You can also ask someone in the gym who knows that they're doing.
    My gym is pretty much always empty. I've read a lot of articles. I just wanted people's opinions. Its tough to critique myself with an untrained eye.

Baptised in Fire and Ice DoogShnooglis's Avatar
    DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You have a lot of issues there man. Your head's cranked back instead of neutral. You're not getting the bar back to rest between reps. Your upper back looks majorly rounded. Lower back's not arched. Bar path's very far from being vertical. Basically all of the problems, except the video height and angle isn't showing your hand and foot position, so can't tell if those are off. You'll probably want to keep the weight low, do some more reading and watching, and keep trying to tackle them while you get more advice here.
    I'm a carnal, organic anagram / Human flesh instead of written letters / I rearrange my pathetic tissue / I incise, I replace, I'm reformed / I eradicate the fake pre-present me / Elevate me to a higher human form / The characters I am, made into a word complete / Then I'll be the new norm

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Embed for u

Originally Posted by DoogShnooglis View Post
    You have a lot of issues there man. Your head's cranked back instead of neutral. You're not getting the bar back to rest between reps. Your upper back looks majorly rounded. Lower back's not arched. Bar path's very far from being vertical. Basically all of the problems, except the video height and angle isn't showing your hand and foot position, so can't tell if those are off. You'll probably want to keep the weight low, do some more reading and watching, and keep trying to tackle them while you get more advice here.
    My upper back is always majorly rounded due to kyphosis. You should see me standing up straight. My shoulders are completely rolled forward. Been that way my whole life. If I pull my shoulders back to straighten out that upper back, I feel like I wouldn't be able to even reach the bar.

DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When you say your whole life, do you mean as long as you can remember, or that it's actually congenital? Or more to the point, is it structural? I don't know whether the effect is exactly the same. If it's fixable, you'll definitely want to fix it. If not, you might want to get some doctor's advice before you go much further with deads. A scoliosis expert can probably tell you more about the safety or danger of deadlifting with structural kyphosis, but in general, the position is really dangerous to have for the lift. If you're going to proceed, regardless, you do still need to fix those other issues too.
    I'm a carnal, organic anagram / Human flesh instead of written letters / I rearrange my pathetic tissue / I incise, I replace, I'm reformed / I eradicate the fake pre-present me / Elevate me to a higher human form / The characters I am, made into a word complete / Then I'll be the new norm

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Originally Posted by DoogShnooglis View Post
    When you say your whole life, do you mean as long as you can remember, or that it's actually congenital? Or more to the point, is it structural? I don't know whether the effect is exactly the same. If it's fixable, you'll definitely want to fix it. If not, you might want to get some doctor's advice before you go much further with deads. A scoliosis expert can probably tell you more about the safety or danger of deadlifting with structural kyphosis, but in general, the position is really dangerous to have for the lift. If you're going to proceed, regardless, you do still need to fix those other issues too.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if it's congenital. I know I had horrible posture growing up as a lazy fat kid.

Being a beginner, would rack pulls be sufficient in place of the deadlift until I can correct my form for the pull off the floor? I really like deadlifting. I can definitely feel that good soreness the next day, and actually think my posture has improved slightly since starting to do it. But obviously I don't want to get myself hurt either. By the way, with the rounded upper back, nothing feels unnatural or uncomfortable. It actually feels far more awkward when I try to pull with my shoulders pulled back.

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First thing is that you need to keep your head/neck neutral. Dont try to look up - just look straight ahead through the ROM. Also you need to allow you hips to sit back further.

This video is the best guide imo

Originally Posted by primalmedic413 View Post
    Being a beginner, would rack pulls be sufficient in place of the deadlift until I can correct my form for the pull off the floor? I really like deadlifting. I can definitely feel that good soreness the next day, and actually think my posture has improved slightly since starting to do it. But obviously I don't want to get myself hurt either. By the way, with the rounded upper back, nothing feels unnatural or uncomfortable. It actually feels far more awkward when I try to pull with my shoulders pulled back.
    Yeah but you need to (fix it, that is). That posture's unhealthy for lots of reasons beyond just trouble trying to deadlift. Switching to rack pulls won't fix the form issue. What you should do is see the doctor about it and find out what's going on. If you have a spinal issue, time to learn more about safety and options. If it's just postural (sounding more likely now), we have tons of good info about fixing the problem, and you need to do so. You'll see lots of benefits, and it'll be safer for you in the long run. Strengthening the back is one of the things you need to do to fix it, so you should keep that up. Make sure to incorporate stretches for the front too. Hopefully you should keep seeing improvement in your posture.

YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) YolkedPinoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    U might be able to fix your rolled shoulders by working out your back twice as much as u do chest and triceps and shoulders

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by primalmedic413 View Post
    That's normal... it's pretty much impossible to deadlift with your shoulders pulled back. What matters is that you lift the chest and ribcage in order to lengthen the spine and establish an arch in the back. You need to put the bar down in between each rep in order to make sure you set the back firmly before you start to pull off the floor. If your back is not set before the pull, it will round right away every time.
    How to eliminate lower back rounding (aka "butt-wink") in the squat, a definitive guide:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153644231