Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Bulking 101 : The Beginners Handbook to Muscle Mass

*** DISCLAIMER ***

If you are under the age of 18 years old :
    DISREGARD COUNTING CALORIES / MACRONUTRIENTS

Your outline is simple.

1. Lift following a structured program
    2. Eat a balanced diet
    3. Sleep
    4. Enjoy being young

Introduction

It seems like there is never a shortage of new members in the forum seeking advice on this topic, with new threads daily.

Given, there is PLENTY of great information available throughout the forum on the various aspects of this, I thought maybe it was time to go ahead and do a BASIC, to the point, guide on the subject, covering all the aspects of it (nutrition, training, supplements, etc.)

This guide will strictly be covering BULKING.

Why?
    Because 9/10 of you starting your fitness journey do not have any reasonable amount of muscle mass that would justify you cutting or losing weight.

I don't say this to be discouraging, it's just the truth.
    If you don't have the muscle to show, what do you expect to look like when you lose body fat?

'But Why Should We Listen To You?'

BECAUSE I'M SHREDDED!

Not really.

Don't listen if you don't feel my advice would help you.
    I'm not telling you that you HAVE to do things my way or that my way is best (lots will disagree).

The purpose of this guide is to create a simple, easy to read and understand, outline of the basics of the varying topics involved in bulking, and how you can apply them to see results.

Take the information I provide and apply it as you see fit, or don't.

Choice is yours.

I have no degrees or certifications to back up what I said.
    I am not a nutritionist or exercise physiologist...hell, I'm not even a certified PT.

What I do have is a little bit of personal experience in this subject (review my Bodyspace or personal training journal to see my training/transformation history), a little bit of time browsing the forum, interacting with members, learning, applying what I've learned, and doing a bit of studying/reading on the different topics involved from experts in their respective fields, and using a little bit of 'bro-science' partnered with what research is telling us works best...I think I just may be able to help.

Now, let's get this thing going!

Nutrition

This is THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT of the entire process.

Without having your diet in check, no amount of training/supplementation will give you results.

YOU NEED TO EAT TO GROW

Before we even get into things, you should do these two items
    1. Get yourself a food scale to weigh/measure what you're ACTUALLY CONSUMING (they can be found relatively cheap at Wal-Mart or any chain store like it)
    2. Explore/register http://www.myfitnesspal.com (it has, in my opinion, the largest food data base and is the easiest tracking website out there

I. Calorie + Nutrient Requirements

There are two ways you can determine these.
    I'd recommend the first option I provide, as it will (likely) be a more accurate starting point, however the fact of the matter is...either way you go, it's still just an ESTIMATE on required intake, and your actual needs will be determined through applying this information and using trail + error to find your balance.

Option A (Detailed + Accurate)

The Sticky Thread ; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

This thread will provide you with various formulas to determine a calorie baseline requirement, and the MINIMUM target amounts for protein and fat intake.
    It's also going to take a slight bit more work on your part with working through the formulas, however it's really not that difficult.

Option B (Simple)

Calories : 16-18 calories/lb (35.2-39.6 calories/kg)
    Protein : 1g/lb (2.2g/kg)
    Fat : .5g/lb (1.1g/kg)
    Carbohydrates : As many/few as you'd like staying in your calorie target

This method will catch more flack than the other, but I'm not here to make everyone happy.
    This is a short + sweet method to going about determining your needs and giving you a STARTING POINT for beginning the process.

I don't condone the lazy path, however I'd rather give you this option and at least get your ass in gear, than have you not even bother starting because you don't want to put in the effort to sort out the math provided in the first option.

Assessing Results

Continue with your new caloric intake for 3-4 weeks.
    At this point begin monitoring your weekly/bi-weekly weight fluctuations and use the AVERAGE results to determine weight change.

You should be targeting a weight gain of .5-1lb/week AVERAGE.

Notice my constant emphasis on the word AVERAGE, this is because there will be daily weight fluctuations due to a variety of factors, however it's your balance over time that will show true results.

II. Meal Timing/Frequency

The general consensus (and fact of the matter) is that meal timing/frequency is irrelevant to body composition, and, assuming your dietary intake is the same over this time period, results will not be noticeably different solely based on the factors of meal timing/frequency.

Now, that being said, even some of the biggest names in the world of nutrition (to include our beloved Alan Aragon) have gone to state that does not mean to TOTALLY undermine this aspect of things, with a good rule of thumb being to try and eat something within 2 hours of training (be it pre-/post-) and although 2-3 meals/day will yield LARGELY similar results...there may be something to be said for 3-4 meals/day as SLIGHTLY more 'optimal'

Again though, take it for what it is, and either route you choose, you will likely yield very similar results.

III. Water Intake

Proper hydration should not have to be emphasized, but I'm going to cover it anyways to ensure you're paying attention.
    It's crucial in daily function and can have a drastic toll on your training, and life in general, if you're not hydrated.

There really is no [x] = correct amount here, as it'll vary based on a variety of factors.
    Based on information provided in various websites, a solid general guide seems to be around 5 clear urinations/day.

Training/Workout Program

Beginner Programs
    Starting Strength (Link To Book - MUST PURCHASE)
    All Pro's Beginner's Routine
    Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine
    StrongLifts 5x5

*Feel free to mention/link any program I missed or you feel should be included*

My Outline

Again, I'll offer you options here.

Option A

Full Body
    3x/Week Training Frequency

Outline

Exercises
    Squat / Deadlift / Bench Press
    Leg Press / Bent Over Row / Overhead Press
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Reps x Sets

Compound Lifts : 2 x 6 / 2 x 8 / 1 x 12
    Accessories : 4 x 8

Day 1
    Squat
    Overhead Press
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Bent Over Row
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Day 3
    Bench press
    Leg Press
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Structure

Day 1 , Rest , Day 2 , Rest , Day 3 , Rest , Rest

Option B

Upper / Lower
    2x/Week Training Frequency (Per Day)

Outline

Reps x Sets

Upper Day
    Bench Press (U1) / Deadlift (U2)
    Bent Over Row (U1) / Overhead Press (U2)
    Cable Fly
    Lat Pulldown
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Lower Day
    Squats (L1) / Leg Press (l2)
    Seated Leg Extensions
    Lying Leg Curls
    Seated Calf Raise
    Crunches
    Hyperextensions

Structure

U1 , Rest , L1 , Rest , U2 , L2 , Rest

Cardio During Bulking

Why cardio during when bulking?
    It will increase your appetite, daily caloric intake, and it's a great tool for overall health.

Keep it simple though.

Get yourself 3-4 light intensity (LISS) cardio sessions throughout your training week and call it good.
    Keep them 20-30 minutes in duration.

You could even use it for a warm up/cool down pre-/post- training.
    Get in 10 minutes before lifting to warm the body up, workout, then go ahead and ease out of it with another 10 minutes.

^^^ THIS IS THE METHOD I SUGGEST ^^^

You're already at the gym anyways, so you're much more likely to go through with ACTUALLY DOING YOUR CARDIO.
    As opposed to people doing cardio on off days, I feel there is a much higher risk you'll skip it simply because it's an 'off day' and you're not going to want to get up and do it.

Supplements

Supplements....DON'T BOTHER!

What?!
    But don't we need our post-workout shake and dextrose + 20g/creatine loading phase for peak anaBROlism?!

NO!

During the early stages of your training, your emphasis should be on the basics.
    Training + Nutrition.

Get your diet in check, learn about proper form with your exercises/movements, focus on progression, and you are going to yield GREAT RESULTS, without the addition supplements.

#1 FAQ

How Long Do I Bulk For?

Until you look in the mirror and think yourself 'I'm a disgusting SLOB!'...
    ...okay not quiet, but there is a bit of truth behind it.

Your bulk should continue until you're no longer comfortable with your body fat %.
    Although I try to steer clear of this recommendation because I feel beginners are much more likely to undergo a bit of body dysmorphia during your early stages of bulking, due to the slight increase in fat mass, you will begin to think you need to cut before you really do.

Time Frame Recommendations
    MINIMUM : 6 Months
    RECOMMENDED : 1 Year

Your first bulk is going to be your best.
    Your bodies natural potential for development and growth is at it's highest, take advantage of it!

ADDITIONAL REFERENCES/INFORMATION SOURCES

Threads
    1. Nutrition For Newbies & Must Reads ; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851
    2. DCA (What Does It Mean) ; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=133634471
    3. Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition ; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821
    4. Kelei Routines/Advice ; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=162992991
    5. Beginner's Creatine, Protein & Misc. Supplement FAQ ; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=161791793

Websites
    1. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com
    2. http://www.alanaragon.com
    3. http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/fitnes...schoenfeld.php

It may seem like a lot, but I tried to keep it as short and sweet as possible, yet still cover ALL of what I felt the most crucial/important aspects of this process and help you get underway.

Hopefully you enjoyed it, have learned something from it, and can apply it to help you in your goals.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK!

Post any/all questions regarding bulking in this thread and myself, and some of the other members will happily assist you in answering them.
    Last edited by InItForFitness; 07-20-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

*** ADDITIONALLY ***

As always, I am open to critique/criticism with my post and if any of the members feel like they can make suggestions to tweak it to be better suited for a newcomer, please feel free to drop them ITT.

�USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainleanmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how would you choose what weight to start with, same weight for each lift and what would progression be like?

Full Body
    3x/Week Training Frequency

Outline

Exercises
    Squat / Deadlift / Bench Press
    Leg Press / Bent Over Row / Overhead Press
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Reps x Sets

Day 1
    Squat
    Overhead Press
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Bent Over Row
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Day 3
    Bench press
    Leg Press
    Skull Crushers
    Barbell Curl
    Crunches

Originally Posted by gainleanmuscle View Post
    how would you choose what weight to start with, same weight for each lift and what would progression be like?
    6 rep sets : 85-90% of your 1RM
    8 rep sets : 75-85%
    12 rep sets : 65-75%

To actually determine these numbers.
    Start on the lower end of what you feel is a reasonable estimate and simply use your first couple of training days to dial it in with a weight you're comfortable at.

It shouldn't take much more than the first week to have an idea where these numbers lie.

The big thing about this process, is that all we can really do is give you baselines/starting points, and the MAJORITY of it is going to come through your personal experience when you start hitting the gym and properly dieting.

Progression

5-10lbs bi-weekly should be a more than satisfactory rate of progression.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on your accessory lift progression, sure it can be a bit of a marker for development, but as long as your compound lifts are on a steady incline during the process, I'd say you're doing it just right.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000)
    That was a nice post, thank you for that. I just had a question that would be more general than specific I suppose as it would apply to all diets.

So when someone gets to say a desired weight, and decides they wanna cut back body fat, how does one do that by trying to selectively lose body fat and not muscle mass? Natty of course. I can only assume it doesn't involve cutting calories alone because if that were the case, one could argue that doing the reverse/opposite would allow for muscle only gain, and not fat, no?

Originally Posted by Hemogoblin View Post
    So when someone gets to say a desired weight, and decides they wanna cut back body fat, how does one do that by trying to selectively lose body fat and not muscle mass? Natty of course. I can only assume it doesn't involve cutting calories alone because if that were the case, one could argue that doing the reverse/opposite would allow for muscle only gain, and not fat, no?
    Maybe one day I'll do a follow up edition to this that is based on cutting and provide more detail on the subject.

In regards to your question.

Weight gain/loss will be a function of calories.

Lean mass : Fat ratio during that weight gain or loss period will be a bit more specific to your macronutrients (and of
    course training program, which I'll cover another time after further research)

For example :
    Person A is doing their first cut, but only paying attention to calories and tends to fall short on protein requirements daily.

They will likely notice a significant decrease in muscle mass + strength during the process.

Now, it's their 2nd cut, and they are at the same deficit, but this time also ensuring macronutrient requirements are met.

During this cut they will retain much more mass and strength due to providing the body an adequate amount of protein to support the process.

Hopefully that clarifies a little bit at least,
    I'm posting from mobile now so it's difficult to be as detailed as I'd like.

I'll return tomorrow to answer more questions or correct anything I may miss/mess up.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000) Hemogoblin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    Maybe one day I'll do a follow up edition to this that is based on cutting and provide more detail on the subject.

In regards to your question.

Weight gain/loss will be a function of calories.

Lean mass : Fat ratio during that weight gain or loss period will be a bit more specific to your macronutrients (and of
    course training program, which I'll cover another time after further research)

For example :
    Person A is doing their first cut, but only paying attention to calories and tends to fall short on protein requirements daily.

They will likely notice a significant decrease in muscle mass + strength during the process.

Now, it's their 2nd cut, and they are at the same deficit, but this time also ensuring macronutrient requirements are met.

During this cut they will retain much more mass and strength due to providing the body an adequate amount of protein to support the process.

Hopefully that clarifies a little bit at least,
    I'm posting from mobile now so it's difficult to be as detailed as I'd like.

I'll return tomorrow to answer more questions or correct anything I may miss/mess up.
    So it isn't just overall calories, but rather, macro ratios, correct? So in that light, doing the cut, while decreasing calories, also make sure the protein is kept adequate/optimal, and possibly decrease the carbohydrates as well?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So it isn't just overall calories, but rather, macro ratios, correct? So in that light, doing the cut, while decreasing calories, also make sure the protein is kept adequate/optimal, and possibly decrease the carbohydrates as well?
    Not ratios
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Not ratios
    Fair enough. Maybe "amounts" would be more accurate?

Fair enough. Maybe "amounts" would be more accurate?
    Yes.

I've provided links in the original outline, be sure to read the link for 'Option A' in determining calorie/nutrient needs.

It lays out the specific guideline recommendations.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Yes.

I've provided links in the original outline, be sure to read the link for 'Option A' in determining calorie/nutrient needs.

It lays out the specific guideline recommendations.
    Cheers.

But this then brings up another point: if we know (or think we know) the optimal amounts to get lean while in a calorie deficit, then why not just apply those same principles in reverse to bulk without (or with minimal) fat accumulation?

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm a raw paleo vegan with lactose intolerance who's allergic to nuts, soy & gluten. Can you help me make gains OP?
    Delirious Mutant.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    since you are open to it

*** ADDITIONALLY ***

As always, I am open to critique/criticism with my post and if any of the members feel like they can make suggestions to tweak it to be better suited for a newcomer, please feel free to drop them ITT.

1. I would advise proven structured routines not something you created.
    you routines look heavily lacking in lower body movements (very infrequent squatting in all options)

-->perhaps include links to SS, Lyle's Genric Bulk, a push pull routine, stronglifts, madcows, etc

2. No HIIT?

vastly superior in VO2 max, body comp and is more efficient
    any good program should blend HIIT and LISS IMO

3. Yo dont ned to buy a scale and weigh food
    people have lean bulked for years by using common sense and portion control with balanced eating

4. No where do you make mention of AGE!
    In fact I would strongly advise any developing teen to not do many of the thins you list.
    16 year olds should not be
    weighing food -->could lead to problems and limit enjoyment at a time when food should be something they just do, o one can accurately determine growing/developing teen's needs
    thinking about "cardio sessions"-->sports/extracurricluars

5. no mention of quality of nutrition
    EFAs, fish oil, micros, fiber,

Props for
    a. mentioning that while timing isnt the end all be all, it does make a difference
    b. your emphasis on averages
    c. disclosure of your level of expertise
    d, additional resource links
    e. the time you took to put it together
    Last edited by determined4000; 07-19-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In for new sticky.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good idea Init. One little improvement: Protein : 1g/lb (.5g/kg) should probably be something like 1g/lb (2.2g/kg)

Same for other kg conversions.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 07-20-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000) Growlove21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Awesome thread man.
    Thanks for taking the time to construct this post and contribute to this forum.

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    What is your take on eggs?
    Eat the damn yolk.

Cheers.

But this then brings up another point: if we know (or think we know) the optimal amounts to get lean while in a calorie deficit, then why not just apply those same principles in reverse to bulk without (or with minimal) fat accumulation?
    The same basic principles (but in reverse) do apply for having a lean bulk.
    Keep caloric surplus within a target range (desired weight fluctuations listed in OP) + meet macronutrient sufficiency.

Weight gain/bulking without ANY fat development is (likely) not going to happen, as the body only has so much natural potential to develop muscle mass, and how the EXACT process works...I have no fuking clue, as stated, I'm not a nutritionist, nor do I have degrees in this field, I'm simply another member of the forum attempting to help make the process a bit easier to understand.

Originally Posted by necon76 View Post
    I'm a raw paleo vegan with lactose intolerance who's allergic to nuts, soy & gluten. Can you help me make gains OP?
    Yes.
    Stop doing what you're doing, get unallergic, profit.

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    since you are open to it
    1. I would advise proven structured routines not something you created.
    you routines look heavily lacking in lower body movements (very infrequent squatting in all options)

-->perhaps include links to SS, Lyle's Genric Bulk, a push pull routine, stronglifts, madcows, etc
    I devised my routine more in regards to putting on mass, as opposed to developing strength, which I know a lot will frown on, but it's simply the structure I created and (as stated) they are free to use, or not use it.

However, I will be sure to edit OP or create an additional post with links to these programs, as they are much better constructed than mine.

2. No HIIT?

vastly superior in VO2 max, body comp and is more efficient
    any good program should blend HIIT and LISS IMO
    I actually originally intended to include HIIT as the mid-week cardio program, with the outline being Day 1 , LISS , Day 2 , HIIT , Day 3 , LISS , Rest (for full body) or U1 , LISS , U2 , HIIT , U2 , L2 , LISS (Upper / Lower), but wasn't sure how well beginners would handle the workload + HIIT mid week and how it could (potentially) affect their recovery time.

3. Yo dont ned to buy a scale and weigh food
    people have lean bulked for years by using common sense and portion control with balanced eating
    Agreed, it's a very reasonable approach to go without, again though, simply recommending the route I feel will be BEST in regards to this aspect.

4. No where do you make mention of AGE!
    In fact I would strongly advise any developing teen to not do many of the thins you list.
    16 year olds should not be
    weighing food -->could lead to problems and limit enjoyment at a time when food should be something they just do, o one can accurately determine growing/developing teen's needs
    thinking about "cardio sessions"-->sports/extracurricluars
    Edit : Added to OP as I strongly agree with you on this and felt it necessary to include.

5. no mention of quality of nutrition
    EFAs, fish oil, micros, fiber,
    This was a section I really wanted to include, but didn't really have the space for in the OP and felt it was a section I could sacrifice and simply cover further with anyone who asks questions ITT.

Props for
    a. mentioning that while timing isnt the end all be all, it does make a difference
    b. your emphasis on averages
    c. disclosure of your level of expertise
    d, additional resource links
    e. the time you took to put it together
    Thank you for the support and additional input.

Still have lots to learn (obviously), but I figure this guide can probably make the beginning process a bit easier to understand, and isn't running members around every section of the forum to find answers on the varying topics just to start their training. (although they should be doing this in all honesty)

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    In for new sticky.

No.
    OP is a *******.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Good idea Init. One little improvement: Protein : 1g/lb (.5g/kg) should probably be something like 1g/lb (2.2g/kg)

Same for other kg conversions.
    Thank you, I'll be sure to update it now.

Originally Posted by Growlove21 View Post
    Awesome thread man.
    Thanks for taking the time to construct this post and contribute to this forum.
    Thank you.
    Just figure I can try and help clarify things a little and break them down into an easier to understand process.

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    What is your take on eggs?
    Eat them.
    Daily.
    Last edited by InItForFitness; 07-20-2014 at 04:37 AM.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    but wasn't sure how well beginners would handle the workload + HIIT mid week and how it could (potentially) affect their recovery time.
    I agreed with you on that one. Especially if they're going to do a program that has them squat three times a week there's a great potential for negative effects on recovery and strength progress.

I agreed with you on that one. Especially if they're going to do a program that has them squat three times a week there's a great potential for negative effects on recovery and strength progress.
    My outline doesn't have them squatting 2-3x/week, so I can't really use it as validation, but if they were to select a program that does follow that structure, I agree entirely the workload could simply be too great and the impact could be negative.

Another main reason for me choosing LISS > HIIT is the likelihood of them ACTUALLY doing the cardio.

Everything about this guide is meant to be an ease into period for the more detailed/advanced aspects of training and nutrition.

In my opinion, with the high demand of HIIT and the fact that it just sucks to do, I feel like a beginner is much more likely to skip it because they don't enjoy it, and if that's the case...what good is including it?

LISS may not be 'optimal' to most, but I'm sticking with it.

It's much easier to convince a new trainee to walk on a treadmill, or sit their ass on a stationary bike and simply go at a light/moderate pace for 20 minutes, than it is to have them busting their ass in intervals and slaughtering themselves.

If they know they can sit there and playin their phone or read a book for the entire duration of their cardio, I'll place money on the fact they will be MUCH MORE LIKELY to follow the program than if HIIT was included.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

My outline doesn't have them squatting 2-3x/week, so I can't really use it as validation, but if they were to select a program that does follow that structure, I agree entirely the workload could simply be too great and the impact could be negative.
    To clarify: I was already assuming you were going to include links to the common well known programs: SS, SL, AP etc. Which I think is a good idea.

I agree with the rest of your reasoning not to recommend HIIT at this stage.

To clarify: I was already assuming you were going to include links to the common well known programs: SS, SL, AP etc. Which I think is a good idea.

I agree with the rest of your reasoning not to recommend HIIT at this stage.
    I agree it's a good idea and will be doing so as soon as I access a computer.

CBA to go through the process on mobile.
    Too much of a hassle.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Very well written, and organized. Definitely going to be useful to some of the new members in here--and as said above; in before new sticky.

+Repped.

Originally Posted by TypeNirvash View Post
    Very well written, and organized. Definitely going to be useful to some of the new members in here--and as said above; in before new sticky.

+Repped.
    Still much to learn on my end (especially in regards to programming), and I'm sure overtime the thread will compile lots of great additions from other members.

But you've got to start somewhere and I'm satisfied with the guide as I've constructed it.

It should be a valuable tool, or at least somewhat helpful, to any beginner looking to get underway with the bulking process.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Still much to learn on my end (especially in regards to programming), and I'm sure overtime the thread will compile lots of great additions from other members.

But you've got to start somewhere and I'm satisfied with the guide as I've constructed it.

It should be a valuable tool, or at least somewhat helpful, to any beginner looking to get underway with the bulking process.
    Will keep thread bumped on my nightshifts lol.
    Eat the damn yolk.

*** UPDATE ***

OP has been edited to include links to other/better constructed training programs.
    Be sure to review it and if you feel I missed any, or would like to put your own options out there, please feel free to link them.

�USMC (2009-2013) �

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    Will keep thread bumped on my nightshifts lol.
    I'm hoping between new members reading it and asking questions + experienced members offering input, it should generate a reasonable amount of traffic.

If not though, I keep subbed to it for the random posts, answer any questions, and occasional bumps (if necessary) to get it back out there.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice post Casey.. In on first page
    ~ What is Dead will Never Die Crew

~Add me as a friend on MyFitnessPal & Instagram: StephSkywalker

I also have a Log. Check it out

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152157923

Gym Maxes - 420 Squat/300 Bench/465 Deadlift = 1,185 Total

Originally Posted by StephSkywalker View Post
    Nice post Casey.. In on first page
    Thanks man.
    Although, in all honesty, I feel like this thread will be more valuable based on the contributions of the more experienced members, than simply from my outline alone.

Either way, I think it should be a positive addition to the forum
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice work Casey, I think this is going to be a good read for beginners seriously. It is not "overcomplicated" as many others.
    *MMDELAD crew*

heaviest: 228lbs
    lightest: 107lbs
    Bulking!